Linux-Hardware Digest #116, Volume #11           Fri, 27 Aug 99 22:13:22 EDT

Contents:
  adaptec aha1542 not being detected (Landon Humphrey)
  Re: Need a SCSI Lesson Please (Frederic Faure)
  Re: login script error (help!) ("Randy Wile")
  WINE-Suse linux 6.1 (madhatter)
  Compressed Files ("Randy Wile")
  Webserver specs needed...thanks (shane)
  Re: Which book? (Warren B. Hapke)
  Windmodem web page (Michael Green~)
  Re: Zip drive and Linux (Jerry Gardner)
  Re: Zip drive and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  486 , 8mb , 200 mb (mbeiruti)
  Re: Which book? ("Dan G.")
  Re: Webserver specs needed...thanks (Kent Perrier)
  Re: dittomax (Henry Davies)
  Re: HP Deskjet 1000C ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86? ("Sridhar")
  HP 720C printer and Linux ("Dave Rennie")
  Re: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it? (Jerry Lapham)
  Re: Help on ppp connections( I have read the How-to's please help!!) (Peter T.
Breuer)
  Re: HP 720C printer and Linux (Dan Warren)
  webexcel ("Nicholas Routledge")
  Re: 486 , 8mb , 200 mb (Giampiero Recco)
  Re: HELP PLEASE! - sound card woes (Timothy Call)
  how do i access the cd-rom (ZAP)
  Re: Abit BP6, dual Celeron, overclocking, Video Card and more...... (Jason
Costomiris)

From: Landon Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: adaptec aha1542 not being detected
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:30:58 GMT

I have compaq presario and  running redhat 6.0. I have an adaptec 1542b
controller card used for a dat tape drive. I have used it for years.
It is not being detected. The card io is 0x230. I chaned the source code
aha1542.c to reflect these changes. But now how do I recomplie this module
to check it out. PLease step by step. " I have rebiult Kernels before on
older systems but it was not modulareized.  PLease help.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure)
Subject: Re: Need a SCSI Lesson Please
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:58:48 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:56:36 +0200, "Japie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Buy a terminator, and plug it
>> in the second socket on the scanner.
>
>Sorry , waths a terminator ?

The SCSI bus must be "terminated" on both ends: Chances are the basic
SCSI you have doesn't let you plug internal SCSI devices like CDROMs
or HDs, so that end is safe, but the *other* end, ie. the scanner,
could be the problem. Take the SCSI card and the documentation that
came with your scanner to a computer store, and buy a SCSI terminar
(probably the DB25 sort.)

FF.
--
The system required Windows 95 or better, so I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: "Randy Wile" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: login script error (help!)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:03:57 -0300

You need to make sure that you have a box next to something about auto
detect gateway to server or sonething like that check.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (madhatter)
Subject: WINE-Suse linux 6.1
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:57:50 GMT

Hi all....

can anyone tell me which WINE package to install

for Suse Linux.6.1

Also if its worth installing ( i`m after geting rid of windowz for
once an for all !!!!! )

thanks a very happy ( new ) Linux user

steve

------------------------------

From: "Randy Wile" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compressed Files
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:02:15 -0300

Anyone know an easy place to learn how to install compressed files. Like the
linux programs you download from Tucows or something.

------------------------------

From: shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Webserver specs needed...thanks
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:21:32 -0400

Hello,

I'm currently a MS#@t administrator running several NT boxes with IIS4.
I myself am building my own webserver for very high traffic, but like
many, Im on a budget. Also, I have limited experience with any flavor
other than NT. Anyway, what I have is the following (see below) but need
a question answered about the CPU, which really comes down to, "is it
enough"?

Pent 166 with 256 megs RAM (going to upgrade to 1gig), 1 ultra wide SCSI
HD for OS, and a RAID5 config. with 3 10Krpm Seagate Cheetah HD's.

