On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Gerd wrote:

> When we boot up our Linux Box, we set the NET/ROM routes that
> are necessary to have up for us, eg. for FBB forwarding, using the
> nrparms command as described in the AX.25-HOWTO.
> Unfortunately, the NET/ROM part of the kernel seems to have
> difficulties to recognize these routes.
>
> An example:
>
> nrparms -nodes  radio

Err??? That command shouldn't work in any circumstances. Are you sure you
typed right? You can see the correct parameters from "man nrparms" or even
simply "nrparms -nodes".

> should set up the NET/ROM subsystem in a way that a
>
> cat /proc/net/nr_nodes
>
> shows an entry with VK2XLZ-10 in it. But sometimes, this entry is
> missing, allthough the nrparms command seemed to be processed
> without an error.

Whose call is that VK2XLZ-10? Yours? Or is it a neighbouring node? Or a
distant node?

> We actually have the NET/ROM routes setup in our Packet Radio
> initialization script that runs at boot time, after setting and
> initializing the NET/ROM ports and loading netromd, of course. In
> most cases the correct route entries are achieved if we enter the
> nrparms commands manually after a console login.

I'm a bit lost as to what you are trying to do. For a basic setup you
should only need to start netromd and let it do it's work - broadcasting
your routes and collecting routing info from broadcasts from other nodes.

Later you can use nodesave to save your routing congiguration, edit it to
contain only the most important ones and then use that script at boot to
quickly restore them. Or like on our BBS where I dump the routes with
"nodesave" to a file every half hours from cron so in case the system
crashes or needs to be shut down, I always have a fresh copy to load at
boot.

> Does it take the NET/ROM subsystem a longer time to initialize
> than we expect? If not, what other reason is possible for this
> behaviour of NET/ROM?

Well one thing is that if you don't use "-i" option for netromd, it won't
start sending node broadcasts until after some time (interval time,
default 60mins).

> The background for asking you this is that we want to have this box
> running without any user  or root intervention to be necessary for
> running the AX.25 services.

Well that's the only correct way!

--
--... Tomi Manninen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU ...--