I believe I figued out what the problem was.  When I unisntalled the version
of mysql that I got from yum and installed the enterprise verion (one of the
differences being that one uses /etc/init.d/mysqld and the other uses
/etc/init.d/mysql) and it suddenly works, which leads me to believe that the
mysqld init script is not LSB compliant where the mysql one is.

The next thing to figure out is stonith, but I have to wait until I have the
resources available to get started with that.  Thank you all for your
support thus far!