terry wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 t> What I'm imagining by way of a web site would require a
 t> relational database at the back end though, something like
 t> MySql, etc. and preferably something like PHP3 supported by the
 t> server.

My understanding is that you want a site where software authors and package
maintainers could submit updates directly?  I think PHP3/SQL might be overkill
for that.  Personally, I would think that an e-mail processor in Perl or some
other simple language would be much easier to implement and support, and that a
web form interface could then be developed as an optional front-end to the
e-mail interface.  Data could be stored in flat text files, as long as the
number of entries did not exceed several hundred.

We do have PHP3 running in connection with Apache and PostgreSQL, and it is a
very powerful system, but I suspect it might be more work than needed in this
case.  What you want is certainly no more sophisticated from a database point
of view than the Debian bug tracking system, and that is written in Perl.

-- Mike