On 2014-02-05T15:06:47, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> I guess the kernel update is more common than the "just the ocfs2-kmp update"

Well, some customers do apply updates in the recommended way, and thus
don't encounter this ;-) In any case, since at this time the cluster
services are already stopped, at least the service impact is minimal.

> > This would avoid this error too. Or keeping multiple kernel versions in
> > parallel (which also helps if a kernel update no longer boots for some
> > reason). Removing the running kernel package is usually not a great
> > idea; I prefer to remove them after having successfully rebooted only,
> > because you *never* know if you may have to reload a module.
>
> There's another way: (Like HP-UX learned to do it): Defer changes to the
> running kernel until shutdown/reboot.

True. Hence: activate multi-versions for the kernel in
/etc/zypp/zypp.conf and only remove the old kernel after the reboot. I
do that manually, but I do think we even have a script for that
somewhere. I honestly don't remember where though; I like to keep
several kernels around for testing anyway.

I think this is the default going forward, but as always: zypper gained
this ability during the SLE 11 cycle, and we couldn't just change
existing behaviour in a simple update, it has to be manually
activated.

Regards,
    Lars

--