Linux-Hardware Digest #124, Volume #9             Thu, 7 Jan 99 05:13:30 EST

Contents:
  Are there drivers for the EPSON 1520? (AG)
  Re: RHL is great but I need help setting up XF86
  Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 - SB64 (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: kernel panic! (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Newbie Help: Diamond Stealth II G460? (Skavoovie)
  test ("V.Yavuz")
  Re: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2,  using SANE
(Redhat 5.2 Linux) ("USB Port")
  Reset the modem (Jean J taoko)
  Re: Boca 33.6 Modem ("John E. Garrott")
  Re: RHL is great but I need help setting up XF86 (Jeff Tackett)
  Re: temp monitering hardware software (Philip Edelbrock)
  Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! ("anarkissed")
  Linux and HP CD-R/W Drives ? (j)
  Video Configuration ("Newsgroups")
  Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems ("Clifton")
  Re: "soft" power button and linux (Ryan R. Henry)
  Re: LS 120 and Red Hat 5.2 (Richard Forster)
  Linux and Diamond FirePort40 ? ("Sergey Chemishkian")
  Re: Ethernet Card Recommendation (Mike Werner)
  ps/2 mouse trouble ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: AG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Are there drivers for the EPSON 1520?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:12:25 -0500

Hello all,

I'm running the RedHat 5.2 dist w/ 2.0.36 kernel.. Would also like to
run "magicfilter" with the print daemon..

Any info would be helpful:)
--
Alfred

"Those who seek knowledge begin with humbleness.."

                 Unknown
PERSONAL
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~green

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: RHL is great but I need help setting up XF86
Date: 6 Jan 1999 13:17:01 GMT

Be more specific, we're not psychics here :) When running X do

startx some settings here &> out_from_x

and post the file containing diagnostic messages here.

Also check the hardware how-to to see if Mwave is supported. Last time
I checked it was just "beta" level driver support.

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 - SB64
Date: 06 Jan 1999 18:32:45 +0100

Bjorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi
> I have problems with my Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 (SoundBlaster 64/128 PCI) PnP.
> It reconizes the card when I type sndconfig, but then I can't select
> I/O, IRQ, or DMA.  (Does it depends on the PnP?)
>
> It writes /etc/conf.modules and when goes to play the sound sample I get this
> message:
> es1370: write to codec register timeout
> es1370: write to codec register timeout
> es1370: write to codec register timeout
> es1370: write to codec register timeout

Sounds like a wrong IRQ setting...

You should read `man isapnp.conf` :)

--
  "Power to the people. Linux is here."  -- Matt Welsh
  Guillaume Cottenceau, 4eme annee informatique, I.N.S.A Rennes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:00:54 GMT

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:51:13 GMT, "Crossbones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First off... Great job on pissing a lot of people in this newsgroup off.
>Way to go. Piss enough of them off and they might actually notice that they
>can bitch to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. And probably will.
>
> Anyways, Since you're so damned impatient to install RH linux, you need to
>do the following things: (And you WILL need to work at this a bit.. I'm not
>going to source out all the damned directory trees for you and tell you
>EXACTLY where everything is)

I can't  believe my eyes. You actually give him useful information ? Didn't you
read all the shit he was posting ? Do you think this should be tolerated in any
way ???

Answers please in this newsgroup!

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel panic!
Date: 06 Jan 1999 18:49:21 +0100

Ibrahim Abubakar Shaaban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hi Everyone,
>       I was about installing minix on
> a p166mmx,64mb sdram,redfox parentboard
> 4.3 GB HDD etc when as I was booting
> from the root/usr diskette I got a
> kernel panic at some address.

Most of the time when you get a Kernel Panic booting the installion program it
comes from a problem on the diskette (sector not found...) -> try formatting the
diskette before rawriting the image...

> A similar event occurs if I try to
> install Linux (both redhat and slackware
> ) I can't even boot from the cdrom.

Is it the same error, with the CDROM? (kernel panic)

Is your BIOS allows bootable CDROM?

Is your machines's hardware clean?

From: Skavoovie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Help: Diamond Stealth II G460?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 06:31:59 GMT

I have heard conflicting reports that linux can be configured to
work with the (worthless piece of junk) Diamond Stealth II G460.

Has anyone done this or know if it is possible? Can anyone give
a newbie some help in getting X running under Redhat 5.2 with
this vid card?

Thanks for any help!

