Linux-Hardware Digest #116, Volume #9             Wed, 6 Jan 99 04:13:35 EST

Contents:
  Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux... (Pete Zaitcev)
  Re: maxtor 17gig and rh 5.1 ("Colin Chaplin")
  Re: Driver for DiskOnChip ??? (Horst Eyermann)
  Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! (Randal)
  Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux... (Leslie Mikesell)
  samba mount problem (Eric Melville)
  Re: Number cruncher Linux system Recommendations...?? (Gary Momarison)
  IBM MWave (Matthew Tackett)
  External projector won't show X display (David Guertin)
  off-topic humor ("Larry Z.")
  Linux help site (tandg)
  Re: Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1 (Colin Cameron)
  Re: This ongoing flame-fest ("James E. Coleman")
  Processor choice (Tonny Sejr Kromann)
  Re: linux support for expanded memory? (Phoenix)
  Cyclades Linux Z and Y drivers available (Support Dept.)
  D-Link 10/100 card ("Kevin Duff")
  LaserPro optical mouse? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:12:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>In article <368e86a7.0@calwebnnrp>, Ilya  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>JFS.
>>LVM.
>>Mirroring and stuff

Ilya, check out the work of Ingo Molnar and support him.
Personally I do not agree on how he ties LVM and VFS but
he is very competent anyways.

>Does LVM do things you can't with RAID controllers like the Mylex DAC960?
>It will do the mirroring, hot spare swaps, etc.  I think you can
>add drives to existing volume groups if you need to grow a partition
>but under Linux you would need to shut down and make the change
>through the card's ROM bios.

Think Big, Leslie. My workhorse system has 6GB of RAM and 56 drives
attached. Ultimately when your system grows it outgrows controller
boundaries. Then you need a software RAID to bind pieces together.
Besides, cost of hardware controllers mounts pretty quickly when
your system gets bigger. I imagine if Ilya could spare some megabucks
he spent on EMC or HP or other hardware RAID with Ingo he would
win big money in the end with software LVM.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: "Colin Chaplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: maxtor 17gig and rh 5.1
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:53:08 -0000

>On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:52:07 -0500, joey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>comp.os.linux.hardware:
>
>>However, when I mount the drive
>>on a windows machine, the drive appears to be 2 gigs.
>
>This is a bug in the original Microsoft DOS/Windows filesystem code, which
>not only had the FAT16 filesystem size limit but also assumed that the
>network servers had the same limit....  It was not fixed until Win95-OSR2.
>Pre-OSR2 operating systems will allow you to read and write to the entire

There *IS* a patch for oldy windows 95 systems - sorry can't tell you where,
search the MS knowledge base. I remember it being an issue where I used to
work and this patch from MS got round it. Alternatively, use NT !

Good luck

Colin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Horst Eyermann)
Subject: Re: Driver for DiskOnChip ???
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:41:10 +0100

[Posted and mailed]

Hi,
you might want to ask M-System, they do have a kernetl patch
to drive the devices for some kernels, including (2.0.35)
If you have problems, contact me at
E y e r m a n n @ o n l i n e . d e

I would like to know of any experience with them,
as I wan to build a plug in card, so I can have a
HD independen system.

Horst

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Sergio Martínez González" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run Linux (a very reduced configuration) in a
> industrial pc-board (386-SX, 8 Mb RAM), without HardDisk, Floppy, etc.
> Something like an Embedded-Linux ...
>
> The system needs to boot and work from a Flash Memory (see
> DiskOnChip2000
> from M-Systems) of 4/8/16... Mb. This device is 'fully' compatible with
> HardDisk, well... is compatible from DOS, Windows 95, etc.

==================================
Horst Eyermann
Am alten Sportplatz 6
67814 Dannenfels
Germany

Check: http://home.t-online.de/home/eyermann

Date: $d
Time: $t

delete the NOSPAM part in my email adress for correct delivery !

==================================

------------------------------

From: Randal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:30:46 -0800

My, how pleasent. Spend much time with street kids do you?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 5 Jan 1999 23:34:24 -0600

In article <zaitcev.915570119@mallorn>, Pete Zaitcev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Does LVM do things you can't with RAID controllers like the Mylex DAC960?
>>It will do the mirroring, hot spare swaps, etc.  I think you can
>>add drives to existing volume groups if you need to grow a partition
>>but under Linux you would need to shut down and make the change
>>through the card's ROM bios.
>
>Think Big, Leslie. My workhorse system has 6GB of RAM and 56 drives
>attached. Ultimately when your system grows it outgrows controller
>boundaries. Then you need a software RAID to bind pieces together.

