Linux-Hardware Digest #49, Volume #9             Tue, 29 Dec 98 01:13:35 EST

Contents:
  Strange error, computer hangup !? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  searching: Miro Video 40SVergo PCI  offer $220 (Hans-Dieter Pross)
  Re: PCI Modems & Linux (Henry Wong)
  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!!!! Ethernet Card Trouble !!!!!!! (T1)
  Re: wisecom accelerator pro modem (garv)
  Re: NE2000 clone install on RedHat5.2 / modprobe doesn't do anything (newbie)
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  IBM Think pad 380DX Sound Problems.. ("Donald L. Gover")
  Re: Image browser for linux? (Jay Copeland)
  screen blanking (Darrell Adams)
  Re: Crash on RedHat 5.2 (David Fox)
  100s of FREE products!  8400 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: printing with HP 870cSE (Todd Ostermeier)
  SCSI Tape Drive reading "other" UNIX ("Farrar")
  Re: socket seven multi prosessing
  [Q] Bashee & XF68_FBDev Server error ("Sang-gyu Nam")
  AWE64 under RedHat 5.2 ("Dustin Oprea")
  Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet (Dale Miracle)
  Re: Getting Creative VIBRA16XV onboard sound working (Jeffrey Bridge)
  Powerup Scrambles Compaq 460-P Monitor On Noname Tseng ET4000AX (David L. Craig)
  Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux... (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: Compaq Presario 4240ES (Loose Nut)
  Re: Debian Install: Where did my support aha152x scsi driver go ? (Nick Dreyer)
  Re: Compaq Server hardware compat issues?? (Loose Nut)
  creative exxtreme for x windows ("junhui")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Strange error, computer hangup !?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 02:09:37 GMT

I'm running S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3, kernel 2.0.35. The machine hanged up and after
reboot I found this in /var/log/messages :

 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c86fddb0
 kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0685f000, Xr3 = 0685f000
 kernel: *pde = 00000000
 kernel: Oops: 0002
 kernel: CPU:    0
 kernel: EIP:    0010:[rs_interrupt_single+119/940]
 kernel: EFLAGS: 00013086
 kernel: eax: 00000021   ebx: 0009ebf8   ecx: 086fddb0   edx: 000003fd
 kernel: esi: 00209bf8   edi: 00000004   ebp: 00000000   esp: 0377ff8c
 kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
 kernel: Process X (pid: 22719, process nr: 15, stackpage=0377f000)
 kernel: Stack: 00000018 00000021 20000000 00000004 bffff95c 00117c78 0377ffb0
002228d0
 kernel:        00000000 36768103 0010ca65 00000004 00000000 00000000 08689118
08680934
 kernel:        0000047f 0010bc57 00000004 086fddb0 086fda30 086fda30 0000002b
0000002b
 kernel: Call Trace: [sys_gettimeofday+44/112] [do_fast_IRQ+41/72]
[fast_IRQ4_interrupt+59/96]
 kernel: Code: 08 89 c2 ec 88 c1 8b 54 24 20 89 54 24 10 85 56 24 74 12 47

Why? What does this all mean? Where should I search for the problem?

thanks, rems

        --- Richard Ems                                  ---
        ---- e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       ----
        ----- http://www.schiffbau.uni-hamburg.de/~ems -----
        ------ Fachbereich Informatik                 ------
        ------- Universitaet Hamburg                 -------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans-Dieter Pross)
Crossposted-To:
comp.misc,comp.multimedia,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.msdos.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.misc
Subject: searching: Miro Video 40SVergo PCI  offer $220
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 01:31:47 GMT

we are looking for this video card:

Miro Video 40SVergo PCI  offer $220

plase contact

MetaSystems GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 6
68804 Altlussheim
Germany

Tel. +49-6205-39610
 fax +49-6205-32270
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.metasystems.de/index6.html

i.a.

