On Fri, 21 May 1999, Phil Maley wrote:

> For a long time I had our bbs set up so that incoming telnet
> connections would bring up a NODE response instead of the
> standard TELNET login. I had set this up by making the entries
> in /etc/services as follows:
>
> telnet        24/tcp
> node          23/tcp

I definitely wouldn't recommend messing with the standard service names
like that. Instead you could make up a new service like "telnet2" and have
your telnet daemon listen on that port (inetd.conf). Ie. /etc/services:

 telnet         23/tcp
 telnet2        24/tcp

And /etc/inetd.conf:

 telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/node  node
 telnet2 stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

> It worked fine until I upgraded the machine to RedHat 5.2. After that,
> telnet originating from the machine would try to access port 24 on the
> distant machine. It seems the telnet software on our box now checks
> /etc/services to see what port it should be using instead of assuming
> that it should be 23.

Yes. As should any correctly done program. Unfortunately quite a few
programs take the values from header files or have them hard coded in the
source.

> Richard's suggestion of calling the non-standard telnet port something
> different looks like it might overcome my problem, but it might also
> leave /etc/services with no entry labelled "telnet". Does anyone know
> what really happens and whether the lack of any "telnet" entry will
> cause problems?

If you don't have a _correct_ entry (23) for telnet in your /etc/services
there is a good chance you will run into trouble. For starters your
"telnet" program won't behave, as you already noticed...

--
--... 73 de Tomi   /   OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU   /   [EMAIL PROTECTED] ...--