 From: Digimer <li...@alteeve.ca>
To: Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Linux-HA] Corosync on cluster with 3+ nodes

Corosync is used for cluster communications, membership and quorum. It
doesn't care what the cluster is used for. It coordinates nothing. Think
if it like the foundation of a house.

Pacemaker, in turn, doesn't care how members in the cluster come or go,
it only cares about who is a member now and whether or not it has
quorum. When membership changes, it looks at the service(s) on the
cluster and decides if anything should be stopped, started, relocated or
restarted. Think of this as the house on top of the foundation.

So if corosync dies, pacemaker loses it's foundation and falls over
dead. The other node(s) in the cluster will declare the node as failed,
fence it and then decide if any services need to be restarted. So if the
node had a VIP, and pacemaker was configured to restart the VIP
elsewhere, it would then do so.

Now, if the VIP itself fails, but all the nodes are healthy, then
pacemaker may simply try to restart the VIP on the same machine. If it
keeps failing, then it may relocate the VIP to another node in the
cluster. This, again, depends on how pacemaker is configured to manage
the VIP.

--
Digimer
access to education?