Hi Karl,

Karl Katzke wrote:

> Actually, I believe that the different vendor implementations of "lights
> out" systems (DRAC, HP/Compaq ILO, various others) *do* support that in
> various ways and fashions. Dell's RAC has a battery that lasts for up to 30
> minutes last time I read it's specs. Regardless, with a "lights out" card
> watching the server, you have two paths to positively query the status of a
> node at the node itself, which is enough to be 90% sure it's dead.

if the RAC is on battery, then you could be 100% sure.

> The switched PDU devices in question, generally made by APC, have some
> instabilities and, well, 'difficulties' in their implementations that are
> not well-documented or intuitive. Some models don't inter-operate well with
> other models in a mixed environment. And there's no positive feedback from
> the node itself; you still don't know if the server's dead or just

but you receive the feedback from the PDU itself, which is reliable.

> unreachable due to a NIC failure. Checking that the ports you THINK the

no, no, if you switch off the appropriate outlets, then you are 100% sure
the node is down.

> power is on isn't bad, but if the PDU is dead or your well-meaning coworker
> changed the placement of the plugs, well...

I would say you have a double failure here.

> A decent design with DRAC is to have two switches. With the nodes that are
> on Switch A, put the DRAC interfaces on Switch B, and vice versa. Switch A
> and B should have separate battery backups; APC does make 'dumb' hot-fail
> power switches that work reliably.

I'm not sure what devices you are referring to here.  Are these UPSs?

Regards,

   Peter