Tomi Manninen OH2BNS said:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 02:24:43AM +0000, Jorge Matias wrote:
> > > Probably you don't have symbolic links:
> > >   /usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386
> > >   /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> >
> > And be glad that you don't, because you shouldn't.
>
> Oh? Really? Then how come a _LOT_ of my glibc headers include <linux/*.h>
> and/or <asm/*.h> ? Is glibc supposed to replace all those some day (good
> luck!) ?
A lot? Hmm, I have approximately 20 headers including linux/*, mostly in
the net,netinet and sys areas and they're probably grabbing magic
numbers and about 10 headers including asm/* also mostly in netinet and
sys.

Assuming a lot is more than 30, the difference lies in the distribution.
I have resisted the temptation to launch into yet another tirade at the
totally brokeness of some distro's headers. Most people know my
opinions already about that.

The main thing is you should not include anything in linux/* or asm/*
directly.  Sometimes you have to, but that is a problem/bug with
whatever it is you are compiling.  Also very new stuff you will have to
do this.

Yes, the general idea is to remove or reduce the number of linux/*.h and
asm/*.h headers and other headers that include them. There are very good
reasons for doing so.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ, PGP: AD 8D D8 63 6E BF C3 C7  47 41 B1 A2 1F 46 EC 90
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>