Hi Jonathan.

 >> - you can resize the window although it does not resize the
 >>   map, it's a bit confusing.

 > Not so easy to do. I may look into it, but I am not so sure its
 > very easy. That was one of the reasons for including multiple
 > maps, to remove the need to zoom the map in any particular area,
 > and hence remove the need for window resizing.

I'm not sure what you're using to do that project, but our group on
the B.Sc. Computing here at Aberdeen University, Scotland, had to do
an auto-zooming map of Aberdeen Harbour as part of the said project.
The project was done using Tcl/Tk and the zooming was one of the
easier things about the project.

I do remember that we needed to have the map in vector form, not
bitmap form, for that to work, and I'm not sure how easy it would be
to get a map of the world in vector form, but if this was done, then
it shouldn't be hard to also support maps showing just part of the
earth, rather than all of it.

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |
 * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html