According to Joerg Reuter DL1BKE: While burning my CPU.

> Hi Richard,

Hi Joerg and thanks for the reply.

> > I use 2.4c on all of my machines, i dont have 8530's i use 85230's.
>
> Oh, they should work flawlessly.
>
> > I dont think they are Zilog either,
>
> AMD then. But they are okay. But I wonder why it happens with ESCCs
> at all...

Lets hope we can find out.

> > Considering what you say about interrupts, i could write a small script to
> > monitor TxUnderruns, then when the interface stops working i would then see
> > if the count increased or not, is that a good idea >?? while i'm at it, i
> > will include NoSpace errors as well.
>
> It's at least worth a try.

I have a script in place now under cron on the problem machine, who knows it
might shed some light on the problem. Runs every 5 minutes.

As soon as a TxUnder is detected the contents of /proc/net/z8530drv is
mailed to me, if the interface dies there is the other script which will
restart the interface, then with the help of timestamps and information in a
logfile from the script, i should be able to see what went on.

> Hmm, the soft-dcd discussion... I think it was my fault, had some problems
> with mail mysteriously disappearing on my system after upgrading to nmh
> (the new MH system does not lock folders when adding mail with rcvstore
> and before I noticed and fixed my .procmailrc several mails got down the
> drain.)

Never mind, we all have problems now and again ;-)

--
Regards Richard.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]