Jan Wasserbauer wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Gerd wrote:
> >
> > So, I even was a little bit afraid if Slackware 7, which comes with 2.2.13,
> > would run on my K6-2/400 with 64 MB RAM - but it does (I am still estonished).
> >
> I was running Slackware (4.0) on 386/33MHz/8MB RAM/100MB HDD
> (with swap :) ) .. not very fast setup but far sufficient for some tasks
> (and very cheap).
> On the other hand days when 386's were high-end machines are not THAT far
> away.
>
>   Jan

I run Linux on a 386-40 with 20 Mb memory as a firewall, DNS server,
Samba Server, and apache webserver all at once (you may see it at
http://www.wcrklaw.com), with a couple of SCC ports providing AX25
services.  The link to the Internet is a 160 KB DSL link.  A little
analysis will show that none of the communications links comes close to
saturating the AT bus, let alone the processor, so the communications
links, and not the computer, are the choke points.  A 40 MHz 386 or 486
will saturate a T-1 link and still have something left over.

The notion that you need pentium processing power for anything but
shoot-em-up graphics is, at best, good marketing by Intel, and not
nearly true.

73 de K6HS