https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/IPv6addr.c

>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally found some time to get the code on GitHub.
>>
>> https://github.com/perrit/dovecot-ocf-resource-agent
>>
>> As you can see it's kind of hard to merge the code in the same way as
>> IPv6addr.c as it currently spans multiple files. Would you like me to
>> just
>> put it in a directory? Maybe it's a good idea to split the dovecot part
>> and
>> the mailbox login part, so that there's a mailbox login resource agent
>> becomes more like the ping resource agent?
>
> I really hate to say it, since you obviously invested quite a
> bit of time to put together this agent, but C is arguably not
> the best suited programming language for resource agents. I
> guess that's why all init scripts are, well, shell scripts. And
> all but one of our OCF resource agents. The code is around
> 4kloc, which is as big as some of our subsystems. That's a lot
> of code to read and maintain.
>
> Was there a good reason to choose C for the implementation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dejan

Hi Dejan,

Sorry for the late reply.

Well I the wanted to automatically decide which interfaces should be
monitored (POP3/IMAP). I had a lot of trouble parsing with sh/bash, so I
decided this would easier to do in C. Most of the code is needed to imitate
the ocf bash functions in C, if those functions could be provided in a
library (which others could also benefit from of course), the resource
agent itself can be much, much smaller.

Maybe the the POP3/IMAP login part can be split from the dovecot specific
part, and provide a seperate resource agent, much like the ping resource
agent. So that other POP3/IMAP servers like courier or perdition for
example can also be monitored. The resource agent for the dovecot service
itself can then simply be written in sh/bash.

If I ever want to write a new resource agent, is there a list of basic
requirements somewhere to get the resource agent included?

Regards,
Jeroen