On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:42:04AM -0600, Serge Dubrouski wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Lars Ellenberg
> <lars.ellenb...@linbit.com> wrote:

> >> Maybe I misunderstood Andrew's comment. I read it this way:  If we
> >> introduce a new state "suboptimal", would it be hard to detect it?
> >>
> >> I just wanted to express that detecting suboptimality seems not to be
> >> that hard.
> >
> > But that state is useless for pacemaker,
> > since it cannot do anything about it.
>
> Looks like a lot of people, including myself, are still confused with
> this statement. Basically this state of DRBD resource is unstable and
> resource is unusable, why do you think that this is normal for
> Pacemaker to report a such state as Ok state?

It is usable. It is being used.
It is at least as usable as a degraded RAID1.
Pacemaker cannot do anything about that missing disk, either.

Of course you can patch pacemaker to detect that the RAID1 is degraded,
and trigger faxing a PO to your supplier for a replacement drive.

But possibly you should rather have some monitoring (nagios, ...) notice this,
page/email/alert with your favorite method the relevant people, and have
them take appropriate actions?

--
: Lars Ellenberg