I'll be severing up mostly static web pages BUT will be doing some CGI
(perl) stuff. I plan of course to use Apache as my webserver. Should I
spend the extra "jack" on a new CPU and MotherBoard...or with the 1 gig
RAM and RAID config, is this enough? ANY opinions or different
configuration ideas  would be GREATLY appreciated ...peace

Shane

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warren B. Hapke)
Subject: Re: Which book?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:37:33 GMT

Mothra362 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have the Mandrake 6.0 version of Linux.  One of the included CD's has .pdf
: versions of three books.  Each of these books is hundreds of pages long.  I
: would prefer to print only one of these....any opinions as to which one
: would offer the better value?  I am completely new to Linux, so a book which
: starts at the basics is required.  I would also like this book to be able to
: offer more Linux info as I grow more proficient with it.  Here are my 3
: choices:

First of all, you might want to think about the cost per page of
printing these on you own system.  If you use an ink jet printer, the
cost per page could be higher than the cost of a bound book in the book
store.

: SAM's Red Hat Linux Unleashed
: QUE's Special Edition: Using Linux
: SAM's Teach yourself Linux in 24 Hours

The only one of these I'm familiar with is SAM's Teach Yourself Linux
in 24 Hours, which I got as a birthday present about a year ago.  It's
OK, but it doesn't go beyond the most basic level for most things.
It will help you get started, but you could quickly find yourself
needing more information.  You might want to find a topic that all
three deal with, read each online, then decide which seems best to you.

My favorite Linux book is Welsh & Kaufmann, Running Linux, from
O'Reilly.  The current edition (2nd) is a bit out-of-date, but O'Reilly
has announced a new 3rd edition, which I've not seen yet.  This book
goes into much more detail (especially on X configuration) than any
comparable book I've looked at.

Warren B. Hapke

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Green~)
Subject: Windmodem web page
Date: 27 Aug 1999 21:51:12 GMT

Wasn't there a web page were winmodems were identified? I thought it was
www.winmodems.com, but that
web page has disappeared. Is there an alternative??? Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Gardner)
Subject: Re: Zip drive and Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:25:34 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 05:58:15 GMT, Brian Stevens wrote:
>I have SuSe linux 6.1 running on my new machine (as supplied) but I
>have not yet figured out how to access the built in zip drive.
>
>Please could some one tell me what steps I need to do to get it
>recognised by the system

It depends... Do you have a SCSI, Parallel port, IDE, or Atapi Zip
drive?

I have a SCSI Zip drive and I didn't have to do anything special for
Linux to recognize it. It behaves just like any other SCSI disk
drive. The only thing to beware of is the default partition number on
a preformatted Zip disk is 4, not 1 as you would expect.

I suggest you read the Zip Howto. It covers the subject in detail.

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:47:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Stevens) wrote:
> I have SuSe linux 6.1 running on my new machine (as supplied) but I
> have not yet figured out how to access the built in zip drive.
>
> Please could some one tell me what steps I need to do to get it
> recognised by the system
>
> Thank You

It would probably be a good idea to check out the Zip Drive HOWTO,
availible at the Linux Document Project web site (a mirror I know of is
www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP). Although most of the discussion in this
particular document is about parallel-port Zip drives, there there is
discussion about the other kinds of Zip drives (such as the internal
drive). If you find something that works, please tell me the results as
I am considering purchasing an internal Zip drive myself soon.

Kenneth Arnold

From: mbeiruti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha,redhat.config
Subject: 486 , 8mb , 200 mb
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:30:57 GMT

Hi,
I would like to use my old 486 computer with 8 mb ram and 200mb hard disk
to learn the basics of linux os.
what version should i choose?
thanks
mbeiruti

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Dan G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:37:43 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help

I have the QUE SE: Using Linux. Bought it for %40 off an Barns & Noble!
Anyways, it is a very good book, with many different areas - installing to
administration, networking to vi editor. Everything. It also doenst' assume
you use a particular distribution, although it focuses on RH, Caldera, and
Slackware.

OH, a few other things.... This "special edition" book is more advanced than
the normal "using linux", but it has a lot of useful info. This book is also
HUGE! It is probably the largest book I have! (except for the MSCE course
book :-0   ) 850+ pgs.

------------------------------

From: Kent Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Webserver specs needed...thanks
Date: 27 Aug 1999 18:33:51 -0500

shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Pent 166 with 256 megs RAM (going to upgrade to 1gig), 1 ultra wide SCSI
> HD for OS, and a RAID5 config. with 3 10Krpm Seagate Cheetah HD's.

This should be more than sufficient.