--Steven

------------------------------

From: "V.Yavuz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:55:55 +0200

test

------------------------------

From: "USB Port" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2,  using SANE
(Redhat 5.2 Linux)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.graphics.apps.gimp,linux.samba
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 07:02:26 GMT

Doesn't anyone know the answer to this?

SCSI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<01be3366$1f4244b0$0200a8c0@mycompnt>...

------------------------------

From: Jean J taoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reset the modem
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 01:50:30 -0500

Hi
Does anybody knows how to reset the modem when it is locked and  no
process refers to it when using the ps command.
Thank

Jean J

------------------------------

From: "John E. Garrott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boca 33.6 Modem
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:08:52 -0800

Armando Rojas wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Boca 33.6 Modem, which according to the Hardware HOWTO, does not
> work with Linux. I have tried it with Debian, Slackware, SlackZIP (UMSDOS),
> and Red Hat, and found that it does NOT work. Are there any new drivers for
> this modem?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Armando Rojas
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Not that I've heard of.  I have one of them sitting on a shelf above my
computer.
My current modem is a USRobotics external modem.  Works good.  Don't know
why I wasted so much time trying to get that Boca thing  to work.

Good Luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Jeff Tackett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 02:43:21 -0500

Where is this hardware how-to because I can't find it.

I also got help on the graphics card.

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:08:07 -0800
From: Philip Edelbrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: temp monitering hardware software

John Belew wrote:

> Try the "Hot Little Therm" at
> http://www.spiderplant.com/hlt/index.html.
>
> $100 give you a complete RS-232 solution, including source code, that
> runs under LINUX & others.
>
> --
> < John Belew >

On a related note, many mainboards nowadays come with some hardware
health monitoring chips (LM78, LM75, LM79, W83781, GL518, etc.).  These
chips sense temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, etc.

For drivers for these chips for the 2.0.x, 2.1.x, and 2.2.x Linux
kernels, check out:

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78

If you are a hardware hacker, you can get one of these chips and connect
it up to your computer using just four wires (+5V, GND, SMBus clock,
SMBus data) to yield a single chip sensor package.  I've been doing this
for the purpose of writing drivers, but it could also be a cheap and
easy way of getting multiple voltage, temperature, and rotation speed
sensor readings easily into your Linux box.

Let's see... In Digi-key, National Semi's LM75's are about $5.20USD each
(4 wire remote temp sensor).  With these, you could have up to eight
connected up to the same computer (no more due to SMBus addressing
constrictions).  This would be much cheaper than the above solution, and
you wouldn't have to lose a serial port or any of that mess.  Just
connect 4 wires (per chip) and read the temp values from /proc files
using software from the URL above!

Drop me an email if you want some more details on how to do this, and
I'll do what I can to help out.  In the mean-time I would suggest going
to National Semiconductor's web site and getting the PDFs for the LM75
temp sensor and/or the LM78 combination sensor chip.

Good luck!

Philip Edelbrock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lm_sensors Development Group
http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78

------------------------------

From: "anarkissed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:22:01 GMT

Dude, if you had read anything about linux you'd have noticed that unlike
windoze for idiots, it requires intelligence to install.  The kind of
intelligence that realizes that you don't abuse ppl who give you tech
support for FREE on software you got for FREE just because they don't have
the perfect answer for you.  so, like, if you really wanna solve your
problem, put the computer back in the box it came from, send it back return
to sender and give the reason as "too stupid to operate a computer" then,
get out your etch-a-sketch and swear to your heart's content.  Or, better
yet, sign up for that new web tv, you don't have to know ANYTHING to use it!

DG wrote in message <3692dcca.14993607@news>...
>ANOTHER MENTALLY RETARDED PIGFART !!!
>
>On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 20:20:28 GMT, Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>You asked for help, and we tried to give you help.  If you want to think
that we are
>>"stupid idiots" then that's your problem, but just remember who asked who
for help and
>>who cannot get it working in the first place.
>>please try to remember that we are NOT experts (well mabye some of us..I'm
not) we are
>>all learning,,if somoene gives you an answer thatis not correct then move
on to the
>>next answer or rephrase the question!
>>Good luck!
>>
>>*******************ARROWOFTHEMORNINGSTAR********************
>>
>>DG wrote:
>>
>>> Fine, I'll take it there then. I ask a question and end up with most
>>> people giving mentally retarded answers in return but that's o.k. The
>>> world's full of stupid idiots.

