On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 07:42:58PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 28/05/14 05:05 PM, Jay G. Scott wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm a noob.  If this isn't the right place to ask this,
>> let me know.  I took "general configuration questions"
>> to include compiling.
>>
>> OS = RHEL6 (I hope) x86_64
>>
>> I downloaded:
>> Reusable-Cluster-Components-glue--glue-1.0.9.tar.bz2
>> Heartbeat-3-0-7e3a82377fa8.tar.bz2
>> ClusterLabs-resource-agents-v3.9.2-0-ge261943.tar.gz
>>
>> Errr....  I just now noticed this.  Is there a Pacemaker source tarball
>> somewhere?  'Cause I guess I don't have it.
>>

>> I wrote a book on using autotools and making RPMs.
>> Looks like the existing packages could use some work.
>> Heartbeat can't find the libltdl.tar file to install
>> a local version, but I have a feeling the packages
>> I have installed already should make that a moot point.
>>

>> Back to my problem:
>>
>> I compiled and installed
>> Reusable-Cluster-Components-glue--glue-1.0.9.tar.bz2
>>
>> Then I pressed on to Heartbeat.  According to what I read
>> online that's the proper order.
>>
>> 1.  I have a libltdl.so.7 library but the configure script
>> claims it does not have lt_ldopen().  I decided to bluster
>> my way past that, in the hopes that the routine wouldn't
>> really be needed.
>>
>> 2.  But now it can't find ltdl.h, and I can't readily find a
>> way around that.  Ie, I can't find a RH package that
>> has that header file.  libtool and libtool-ltdl are both
>> installed.
>>
>> [root@w1dns ~]# rpm -q -a | grep libtool
>> libtool-2.2.6-15.5.el6.x86_64
>> libtool-ltdl-2.2.6-15.5.el6.x86_64
>>
>> Are there pre-built versions of these things somewhere?
>> I'm not anxious to re-invent the wheel.
>> Are there more parts to this than I have?
>>
>> j.
>
> I think you might want to be sure you're using the right stack.
>
> Trick is, there are two answers for this.
>
> Under RHEL 6, the fully supported stack is corosync + cman + rgmanager.
> This has been Red Hat's stack since it got into the HA game, and will be
> supported until 2020 when RHEL 6 support ends.
>
> The other answer is corosync + pacemaker (+cman). This support is nearly
> complete, but not totally complete. It got out of "Tech Preview" at the
> end of the 6.4 stream and is effectively fully supported on 6.5 an
> onward. Further, this will be the only supported stack on RHEL 7 and
> forward.
>
> In either case, heartbeat is long deprecated (though still supported by
> Linbit, whom Red Hat has a support deal with). It has not been actively
> supported in years and there is no plan to restart development in the
> future. So please, do not use it.
>
> If you're curious about the reasons for all this, I have an
> incomplete-but-still-hopefully-helpful history of HA coming together
> here:
>
> https://alteeve.ca/w/History_of_HA_Clustering

i made a note to go check this.

> So to best help you, can I ask what your near and long-term goals are?

joke's on me:

yeah, you can ask.  and as of about 15 minutes ago they changed.

near term -- now, nothing.
longer term -- looks like i'd need to move to Centos or one of the
other cost-free OSes.  sigh.

so, thanks -- sincerely -- for the RH answer.
what's the answer for ...  Centos, I guess...?  And it does
embarrass me to have to ask that.

j.

> Once you've identified which stack is best for your use-case, we can
> better help you identify compilation issues (or if you need to be
> compiling anything at all).
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Digimer
> Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca/w/
> What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without
> access to education?

Jay Scott               512-835-3553            g...@arlut.utexas.edu
Head of Sun Support, Sr. System Administrator
Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.                   S224
University of Texas at Austin