On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:08:17PM +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:

> >>BTW: I just noticed that the DTD is also checked into mercury. So
> >>which
> >>is the authoriative version? mercury or wiki?
> >
> >i think it's wiki, but i'm really not sure. alan?
>
> mercurial is

right. is it possible to edit the dtd in wiki? it shouldn't be.

> >>The unclear part is that there is 3 things that can be reversed.
> >>"x" vs "y", "start" vs "stop" or "before" vs "after".
> >
> >the first and the last don't make sense.
> >
> >>I've updated the DTD to specifically state that it is the action and
> >>type that is reversed in the symmetrical rule.
> >>
> >>[...]
> >>
> >>Interesting. Any more information?
> >>The changelog includes
> >> + Support weak and uni-directional collocation constraints (FATE
> >>   300792).
> >>but I see no mention of "weak" or "uni-directional" in the DTD or
> >>anywhere else in the documentation.
> >
> >unfortunately our master of crm is not available right now. i'll
> >try to explain what it is about: a group of resources or an
> >ordered set of resources used to behave like a unit. one of them
> >goes down, the others follow. that hasn't been quite right,
> >because one would expect those resources which are "under" (in
> >terms of order, started before) to keep running. in other words, a
> >colocation should mean that the two things, if they run, must run
> >on the same node, but it should not imply that they depend on each
> >other. that was particularly important for non-grouped resources,
> >because one common scenario is that two resources which are
> >independent of each other both depend on a third one.
> >
> >i'm afraid that the documentation hasn't been updated.

> >>I should probably be more explisit:
> >>In an example with resource A(filesystem), B(database), C(webserver)
> >>where A must be started before B before C on the same host. What
> >>would
> >>the natural colocation rules be?
> >
> >you're talking about order here. one can only assume that ABC
> >should run on the same host.
> >
> >>I assume one colocation rule between A and B. Does the direction
> >>matter?
> >
> >no.
>
> it does
>
> A -> B also says that B can run if A cant, but if B cant run then A
> cant either.

oops. that's overloading collocations, isn't it. i thought that the
"this can run independently of the other" would have been governed
by an additional ordering constraint. sth like:

- A and B are collocated
- A starts before B

then we can assume that B depends on A to run. wouldn't that be
more logical?

if the user doesn't give an ordering constraint, then the two are
independent of each other, but probably depend on some third
resource. in which case it should be ok not to mess with the one
in case the other leaves.

> if you want neither to run if the other cant... then there is some
> option to allow this (but i forget what its called)
>

> >>What about C - does it matter if the rule colocates it with A or B
> >>since
> >>they must both be running on the same system anyway?
> >
> >no.
> >
> >you should be able to say that A and B should run on the same
> >node, ditto for B and C, and a rule for A and C will be implied.
> >if it doesn't, then we have a bug.

> >>Well, I assumed that there were some subtile difference between
> >>"A colocate B score INFINITY" and "B colocate A score INFINITY". But
> >>maybe I was wrong about this?
> >>
> >>But my question was if "A colocate B score -INFINITY" is the same
> >>as "B
> >>colocate A score -INFINITY".
> >
> >yes.
>
> no - see above

hmm, could you please elaborate on this one. this is saying that
the two resources are not to run on the same host. then, if we our
out of nodes, the scores should be calculated to see which matters
more, no?

> >>If the colocation rules are all bi-directional and it doesn't matter
> >>

> they're not
>

> >>what order it is specified in it's pretty simple, but belive Alan
> >>explained it wasn't that simple.
> >
> >alan?
> >
> >>--
> >>Ragnar Kj?rstad