On 2008-02-01T15:29:55, Dejan Muhamedagic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >   It turns out that the suicide stonith plugin doesn't work with crm in
> > v2.1.3.
> >
> >   The reason is crm stopping all managed resources on the node before
> > it is fenced. However, when the suicide stonith resource is moved
> > away, it can't suicide the node anymore.
>
> :)

I think the "best" answer here is that "suicide" should be a basic
capability of a cluster member - and running w/o any plugin loaded
explicitly at all, possibly autoloaded? This would work around this
bit.

> >   I saw some discussion about the suicide plugin on this list before,
> > but seems nobody actually used it.
> >
> >   Can we have workaround on this ?
> The stonith daemon prevents node from shooting itself. I wonder
> if it ever worked or, if it did, it must have been with some
> earlier version of stonithd. One good reason for such a behaviour
> is that, obviously, the cluster can't get confirmation of such a
> stonith operation.

This is not quite true. The cluster cannot get direct confirmation from
the device which pulled the plug, but we're talking probabilities here.

(There always is a certain probability that even such devices go wrong,
and report success after either not fencing or fencing the wrong node.)

So, as I've explained elsewhere, the suicide plugin could be made so
robust that indeed it can be trusted - my preferred option would be for
it to send a coded, non-replayable UDP packet just 1s before committing
suicide (in the most reliable method available - local hardware
watchdog and/or directly invoking the kernel), and if the node then
stops pinging within 3s (or whatever, as long as it is as low-level as
possible), to indeed report success to the other cluster nodes.

Regards,
    Lars