Kent
--
work hard, save aggressively, invest well and get the hell out

------------------------------

From: Henry Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dittomax
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:43:17 +0000

Hi,

I had good luck with a parallel DittoMax but then I upgraded to the
2.2.x kernels and can't get it to work anymore.  At first the code was
not compatible with 2.2.x.  Now it compiles but I can't access the tape
drive (as of the 6/30/99 unstable version of ftape 4.x).

It will work for the 2.0.x kernel releases.  Which kernel are you using?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HP Deskjet 1000C
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:00:21 GMT

In article <7pst26$2cf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have an HP Deskjet 1000C (or C-something-or-another) that I got
> before the 1100 and 1200 series (better printers) came out, but I have
> to live with it... and I want a driver for it to use under Linux. I
> have searched the HP site (someone had asked the question before and
> the moderator didn't know) as well as this newsgroup and have found
> nothing applicable. Please notify me if I have missed something,
> because I am quickly becoming desprate. Any help would be much
> appreciated!
>
> Kenneth Arnold
>
> PS - Even an extremely buggy pre-pre-release would be better than
> nothing!

For anyone else searching on this issue, I have come up with some
(depressing) information as far as the Deskjet 1000C printer. As it
turns out, it, and several other newer HP printers, are so-called PPA
printers, which make the computer do most of the processing rather than
the printer. They are not quite Winprinters, however, because there is a
driver availible that will work in a pinch. Someone has figured out
enough about the PPA protocol to get a reduced, grayscale driver that
works with Ghostscript. Anyone with knowledge of this protocol please
help with this project. The Ghostscript printer compatibility page is
located at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html, and that page has
a link to the information.

Kenneth Arnold

From: "Sridhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: which digital LCD panel to use with XFree86?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:22:00 -0400

I have a NEC Multisync monitor which works quite well!!

--
Sridhar

Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:PdEx3.98$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Dave Rennie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 720C printer and Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:31:59 -0700

Does anyone have any experience with getting the HP 720C printer running?
It is listed in the HOWTO as partially compatible but I'm unable to get it
to print even with cat <filename>  > /dev/lp0.  All the modules, daemons,
printcap and filters are set up.  The parallel port works, lp seems to be
configured, the queue works okay (I think) but nothing happens at the
business end.

Any help here would be most appreciated.

Dave Rennie

David W. Rennie, P.Eng.,
Roscoe Postle Associates Inc.,
Suite 2000, 1066 West Hastings Street,
Vancouver, British Columbia
CANADA           V6E 3X2

Phone: 1-604-601-8227
Fax:  1-604-669-3844

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:43:27

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/26/99
   at 08:46 AM, "Wilbur Killebrew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> For all practical purposes, if you want to use a modem with Linux, it
> has to be an external smart modem.

If you can find an ISA internal with jumpers to set the COM port and IRQ,
you're safe.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Friday, August 27, 1999 - 06:43 PM (EDT)
MR/2 Ice tag:  Artificial intelligence is better than none.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Subject: Re: Help on ppp connections( I have read the How-to's please help!!)
Date: 27 Aug 1999 23:40:14 GMT

: Minicom is not what you use to establish a ppp connection. It is a
: simple modem program suitable for calling bulletin boards.

Hey! Such slander! *I* use it to establish ppp. My modem is so flakey
that I use minicom to dial in at 1200baud and set up a callback, which
I take with minicom after switching to 38.4Kbaud. It's easy to script
"/usr/sbin/pppd" in minicom!

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:05:55 -0400
From: Dan Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 720C printer and Linux

Your HP 720 is a PPA "windows" printer.  There is a driver that converts from
ppa to pbm for use with Ghostscript.  You can get the software here:
http://www.httptech.com/ppa/software.html.  I've used it for an HP Deskjet
1000Cse and it worked fairly well (no color support).

