:
: Ham Packet Radio is Dead
:
:   Karl Larsen K5DI
:
:   February 14, 1999
:
: I got started on Packet in 1986 when I and another ham .....

I respond:

Its true that BBS's, at least up here in Northern Minnesota are just about
finished.  Just a few years ago I could reach 4 with two or fewer hops, now
only a single BBS remains in service, and is underutilized.  Wouldn't
surprise me if the sysop pulled the plug.

But our DX packetcluster network has remained strong.  I attribute this to
the fact that the two services differ completely in the need for speed.  In
the case of the BBS no one, hardly anyone, can put up with the slow speed of
radio access to a BBS, but for DX packet cluster the DX spots typically are
several minutes apart, even 1200 packet is adequate for a single line of
data every few minutes.  Our users typically stay connected around the clock
and since the system is 'local', if you can call an entire state local, the
packet cluster contributes to keeping a group of like minded DX'ers
together.

At least I think DX packetcluster will continue with radio links for a
while...although the arrival of continuously connected i-net access as Karl
describes does have the potential to change even this.

One new developement is PSK31, which is very new and is growning rapidly.
It supports very weak signal detection  I believe there is a Linux program
for PSK31.   If you searching for a new challenge this could be it.

There are certainly obvious contradictions in Ham Radio.  I remember the
evening when I worked VK0IR on Heard Island on 75 SSB finally managing to
get through the pile ups (I got them on 12 band/modes).  It was late, I was
climbing into bed and the phone rang.  It was Glenn W0GJ, phoning me on a
satellite phone from Heard!  Non hams would think we are crazy to string
antennas, build towers, strain to pull out weak phone or CW signals, when
you can just dial direct!

So as long as we remain crazy I think there is still hope, even for packet!

Ron N5IN