Volker Loetterle

PS: if i use the a mismatching Newsgroup pease excuse me

------------------------------

From: Henry Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI Modems & Linux
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:31:24 -0500

Tim,

Thanks for the recommendation.  However the modem you refer to is not
PCI bus modem, but an ISA bus modem(internal version).

I don't know about the others, but I need a PCI bus modem that'll work with LINUX.
I only have two ISA bus slots and I already have two cards there, but I have four free
PCI bus
slots.

What I've been able to find on this subject is not very encouraging.  In the Red Hat
web site, I
found the following:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-14.html#ss14.3

Does anyone have any other information?

Henry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T1)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!!!! Ethernet Card Trouble !!!!!!!
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:07:27 GMT

I am trying to install Redhat Linux 5.2 onto my system via FTP since I
am sick and tired of buying Linux by the time a new version always
comes out. Besides, I don't have anymore hard drive space although I
formated a hard drive for RH linux. I am using an SMC PCI 10 Ethernet
card and I have a direct connection via Cox@home. I downloaded both
the supp and boot images and placed them to two floppies, booted via
my floppy, chose FTP as installation option, inserted supp disk, and
then I had no problem choosing NE2000 PCI. However, when I got to the
autoprobing option, I got that annoying and irritating error message
saying "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource Temporarily Unavailable." Anybody got a
solution to this error message?

------------------------------

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wisecom accelerator pro modem
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:23:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> does this modem work under linux
> wisecom's web page doesn't mention it being a winmodem
> anyone had any success w/ it
> tia

 Yes! I am using Wisecom Accelerator Pro 56000 Internal Voice-Fax-Modem
with RH5.2.
It has JUMPER PINS!  (and I had to jump it).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: NE2000 clone install on RedHat5.2 / modprobe doesn't do anything (newbie)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:34:09 GMT

In article <768cl9$p3u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Since I already found my own answer, here's how I solved it (I know there are
a lot of problems configuring netcards under RedHat among newbies)

(please correct me if I'm wrong somewere)

> Hello,
>
> I can't configure my NE2000 compatible ISA netcard under redHat5.2
> All I see while booting: "Delaying eth0 initialization"
>
> I already tried a lot of things:
>
> 1) passing arguments with loadlin: ether=10,0x300 (I'd rather use LILO, but
> can't get it to work; it says "Partition entry not found" on install. Does
> anyone know how to solve this too? (Already tried fdisk /MBR)
>
> 2) modprobe: doesn't give any output! lsmod shows that NO modules are
> installed

this is because depmod/modprobe searched in the wrong dir:
/lib/modules/2.0.36/ instead of /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/ I solved this by
making a symbolic link from the first to the latter.

> 3) insmod /lib/modules/"long-version-number"/net/ne.o io=0x300 irq=10  gives a
> lot of "unresolved symbols" (ei_open, ethdev..., etc.)

So my kernel and modules were incompatible??? I read somewere that the
kernel-image supplied with RedHat is not as "original" as it's supposed to
be(?) And indeed, after installing (over the old one) the
kernel-2.0.36-07.i386.rpm everything worked fine!!!

> 4) I've tried several combinations of irq/io addresses, which all work fine
> under dos
>
> 5) using linuxconf (or directly changing conf.modules, this does basically the
> same, or am I wrong?) I verified/changed io/irq numbers, to match the card's
> EEPROM-config.
>
> Who can help me?
> Gtnx Jeroen

Gtnx Jeroen

From: "Donald L. Gover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: IBM Think pad 380DX Sound Problems..
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:56:38 -0600

I have a ThinkPad 380dx when I run the sndconfig program it finds the
Crystal card as a SoundBlaster at the correct interrupts and DMA channel. It
correctly plays the test sound but when I run the Real audio player all I
get is static.. Any Ideas????

