Hi,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 01:54:59PM +0200, Nhan Ngo Dinh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please find it attached.

Great!

A few notes below.

> Best regards,
> Nhan
>
> VMware vCenter/ESX STONITH Module
> =================================
>
> 1. Intro
> --------
>
> VMware vCenter/ESX STONITH Module is intended to provide STONITH support to
> clusters in VMware Virtual Infrastructures. It is able to deal with virtual
> machines running on physically different HostSystems (e.g. ESX/ESXi) by using
> VMware vSphere Web Services SDK
> http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/
> and connecting directly on each HostSystem or through a VMware vCenter: in
> this
> last case the module locates the specified virtual machine in the Virtual
> Infrastructure and performs actions required by cluster policies.
>
> 2. Software requirements
> ------------------------
>
> VMware vSphere CLI, which includes both CLI tools and Perl SDK
> http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/ . The plugin has been tested
> with
> version 4.1  http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VCLI41
>

> 3. vCenter/ESX authentication settings
> --------------------------------------
>
> Create the credentials file with credstore_admin.pl:
>
> /usr/lib/vmware-vcli/apps/general/credstore_admin.pl \
>   -s 10.1.1.1 -u myuser -p mypass
>
> This should create $HOME/.vmware/credstore/vicredentials.xml
> Copy it to a system folder, e.g. /etc
>
> cp -p $HOME/.vmware/credstore/vicredentials.xml /etc
>

> 4. Testing
> ----------
>
> The plugin can be invoked directly to perform a very first connection test
> (replace all the provided sample values):
>
> VI_SERVER=10.1.1.1 \
>   VI_CREDSTORE=/etc/vicredentials.xml \
>   HOSTLIST="hostname1=vmname1;hostname2=vmname2" \
>   RESETPOWERON=0 \
>   /usr/lib/stonith/plugins/external/vcenter gethosts

This is not the right way to test manually. Best to use
stonith(8):

stonith -t external/vcenter VI_SERVER=10.1.1.1 \
   VI_CREDSTORE=/etc/vicredentials.xml \
   HOSTLIST="hostname1=vmname1;hostname2=vmname2" \
   RESETPOWERON=0 -lS

or

# export VI_SERVER=10.1.1.1 \
   VI_CREDSTORE=/etc/vicredentials.xml \
   HOSTLIST="hostname1=vmname1;hostname2=vmname2" \
   RESETPOWERON=0
# stonith -t external/vcenter -E -lS

Another thing, there's an external program ha_log.sh, guaranteed
to be in the path, which can be used for logging. Though I can't
recall seeing any logging in the plugin, perhaps you should do
some. If you use stonith(8) it will print log messages to
stdout/stderr.

> If everything works correctly you should get:
>
> hostname1
> hostname2
>
> When invoked in this way, the plugin connects to VI_SERVER, authenticates with
> credentials stored in VI_CREDSTORE and tries to retrieve the list of virtual
> machines (case insensitive) matching vmname1 and vmname2 (and any other
> listed).
> When finished, it reports the list back by mapping virtual machine names to
> hostnames as provided in HOSTLIST. If you see the full list of hostnames as a
> result, then everything is going well. If otherwise you are having a partial
> or
> empty list, you have to check parameters.
>
> You can even test "reset", "off" and "on" commands, to test (carefully!) the
> full chain. E.g.
>
> VI_SERVER=10.1.1.1 \
>   VI_CREDSTORE=/etc/vicredentials.xml \
>   HOSTLIST="hostname1=vmname1;hostname2=vmname2" \
>   RESETPOWERON=0 \
>   /usr/lib/stonith/plugins/external/vcenter reset hostname2

Ditto, use stonith ... -T reset/on/off node

> In the above examples the referring infrastructure is a vCenter with several
> ESXi nodes. Server IP and credentials are referred to vCenter.
>
> 5. CRM configuration
> --------------------
>
> The following is a sample procedure to setup STONITH for an HA 2-node cluster
> (replace all the provided sample values):
>
> crm configure primitive vfencing stonith::external/vcenter params \
>   VI_SERVER="10.1.1.1" VI_CREDSTORE="/etc/vicredentials.xml" \
>   HOSTLIST="hostname1=vmname1;hostname2=vmname2" RESETPOWERON="0" \
>   op monitor interval="60s"
>
> crm configure clone Fencing vfencing
>
> crm configure property stonith-enabled="true"

BTW, didn't notice this earlier, could you make parameters lower
case. All or at least most other stonith plugins use lower case
parameter names.

Cheers,

Dejan