Unless things have changed significantly, the computing power required
to do *accurate*, MS, Tropo & EME predictions is well beyond that of
the average ham and his/her PC.

Interesting idea though, one could guage LOS terrestrial QSO
possibilities by keeping tabs on grids referenced say to an
mheard.dat file.

jk

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, John R. Moseby wrote:
> I don't know if this helps, but I have thought that would be
interesting > to add topographic and propagation capabilities to an
APRS tool like > Xastir.  This would give somewhat automatic data
input to the tool from > the remote stations themselves and the
possibility of realtime analysis > of mobiles.

> Of course this could work equally well for both HF and other bands.  Now
> if APRS stations just reported operating frequencies you could hunt down
> that friend you were looking for or find someone in that grid square /
> county / country you needed, and actually have an idea if propagation is
> favorable for a contact!
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not a proficient programmer either.
>
> John
> W9OHT

James S. Kaplan KG7FU
Eugene Oregon USA