------------------------------

From: Jay Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Image browser for linux?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:02:08 +0000

Blaine Lupulack wrote:

> HAZE wrote:
>
> > >Rod Gasson wrote:

If you want to check out a pic from the commandline - seejpeg works
great for me. That's the only viewer I had for quite some time because
my ports cua ports were no good and i didn't have a rat.

hth

jay

--
   __
  / /     __  __  __  __   __  __  __

------------------------------

From: Darrell Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: screen blanking
Date: 29 Dec 1998 02:59:41 GMT

I have an old problem that I would like to resolve.  I get occasional
screen blanking when running in X.  The screen will go blank for about
1/2 second and then return.  This blanking occurs on some of the
resolutions but not all.  The middle resolutions are the ones I use the
most and they are the afflicted ones.  Depending on what I have running
(and other things that are difficult to pin down) the screen may or may
not blank off and on.  I have tried 8, 16, 24 and 32-bit modes.  That
didn't appear to have an effect on the problem.

video card: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 (4meg of VRAM)
distribution: Redhat 5.0
xfree86 3.3.3 (recently upgraded -- same results)

I do appreciate any help and comments.

Darrell S. Adams

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Crash on RedHat 5.2
Date: 28 Dec 1998 15:43:12 -0800

"Rodrigues Luc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sorry for my poor English.
> My computer decription:
> ASUS P2L97-S (integrated SCSI port AIC7880)
> SDA: HD Micropolis 4343NS SCSI ID=0 Terminateur ( Windows NT 4.0, NTFS
> Boot) not visible on Linux unmouted partition (NTFS).
> SDB: HD Quantum Firball 1280S SCSI ID=ID 1 (Dedied to Linux)
> CDROM: :Pionner DR-U06S SCSI ID= 6
>
> This message appear at some time:
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid ######) time out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid ######) time out - trying harder
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid ######) time out - again
> Probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.
> ##### is number varaible (process ID)
> and I must reboot.
> Please help in this group or in my e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> in french if possible.
> Thank.

Just the obvious -- Is your SCSI disk properly terminated?
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 100s of FREE products!  8400
Date: 27 Dec 1998 23:59:32 GMT

Choose from 100's of FREE catalogs:
Outdoor
Collectibiles
Automotive
Business
Children
Entertainment
Toys
Games
Pets
Fashion
Gifts
Much Much More!!!!!!

Come to
http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/entertainmentcity/page10.html

zvbkvrrmirucpvocxzymebqmrrrsblvbrvxgdvjbuobpgftybhfxrcvcdiugtfxxxmefeyktdiyjnvg

------------------------------

From: Todd Ostermeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: printing with HP 870cSE
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:39:29 -0600

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Bill Pitz wrote:

: I am successfully running the 5xx/6xx driver printing to a Deskjet 890Cse.  It
: prints graphics, etc. from netscape with no problem at all. (in color or
: grayscale)

The difference here is that the 890Cse is an actual printer, whereas the
870xxx is just an ink head/cartridge and paper feeder, with the "guts"
being implemented in the windows driver (aka a winprinter).  there is,
however, a way to get it to work.  Check out the thread about the 720c for
a link to the pbm2ppa app.  It's only black and white, but what do you
expect from a reverse-engineering effort?  At least it works (for which
I'm extremely grateful).

:
: I have my printer connected to a Bay Networks Netgear PS110 print server.
: (Works with both Red Hat 5.1 and 5.2).  Are you sure that you have lpd running
: and that you configured all of the SMB stuff in the printconfig correctly?
:
:
: Bill
:
: root wrote:
:
: > I have redhat 5.2 installed and have an HP 870cSE connected to a Lantronics
: > print server.  I can print ASCII just fine to the printer (except that I
: > need to hit the page feed after/before each page).
: >
: > Anyhow, I can't do dumps (prints) from netscape.  The printer just locks up
: > with the orange light flashing.
: >
: > I'm using the HP 550 driver - should I use something else?  Or, is it not
: > possible to print graphics to my 870cSE?
: >
: > Larry
:
:
:

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

------------------------------

From: "Farrar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: SCSI Tape Drive reading "other" UNIX
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:39:12 -0500

I have a 4mm DAT SCSI tape drive that works fine when reading and writing
natively under Linux.  My problem is that I have a tar tape that was created
on a SUN/Sparc.

