This point is interesting. I have a MS-400 card modified for sharing
an interrupt, now it is set for IRQ7, so all four ports share IRQ7.
This WORKED with BPQ.

My copy of Slackware 3.3 insists on detecting the standard four ports
at boot. Later, on a setserial script, I set the proper adresses and
IRQ. I needed to use ^fourport.

It works OK with ONE PORT on this card. It is 0x3E8, and it has my
KPC-2 for the two meters port. When I attempted to put a second port
on this card then it stopped working, leaves the STA LED on and
refuses to work. So now I am using a four por card for just ONE RF
port.

I have thought of preparing a small card with dangling wires to
attach each 16450 to a free and independent IRQ from 10 to 15. I have
had no time to do a proper job so far.

Must this be that way ? Is there any hidden mistake of mine or using
independent IRQ's is the ONLY way out ?

73 de Jose, CO2JA

--------

On  2 Feb 99 at 17:26, Damian A Ivereigh wrote:

> You may have problems with this. COM3 shares the same interrupt as
> COM1 and COM4 shares the same interrupt as COM2. You can get away with
> this under DOS, being a single task OS (which was what it
> was designed for) as long as you are careful what devices shared the
> interrupt such that they never got used at the same time (e.g. two
> different sorts of modems).
>
> You *can* do this under Linux, but the performance isn't great. You
> should check out the man page for "setserial", it talks at great
> length about the problem and how to get around it.
>
> Damian
>
> > robby wrote:
> >
> > I need advice to make use 2 additional ports as COM3, and COM4.
> > On board, 2 ports (COM1/COM2) exists already.
> > Question is what utility I can possibly have, to detect the 2
> > additional ports?
> >
> > Thanks
> > robby
>
> --

> * Damian Ivereigh     *      ||        ||      * Cisco Systems, Inc.
> *
> * MIS Printer Admin   *    .||||.    .||||.    * Sydney, Australia
> *
> * Linux Bigot         * ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. * +61 2 8448 7344
> *
> * [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *   cisco Systems, Inc.  * Fax: +61 2 8448 7228
> *
> ---

 Ing. Jose A. Amador          | Telf: (537) 20-7814
 Depto de Telecomunicaciones  | E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ISPJAE                       |