On 2011-06-15 15:50, Alan Robertson wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 06:03 AM, Florian Haas wrote:
>> On 2011-06-14 13:08, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
>>> Hi Alan,

>>> That makes sense.
>> Does it really? Then what would be the point of having some params that
>> are unique, and some that are not? Or would the tuple of _all_
>> parameters marked as unique be considered unique?
>>
> I don't know what you think I said, but A multi-part key to a database
> is a tuple which consists of all marked parameters.  You just said what
> I said in a different way.
>
> So we agree.

Jfyi, I was asking a question, not stating an opinion. Hence the use of
a question mark.

So then, if the uniqueness should be enforced for a "unique key" that is
comprised of _all_ the parameters marked unique in a parameter set, then
what would be the correct way to express required uniqueness of
_individual_ parameters?

In other words, if I have foo and bar marked unique, then one resource
with foo=1 and bar=2, and another with foo=1, bar=3 does not violate the
uniqueness constraint. What if I want both foo and bar to be unique in
and of themselves, so any duplicate use of foo=1 should be treated as a
uniqueness violation?

Florian