I was able to use dd to pull some data off (looked at data and found source
file fragments imbedded.)  It does look like a tar file (somewhat), the
header looks bogus and Linux complains that its not in tar format.

I am hoping that the problem I am having can be rectified by changing the
blocking factor (or something easy like that.)  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: socket seven multi prosessing
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:13:09 GMT

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 00:13:03 +0000,
Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can you GET a dual-processor socket 7 nowadays?
>
>AFAIK the only dual-processor capable CPUs currently on sale are Intel,
>and they don't make socket 7 any more. There are rumours of a dual-
>processor AMD becoming available soon.

AMD will be using the Alpha bus for their K7 CPU, and afaik that will
support SMP. (The Alpha does, and since K7 will use the same bus, it
will as well... :) This will probably also provide low-price Alpha boards,
so I personally think this will be a big win.

Bas Vermeulen.

--
When I shop for hardware I always look for the "Designed for Windows 95" logo.
I really thank Microsoft(TM) for encouraging manufacturers to label their

I stick to quality software:

Linux 2.0.36                        | IBM OS/2 Warp (TM) v4.0

------------------------------

From: "Sang-gyu Nam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: [Q] Bashee & XF68_FBDev Server error
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:40:47 +0900

I'm using Elsa Vitory II (banshee, 16M, AGP) and P-II 450MHz, 128M ram. The
kernel is 2.1.132, and X is 3.3.3
The error is "fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid
argument)". Why did it happen?
Ah! the boot screen is 1280x1024,16bpp

Here is the error message

XFree86 Version 3.3.3 / X Window System
Release Date: November 18 1998
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.1.132 i686 [ELF]
Configured drivers:
   FBDev: Server for frame buffer device
   (Patchlevel 10): mfb, iplan2p2, iplan2p4, iplan2p8, ilbm, afb, cfb8,
cfb16, cfb24, cfb32
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /etc/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: disabled
(**) Mouse: type: PS/2, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) FBDev: Graphics device ID: "Primary Card"
(**) FBDev: Monitor ID: "Primary Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unsca
led,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
(**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode

Fatal server error:
fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

------------------------------

From: "Dustin Oprea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AWE64 under RedHat 5.2
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:41:10 -0500

When ever I try installing my SB AWE under the Linux shell setup, it fails,
how can I fix this?

------------------------------

From: Dale Miracle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:21:31 -0500

Jim Orfanakos wrote:

> I am having an irq conflict between my Linksys EtherCard 10/100 and my STB
> Velocity 128 video card.
>
> When I check /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioaddress...I have no conflicts.
>
> When I check my settings in WIN98...both the Ethernet card and the video
> card are using irq 11.  I tried changing the irq's in WIN98...but WIN98
> won't let me.

Most mother boards (at least the one I have and my friends have that I
have worked on) have an option in bios to give an irq to the video card
or not.  I would make it so it doesn't give an irq to the video card and
then try it.  I know on some motherboard their plug'n'play support has a
slightly problem where it has a tendency to assign irq's to two devices
at once.  My spacewalker shuttle board was like that until I flashed the
bios and installed the irq patch for windows95.  If your problem goes
away I would remove the network card and video.  Remove them from
windows95 and add them one by one.  They should get an irq of their own
then.  See if this helps.

--
Dale Miracle                    "No matter where you go, there you are",
System Administrator         Oliver's Law of Location

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Bridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting Creative VIBRA16XV onboard sound working
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:37:35 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Gurski) writes:
> > Hi, I have a motherboard with built-in sound using the Creative
> > Vibra16XV chipset.
> [...]
>
> On my Asus TX-97E I got the Vibra working.
>
> However, the 16bit part does not work. The onboard Vibra has
> no 16bit DMA. But 8bit works.
>
> I was left with the decision between
>
> a) have no 16bit sound at all
>
> b) buy the commercial version of OSS
>
> c) buy a new sound card
>
> As the SB64Value was only twice as expensive as b) I finally
> bought a new soundcard and gave up toying around. Sigh.
>
> --Stefan

I recently got an SB64 Value too. Good choice.... It's soooooo much
better than the SB ViBRA16, you get AWE and full-duplex.