<snip>

HARD

=======

The first
Oh and you
Reboot to a

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (j)
Subject: Linux and HP CD-R/W Drives ?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:30:06 GMT

I plan to install RedHat 5.2 on a computer which only
has an HP 7200i rewritable CD in it. Does the 5.2 package
recognize this drive at all ... at least enough to use
it as a regular CD if not as a rewritable ? HP also
makes a faster version (the 8100?) - would the same
drivers work for it ? Any info/experiences appreciated.

-jim

------------------------------

From: "Newsgroups" <clairt"removethispart"@gennext.net>
Subject: Video Configuration
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:01:47 -0700

I read a message recently that stated there was a program for windows that
created a xf86config file from the widows settings which could be saved on a
floppy or written down for further reference. I believe the program was
called VideoDoctor or something along that line. Were can I get that
program? I have tried www.linapps.com and that did nothing, could someone
please help me to find a site that has this program?

Tyler Clair

------------------------------

From: "Clifton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 06:03:35 +0930

I am intending to install Linux into my current machine and need to find and
internal 56K modem that will function under NT and Linux during the dualboot
transition phase. I don't have any available physical serial ports for an
external modem so internal is a must. Since we can start from scratch, I'd
appreciate any input towards making a good choice.

 I have read that the Hayes ACCURA 56K is compatible with Linux and a good
choice.

Can anyone recommend an internal modem that supports K56Flex and V.90 which
will run under NT and Linux? Could you tell me the Australian model number
of the modem you reccomend (most important).

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryan R. Henry)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: "soft" power button and linux
Date: 06 Jan 1999 14:24:02 -0500

Hmm...I haven't seen anything like that, except maybe on a Mac, but it's been a while
since I've seen one of those, either (my school uses Sun machines :).  You could
unplug the button from the motherboard and make an adapter to plug it into a serial
port or something similar.  From there it would be pretty easy.

Ryan Henry
---
Wrong on most accounts.  const Foo *foo; and Foo const *foo; mean the same: foo
being a pointer to const Foo.  const Foo const *foo; would mean the same but is
illegal (double const).  You are confusing this with Foo * const foo; and const
Foo * const foo; respectively. -David Kastrup, comp.os.linux.development.system

------------------------------

From: Richard Forster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS 120 and Red Hat 5.2
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:24:40 +0000

LinuxCyrix wrote:

> It's in 5.1, so I would assume that it is still in 5.2. Also, Winblows hates
> them... I have it installed and I get the blue screen of death 75% of the time
> I try to access it. They work out of the box under most distributions of Linux.

Strange.
I first saw an IDE LS-120 as it got installed into a NT_sp3/95_osr2/RH5.0
tri-boot machine and worked fine first time in all 3 OSs, no reboots, no
'hardware found - please insert disk' type messages. Plug and Work, as they so
very rarely say.

However, and this may be related to your problem, this machine later got McAffee
(under '95, NT was gone at that time) installed on it and whenever the LS-120
was accessed the machine BSODed. Even better was the fact that the LS-120 was
mounted sharing for the flat's many machines and when you tried to access it
over the network it crashed both machines.
McAffee was removed. Things are fine again.

Rick
     richard.forster at strath.ac.uk
emails with cool .sig suggestions welcome

From: "Sergey Chemishkian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Diamond FirePort40 ?
Date: 7 Jan 1999 04:00:22 GMT

Hi everybody,

Any experience with Diamond FirePort40 on  a Linux box ? Is it supported,
how easy is to make it work ..

Thank you,

Sergey

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet Card Recommendation
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:52:43 -0500

I've got an SVEC PN-1700T here.  ISA, jumperable, does 10-BaseT and
10-Base2, works flawlessly with the NE2000 driver in kernel 2.0.36 as a
module.  Got it for $7 at an online auction.  It's labeled as a PnP card
- I was very happy to discover that it is also fully jumperable.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ps/2 mouse trouble
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:59:58 GMT

I can't get my VersaPad or an external ps/2 mouse to work in linux. I had it
working once, but I reinstalled Linux, and now, no mouse. It originally worked
as /dev/psaux, and it appears that other 505 users report using this dev, but
when I attempt to use it (gpm -m /dev/psaux) It just says 'device not found'.
The device exists, and the major and minor numbers are correct. I've
re-installed I-dont-know-how-many times, trying to recreate the first
installation, but no success. The mouse works fine in Win98, so I seriously
doubt hardware trouble. If I connect a serial mouse to the serial port, I can
use /dev/ttyS1 just fine.
I'm using kernel 2.0.35, Caldera OpenLinux 1.3

Any ideas?

thanks,
Dustin