On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:36:54AM -0400, David Vossel wrote:
> [...]

The scenario is this (please correct me):

There are a number of hosts that can see the PVs for this VG.

Some of them may *not* be part of the pacemaker cluster.

But *ALL* of them have their lvm.conf contain the equivalent of
  global { locking_type = 1 }
  tags { hosttags = 1 }
  activation { volume_list = [ "@*" ] }

If any node is able to see the PVs, but has volume_list undefined,
"vgchange -ay" would activate it anyways.
So we are back at "Don't do that".

> I've tested this specific scenario and was unable to activate the
> volume group manually without grabbing the tag first.  Have you tested
> this and found something contrary to my results?  This is how the
> feature is supposed to work.

See above ;-) no hosttags =1, no volume_list, no checking against it.

Granted, the lvm.conf would be prepared at deployment time,
so let's assume it is setup ok on all hosts accross the site anyways.

Still, I don't see what we gain by
  check tag against my name
  if not me, check tag againts membership list
     not present
     strip all tags and add my name
     try vgchange -ay

instead of doing just
     strip all tags and add my name
     try vgchange -ay

In what scenario (appart from Pacemaker not being able to count to 1)
would the more elaborate version protect us better than the simple one,
and against what?

--
: Lars Ellenberg