Tilde,
Jeffrey :j

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David L. Craig)
Subject: Powerup Scrambles Compaq 460-P Monitor On Noname Tseng ET4000AX
Date: 29 Dec 1998 00:21:56 -0500

I've been asked to fix a system that on power up drives
a Compaq 460-P monitor normally until some mode switch
that occurs prior to the CMOS settings screen or normal
boot media screen; e.g., rescue disk, LILO.  Then the
screen gets seriously unsynced horizontally, overlaying
about eight sets of images staggered across the screen
that are too garbled to read but can be recognized as
a LILO message screen, Windows logo, etc.  A reset does
not cure this, only cycling the power.  This is a borrowed
monitor and has never been successfully used with this
system in the past (the old monitor failed).

The adaptor was "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" and has "FCC ID
EKSVGA400016C" and "210-0075-002" printed on the back.
The main chip is labeled TSENG LABS ET4000AX, TC6058AF,
JAPAN 9042EAI.  Two ICs have paper labels saying "1391 70HZ
V1.2".  There are two straps, one labeled 16 and 8,
strapped 16, and the other IRQ ON/OFF and strapped ON.

Does anyone recognize this adaptor and/or understand what
may be going on here?  Is the Compaq monitor incompatible
with this adapter?  Is there some way to defeat the mode
setting that scrambles the video display?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 29 Dec 1998 04:34:43 GMT

On 20 Dec 1998 20:24:06 GMT, Kyler Laird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
posted:
>I recently made an offer to the Purdue Linux
>Users Group - $500 if they'd develop an SMB
>server for Linux.  ($200 for food to get
>started.  $300 upon completion.  The server
>is just a mod of SAMBA that runs from the
>command line using stdio.  It's something
>that would come in handy for students here.)
>
>I haven't yet gotten a response from them,
>but I've been thinking that there should be
>a place where Linux users can "put their
>money where their mouths are."  There are
>several projects I'd like to encourage and
>I suspect others would like to do the same.
>This would be a much better course of action
>than whining about things Linux doesn't do.

Try: <http://visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/bazaar.html> which describes
almost exactly what you're asking for, or the (not quite implemented)
URL below...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/fssp.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut)
Subject: Re: Compaq Presario 4240ES
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 05:26:42 GMT

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:20:32 -0400, Nicholas Strugnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I've been asked by my boss to get a PC for the lab and damn quick.
>Bascially, we're flooded by cretins sending us MS Word and Excel
>attachments that we can't read on my SGIs. Going to the University
>Computer shop I found the following machine which seemed suitable, a
>Compaq Presario 4240ES. We'll partition the disk, leave windows on one
>partition and put Redhat 5.1 on the other along with staroffice and some
>CDROM writing stuff. Anyway, I have the (useless) Compaq datasheet in
>front of me. The stiff in the shop wouldn't let me open the machine to
>check chipsets etc so I have no idea whether the following is compatible
>and would appreciate suggestions. the descriptions are from the
>datasheet.
>
>NIC
>^^^
>"Novell Certified; includes Compaq Ethernet 10/100 TX PCI Intel UTP
>NIC."
>
>wtf is this? Is it an Intel EtherExpress PCI card?

No idea on ether cards.

>Graphics
>^^^^^^^^
>"2X AGP with Accelerated 3D Graphics"
>"ATI 3D Rage LT Pro Graphics"
>
>I know what the ATI Rage card is - that's for Quake II. What the hell is
>the "2X AGP" card. Is it a MediaGX card?

AGP--Accelerated Graphics Port, a separate, 66-MHz point-to-point
connection specifically designed to handle the demands of 3-D graphics
and video.

>Sound
>^^^^^
>
>"Aureal A3D Interactive"
>"Audio ESS 1869"
>
>I'm guessing this is an Ensoniq card...

Good guess!