The mylex scsi<->scsi array controller claims to allow up to 35 drives
(with a daughterboard) with up to 16 terrabytes to be mapped to a
single SCSI ID so you could hook 15 of these to a single normal
wide SCSI adapter.  I think that would be big enough for me.

>Besides, cost of hardware controllers mounts pretty quickly when
>your system gets bigger. I imagine if Ilya could spare some megabucks
>he spent on EMC or HP or other hardware RAID with Ingo he would
>win big money in the end with software LVM.

If your system is busy, do you really want the main CPU doing that
kind of stuff?  Dropping a Netapp box on the network sounds even
better.  I suppose what we need is a cheap do-it-yourself equivalent.

  Les Mikesell

From: Eric Melville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: samba mount problem
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:14:44 GMT

i've got linux and 95 machines networked together nicely... samba is
working great and everything, but i've got this other problem with
smb... whenever i use smbmount, it "seems" to work just fine, but after
a minute or two, directories on the mounted share start disappearing...
any ideas?

-E

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Number cruncher Linux system Recommendations...??
Date: 05 Jan 1999 13:22:41 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Chetan Ahuja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :  Hi,
> :     We are looking for a number cruncher linux system that will
> : run large and long running fortran computations.  I was thinking
> : about a dual processor system... The comutations usually require
> : large swap files so they can also be highly I/O intesive. I would
> : like to invite the other netters opinions, tips, recommendations
> : for hardware etc on how best to build such a system... I guess the
> : most important choices are those for the MB, CPU and Hard Disk/Disk
> : cotrollers. Any comments will be appreciated.

http://www.microway.com  has systems that run Linux.
"667 Mhz Alpha, 1.3 Gigflops, 8MB Cache" 288-bit-wide memory.

You might also find something interesting in Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/high-performance.html

------------------------------

From: Matthew Tackett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM MWave
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:39:18 -0500

The site that told me how to setup a MWave card is gone and I was
wondering if anyone knows how to set the P.O.S. up to run under linux.

------------------------------

From: David Guertin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: External projector won't show X display
Date: 05 Jan 1999 17:19:23 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm having an odd problem trying to connect a Dell Inspiron 3200
laptop to an external projector (big Sony SuperData monster).  I'm
running Red Hat 5.1, kernel 2.0.36.  The video card is a NeoMagic
2160, 800x600 display.

If I log into a console display, the projector shows the external
display OK (as well as the display on the laptop).  As soon as I start
up X, though, the external display disappears from the screen, even
though it remains visible on the laptop.  If I switch to a text-based
virtual console (i.e. C+A+F2, etc.), the external display reappears.
When I go back to the X display (A+F7) is disappears again.

A little light on a switch box shows that as soon as the X display is
started, the signal to the external display port is killed.

It does this with both WindowMaker and FVWM, and both 8 and 16
bpp.  This Dell also has a partition running NT, and the external
display shows up fine under NT.  (Please don't say I need to give
my UNIX-centric presentation under NT!)

There is a switch (Fn-F8) on the Dell that toggles between the
internal and external displays, and that's working correctly.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Dave Guertin

Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:01:14 -0800
From: "Larry Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: off-topic humor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ZORCHBIT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You know you are going to have a bad day when:

The most popular responses, so far:
#1. ...the local news shows don't have enough traffic helicopters to
cover all of the accidents.
#2. ...you notice that the gift from your boyfriend has another woman's
name on it.
#3. ...you're looking through the want ads and you find that your boss
has placed an ad for your current job.
#4. You wake up.

To Vote, Write Your Own, or See More Go to:
http://bits.zorch.com/cgi-bin/z?zid=t5&itid=16&org=em

Dare to visit Zorch at http://zorch.com

------------------------------

From: tandg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux help site
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 01:15:11 -0500

==============8AF9A514CC9669138EF34F75

Having trouble with linux, try
 The Linux Files

==============8AF9A514CC9669138EF34F75

<HTML>
Having trouble with linux, try
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://members.xoom.com/techfile">The Linux Files</A></HTML>

From: Colin Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:38:26 -0330

Marie-France Toupin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I bought a digital camera that works very well with Linux
> and photopc when the device used is ttyS0 but unfortunately
> the serial port ttyS0 is already used by the mouse.
>
> I want to use ttyS1 instead, thus I tried to use an adapter
> (9 to 25 pin adapter) to convert ttyS0 to ttyS1
> but it doesn't seems to be that easy since the camera is not 'seen' that
> way!
>
> What's wrong! Why is the camera not seen that way?
>
> Is it a problem with the DB9 to DB25 adapter or is it a problem with the
> serial port ttyS1 itself?
>
> Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to have the COM2 serial port disabled in the bios,
would you?

Latest tally:
Number of former Windows users who have switched to Linux: millions
Number of former Linux users who have switched to Windows: zero

From: "James E. Coleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: This ongoing flame-fest
Date: 6 Jan 1999 01:12:01 -0600

Moriarty wrote:

> Hey all...

<<<<SNIP>>>>

> I hope that DG and anyone else who reads this message will send me some
> feedback on this, whether good or bad... I welcome all opinions - good, bad,
> indifferent, or completely new fresh ones... :)
>
> Thank you for your time and for your attentive patience... Take care, and
> have a good day...
>
> Moriarty

I missed the flame war, thank goodnes, but wholeheartedly agree with
your words, Moriarty. Hope they helped.

--
Jim Coleman
jecoleman@*NOSPAM*upsala.org

------------------------------

From: Tonny Sejr Kromann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Processor choice
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:14:54 +0000

Which is the better processor for my Linux:

PII Celeron 400 or
PII 350

I know the Celeron is only for 66MHz busspeed. I suppose I cannot make
it run at 100MHz.

My system is used for a wide range of tasks:
    Graphics
    Office programs (slow StarOffice 5.0)
    Internetting

My current processor is Celeron 300 without cache.

--
Any help greatly appreciated
Tonny

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:42:27 -0600
From: Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux support for expanded memory?

Dick Repasky wrote:

> Does linux support expanded memory?  I can't find a definitive statement
> one way or the other.  The Hardware-HOWO says dram, sram, and edo, but
> I do not know whether expanded memory qualifies as dram.
>
> The XMS information from DOS msd.exe is XMS XMS Version: 3.00.
>
> If the memory isn't supported, with it foul up the kernel if the
> board stays in the computer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick
>
> --
>
> Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

expanded memory is a poor fix to a poorly written operating system.
all it is is a software fix to dos memory limitations 640k etc.
linux does not use expanded memory because it has REAL memory
management.
as for sdram, edo, etc. those are hardware memory types and so far as i
know linux will support your ram even though you didn't say what kind
you have.

The sticker said "Windows 95, Windows NT, or better."
So I installed Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Support Dept.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Cyclades Linux Z and Y drivers available
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:32:28 GMT

I don't post every little driver revision, but this one might be helpful
to some folks using the newer Cyclades PCI multiport cards with Linux

There is a new release of the Cyclom-Y and Cyclades-Z Linux driver
available for free download at:

http://www.sellcom.com on the tech support page

The following information and "tips" were provided by Beltran at Cyclades
for this current release.

Package Version         : 3.2.1 (1999/01/05)
Driver  Version         : 2.1.1.11 (1998/12/30)
FW version (Z only)     : 3.2.1 (1998/12/17)
Kernels supported       : 2.0.x

Changes from previous version (3.2.0):
 - Changed access to PLX PCI bridge registers from I/O to MMIO
(Memory-Mapped I/O), in order to make PLX9050-based boards (new YoP's and
the upcoming YeP v2) work with certain motherboards;
 - The install installation script was changed so that it detects the
driver version currently installed and decides whether it should install
the driver version included in the package.

Comments:
Any customers who face problems in transmitting / receiving data on
Cyclom-Y boards (especially _Cyclom-YoP's_, and especially motherboards
with _Phoenix BIOS_, which is the only common characteristic on all systems
that presented the problem) should upgrade their driver to this driver
version.

A good way to detect the problem is by checking whether the board has
generated any interrupts to the system, once you try to send data through
one of its ports. You can do that by executing the command:

        cat /proc/interrupts

before and after the data traffic generation, and comparing the number of
interrupts under cyclomY. If there are no interrupts generated, then the
bug was detected and, thus, the driver upgrade is required in order to make
the board work.

Sellcom support
--
http://www.sellcom.com
Telecommunications and internet networking hardware

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Duff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link 10/100 card
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:07:58 GMT

Hello,
    I am currently booting three OSs on my box; Win95, WinNT, and Linux (I
like Linux best, but it's the one I know the least about!). I am connected
to the 'net via a cable modem, and have no probs with my connection via 95
or NT, but I dont have   driver for my NIC under Linux. My card is a D-Link
DFE-530TX 10/100 PCI.
    If anyone has a working driver for this card, or could steer me to where
I may find one, please reply either to this newsgroup or my email at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] .
    Any assistance is appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: LaserPro optical mouse?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:27:39 GMT

Has anybody tried the "PC LaserPro Mouse", an optical mouse from
Good Systems (http://www.goodsystems.com/pcmice.html)? Does it work
with Linux, and most importantly, is good?

Any other suggestions on a 3-button optical mouse for use w. Linux?

Yours,

/lh