Jose Angel Amador Fundora wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JAAF> This point is interesting. I have a MS-400 card modified for
 JAAF> sharing  an interrupt, now it is set for IRQ7, so all four
 JAAF> ports share IRQ7.  This WORKED with BPQ.

We sold a lot of those.  There was a factory version, the MU-400, which was set
up for sharing the same IRQ across all four ports as supplied.  (By an odd
coincidence, the nomenclature was that the "U" was the "Unix" model.)

 JAAF> My copy of Slackware 3.3 insists on detecting the standard
 JAAF> four ports  at boot. Later, on a setserial script, I set the
 JAAF> proper adresses and  IRQ. I needed to use ^fourport.

This is normal.

 JAAF> It works OK with ONE PORT on this card. It is 0x3E8, and it
 JAAF> has my  KPC-2 for the two meters port. When I attempted to
 JAAF> put a second port  on this card then it stopped working,
 JAAF> leaves the STA LED on and  refuses to work. So now I am
 JAAF> using a four por card for just ONE RF  port.

 JAAF> I have thought of preparing a small card with dangling wires
 JAAF> to  attach each 16450 to a free and independent IRQ from 10
 JAAF> to 15. I have  had no time to do a proper job so far.

 JAAF> Must this be that way ? Is there any hidden mistake of mine
 JAAF> or using  independent IRQ's is the ONLY way out ?

The issue may be your modifications rather than the card or driver.  I know of
no reason why an MS-400 properly modified to share one IRQ would have any
problem under Linux.  It is important that you modify the hardware so that the
lines are wire-or'ed using diodes and a pull-up resistor rather than floated
high, or the card will be unreliable.  We have used both MS-400 and stock
MU-400 cards under Linux with a single IRQ serving all four ports.

-- Mike