On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Jan Wasserbauer wrote:

> Is there any reason why linux/net/ax25/af_ax25.c - ax25_get_info()
> disables interrupts ?

Probably because ax25_get_info reads kernel internal tables that could be
changed from an interrupt. You would crash the kernel nicely if you
happened to be just reading an ax25 control block that is suddenly
removed from an interrupt...

> This causes problems with BayCom modem (and possibly others) since
> its driver cannot receive interrupts from serial port while
> something is reading /proc/net/ax25. TNT reads it every 300ms
> which makes it unusable with BayCom modem (255B packets just can't
> get into 300ms on 1200bd)

IMHO TNT is broken in this case. Why does it need to read it so often? Ah,
don't tell me, the DOS version shows that info too...? ;)

> PS: strerror() returns inet-style link state messages which are
>     sometimes quite confusing to PR users (like "Connection timed out").

Why is that confusing? Timed out _is_ timed out.

>     What about some ax25_strerror() (in libax25 probably) which
>     would return PR-style warnings (like "Link failure") ?

This on the other hand is under concideration already. It is possible
Craig has already written some code, I don't know. Anyway it will be only
error messages that are specific to libax25, eg. "Invalid callsign", "Port
xxx not active" etc.

--
--- Tomi Manninen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU ---