Hi Gerd,

On Wed 2000-01-19 (09:29), Gerd wrote:
> Hello Hamish, hello all,

> > > Kernel 2.2.14 with 16 MB RAM? Does that really work? Then one can guess that
> > >

> > Certainly, my 2.2.12 packet box is a 486/100 with 16mb, also diskless
> > (ie: no swap!)
>
> Sounds a little bit strange of one has the recommendations for 2.2.x
> (gathered from several information sources) in mind:
>
> Pentium class computer, preferrably 300 MHz and above
> 64 MB RAM or more (the more, the better)
>
> So, I even was a little bit afraid if Slackware 7, which comes with 2.2.13,
> would run on my K6-2/400 with 64 MB RAM - but it does (I am still estonished).

I have no idea where you get this idea from. The 2.2.x kernels are designed
to be better in terms of memory management and swap space management. It is
true that many of my kernels compile to be quite large, but they are usually
smaller than the old RH kernels for 2.0.x kernels.

I experienced a significant improvment in performance for some operations
after upgrading to a 2.2 kernel.

I have run 2.2 kernels on 486sx25s with 16MB of RAM very successfully.

Keep well,
Ray