From: "Nicholas Routledge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: webexcel
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:21:44 +1000

I was wondering if anyone had any success configuring a webexcel 56k
internal modem for RH6?
if anyone could shed some light i would be much obliged.

regards,
nick routledge

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Giampiero Recco)
Subject: Re: 486 , 8mb , 200 mb
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 99 01:23:30 GMT

Hi,
I use my IBM thinkpad 486/33 8Mb with Slackware 3.6 - kernel 2.0.36,
and openlook as windows manager and all works greatly.

bye!
giarec

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Call)
Subject: Re: HELP PLEASE! - sound card woes
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:28:15 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:56:26 GMT, Sean Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been trying in vain for weeks to get my sound card to work.  I've
>got a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 64D.  I figured out that it's the 1371
>chipset by checking the pci settings (I can't remember where how to do
>this).   Initially, I had the 2.2.5-11 kernel and tried to get it to
>work...

Hi Sean,

Once you have Linux back up, check out the 4Front website.  They have a
driver that is apparently compatible with many sound card configurations.
You can download a demo to see if it works for your system.

Like yours, my system was mute after installing Linux (Red Hat 5.1). My
sound card was supposed to be activated automatically, but was not. Their
driver can be turned on and off from the command line.
   Best regards,
   -Tim

------------------------------

From: ZAP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: how do i access the cd-rom
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:30:58 GMT

i have an ide cd-rom drive.  I would like to read from it in openlinux 2.2

can any tell me how to copy from cd-rom to linux hard drive

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Costomiris)
Subject: Re: Abit BP6, dual Celeron, overclocking, Video Card and more......
Date: 28 Aug 1999 01:21:17 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:15:03 +0200,
        Huib Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I would like to try a dual celeron system with the Abit BP6 board and
: not I am looking for some advice. On the net I've found many reports of
: people using this board and overclocking the processors but I'm not
: quite sure which solution is best. So if anyone has some first hand
: experience please let me know!!!!!!

My pair of 300A's are running on a 104 Mhz bus.  104 * 4.5 (the multiplier
of the 300A) = 468.  Very stable.

: First about the dual processor board. If I'm right its a matter of
: replacing the old board (my old PCI video card and IDE drives should
: still work) install the SMP kernel RPM. Liliconf and reboot, ....
: finished. Is it really that simple or am I overlooking something?

You don't need to replace your video card, but you might consider a hot
AGP card.  Install the SMP kernel, and go.

: What about memory on the BP6 board. Most boards have 4 SIMM connectors
: and you have to use 2 (+ 2) identical SIMM modules. The BP6 board has 3
: SIMM connectors. Can I use just 1 128MB SIMM module or do I have to use
: at least two modules (e.g. 2 modules of 64MB)? What about the so called
: ECC memory, it's more expensive but do I see a big performance
: difference with the standard 100Mhz memory?

You'll want PC100 dimms.  ECC is nice to have, and only a few bucks
more.  You'll actually see a slight hit with ECC ram, due to the error
checking and correction.  If you want to overclock, you'll want the 100 Mhz
RAM.

: The Ultra ATA/66 is supported with the 2.2 kernel?

With a patch, yes.

: And what about overclocking? The prices of the Celeron PPGA have really
: dropped; 336MHz for $80, 400MHz for $100. Only the 466 and 500MHz
: versions are quite expensive. I've seen reports of people overclocking
: the 366MHz version to 550MHz. If I want to go to 500 or 550MHz, what
: Celeron should I buy? Is a 400MHz safer than a 366MHz or is this just
: Intel marketing bullshit. What about the suffixes A, PPGA,
: Mendoccio..... what version to look for?

My 300A's (Mendocino) were $50/ea.  Check www.pricewatch.com, you'll
find 366's for about $60.  If you want to try

: What is the best cooler if I want to overclock my system? Do these
: freezer coolers (-30C !!!) really exist? And what about the price? I can
: buy $50  cooler but then a 500Mhz in-a-box Celeron is also an option!!!

If you want to try to OC some 366's to 550 (that's what happens when you
turn the bus from 66 to 100 using 366's), you'll want some good cooling
units.  I bought a pair of Alpha coolers from www.3dfxcool.com.  They
were $30/ea.  Not cheap, but almost required for that kind of overclocking.

: And for the final upgrade. I now have an old Mach64 video card and a 15"
: monitor. If I find a good priced 17" or 19" screen I would like to buy a
: good video card. With the existing Linux drivers, what to look for RIVA
: TNT2, Matrox Millenium G400? Any card that goes well with the dual
: Celeron board?

I've got a Voodoo3 3000 running quite nicely.  It's FAST.
Matrox boards are nice too.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.