>CDROM
>^^^^^
>
>"2nd-generation DVD-ROM"
>
>Will I be able to use this thing as a regular ATAPI CDROM drive?

Supposedly, yes, but we're talkin computer industry here. What they
say it does and what it does are ALWAYS two different things.

My suggestion? Take it back. Compaq systems are proprietary and
designed for winblows95/98/NT. I have heard lots of complaints and I
myself have a Compaq 4508, (it's actually listed!). I am still looking
for the specs on the "on-board" video and sound. There modems are
mostly the controllerless "winmodems". Getting info from Compaq is
like pulling teeth on an un-sedated polar bear, and their site is a
maze of babble. If you want to know how to wipe off the Compaq case,
they'll be glad to tell you, if you want to know anything else, ask
your grandma, she'll tell you before they will.

So good luck with Redhat, but don't hold your breath.

>Cheers for any answers forthcoming and sorry to be such an idiot. btw
>Compaq's own website do not list this model as either current or past...
>It simply doesn't exist as far as they are concerned...
>
>Cheers,
>Nick

"Monetary systems cannot exist without poverty."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Debian Install: Where did my support aha152x scsi driver go ?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:22:15 GMT

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:06:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
wroth:

>Nick Dreyer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: This morning I had to rebuild everything from installation files, and no scsi
>: drive is now being found.
>
>Perhaps, you can educate us the meaning of "rebuild everything ...".  Did you
>reinstall by reformating your hard drive or built a custom kernel for your
>specific hardware or something else?

I rebuilt from installation files.

>: Should there be a file aha152x.o under /lib/modules for the kernel "appendage"
>: to work, or does some other configuration file need tweaking?
>
>: If I need a aha152x.o module file, what would be the easiest way of getting it
>: (without recompiling from kernel source package, please !!!)
>
>As far as I know, you will not find the file "aha152x.o" from the Debian
>distribution.  It is always compiled into part of the kernel.
>
>You might have SCSI termination problem on your chain.  You may want to
>verify whether your SCSI hardware is working under other OSes i.e. DOS

No hardware problem.  The non-detection was limited to the linux reinstall.  I
finally got everything back by copying the cpio backup file to a vfat drive,
but would be interested in understanding how the aha152x driver is handled:
After getting everything restored, I did notice there was an aha152x.o file in
the lib directory tree.  But the kernel detects the card before even getting
to init, os does that mean that the driver is built in and the aha152x.o file
is superfluous?

Anyway, the panic is over, but I any further insights into the how and when a
crucial hardware driver like this is loaded.

Thanks,

|\|.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut)
Subject: Re: Compaq Server hardware compat issues??
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 05:32:47 GMT

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:34:47 GMT, John Hunter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Special Compaq instructions
>
>Compaq uses an unusual PCI BIOS implementation that is mapped to high memory. All
>extant versions of Linux are unable
>to work with it. For now the only work-arounds are to boot first into MS-DOS and run
>a Compaq-supplied program to
>remap the PCI BIOS tables, or to hack the driver source code with the ioaddr and irq
>values.
>
>You can do this by adding the following lines to the bottom of the vortex_scan()
>function, with the proper values filled in :
>
>  vortex_found_device(dev, <*ioaddr*> , <*irq_line*>, <*product_id*>,
>          dev && dev->mem_start ? dev->mem_start : options[cards_found]);
>  cards_found++;
>  dev = 0;
>
>The *product_id* value is from the table near the top of the source file, and should
>be '0' for the 3c590 or '1' for the 3c595.
>I know this is pretty sleazy, but it should work.
>
>If you learn more, please pass it along to me by emal

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA, the S#!T we have to put up with for Bills sake. Here's
a shorter, better idea, scrap it and buy NON-winblows propietary
hardware. I hope he has helped you, but it seems like a lot of
trouble.

From: "junhui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: creative exxtreme for x windows
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:50:10 +0800

I am unable to start x windows and I am using creative graphics exxtreme
card.  how do i configure for x window.  is there a driver for this card?