Replying to myself:

For those who need a fix NOW, like I did.

> I've noticed that with the 2.2.x kernal that ifconfig no longer shows
> a broadcast address for kiss ports (ax0 etc.)  And while ifconfig acts
> as if it sets it, nothing shows up.
>
> Anyone know whats happened here?    It's completely broken my
> rip broadcasts from 'gated'.

In /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c add the following line.

#include <linux/if.h>

And in the function 'ax25_init(struct device *dev)' change the fourth line from
the end of the function from:
       dev->flags      = 0;
       dev->flags      = IFF_BROADCAST;

This restores the ability to view and set the broadcast address.  My modified gated now
works fine.

WARNING,  I do not know if  in the grand scheme of things this is the proper fix as
I've not yet
fully analyzed the rest of the code, but it does work for me.

Ken, N7IPB