The idea behind use exclusive volume activation mode with clvmd was(i
think), have a vg active active and lvs opens just in one node, more lvm
metadata replicated on all cluster nodes, when you'll do a change like lvm
resize.

I have a redhat cluster with clvmd with vg active in exclusive mode, if you
add pv to your volume group, every cluster node knows about the new pv in
the vg, but anyway you cannot active the vg if it's active on other node, i
think clvmd is needed just for replicate the lvm metadata