On 2008-02-21T15:08:52, Doug Lochart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  > after the negotiating phase. Alert someone about this incident.
> >  >     pri-lost "echo pri-lost. Have a look at the log files. | mail -s
> >  > 'DRBD Alert' [EMAIL PROTECTED]";
> >  >
> >  > This just tells me that this node was primary and now is in secondary.
> >  >  Before it becomes primary again it needs to be the target
> >  > of a sync.  Here I simply send an email notifying me that this happened.
> >  >
> >  > What I do not understand is how does the sync materialize?  I assume
> >  > that this is always manual task?
> >
> >  It happens automatically, and it means the primary gets data
> >  overwritten, which is rather bound to upset the applications/fs on top.
>
> Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your comment but you do not sound
> happy that it happens automatically.  I don't want a corrupt fs
> either.  So what _should_ I do ?  I am getting really confused. On one
> hand it looks like many things are automated with heartbeat and drbd
> but then it seems like automation is causing more problems.

The above scenario should _never_ happen on a cluster with fencing
working. It can only occur if both sides where primary, if I'm not
mistaken.

> When a primary node goes down _hard_ and a secondary takes over there
> is no telling what the state of the shared resource is in between both
> nodes.  Assuming the secondary is OK it will be come primary but the
> old primary has a drbd partition in an unknown state.  When it comes
> back online then what does one do?

It becomes secondary first and resyncs, which is fine. Because it has a
connection to the node with good data, it can even be promoted to
primary safely, though the cluster prefers to run the primary on the
SyncSource.

Regards,
    Lars