  Motherboard Monitor for Linux (Norbert Goebel)

From: Roy Batty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: P55T2P4 and AMD K6-2-350
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:56:28 +0100

Hello Kurt,
I'm experiencing the same problems with exactly the same
setup (the only difference is that my board is rev. 3.0).
The best stable combination that I could find is
5x66 MHz = 330 MHz and BIOS settings at 70ns auto.
This sucks, because the CPU is supposed to run at 350 MHz
(or more), and the RAMs are definitely 60ns-chips.
When I try 60ns-auto in the BIOS (worked fine with the old
Pentium-166) the machine wont't boot.
If you find a better stable combination, please let me know.
- Roy

 In a world without fences and walls
 who needs gates and windows?
========================== [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drivers for Riva TNT
Date: 11 Jan 1999 10:45:21 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Simone Piccardi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Go to the any RedHat mirror and look inside the update/upgrade
>directory; you must find XFree 3.3.3 that supports Riva TNT.
>You need to download these rpm:

Why can't you just upgrade the SVGA server?  Have the fonts really changed?
Why the libs?

>XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-VGA16-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-devel-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm
>XFree86-libs-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

>I did this and I've everything working (I've a Diamond Viper 550).
>Remember that the right server for Ndivia RIVA TNT is SVGA.

too bad we can't have one just for Nvidia, accelerated along with OpenGL support :-)

--
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: Philips HCS-80 dumb terminal
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 99 01:12:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Martin von Weissenberg" writes:

> function keys ("Local/Line", "Fnct", etc.).  The product label on the
> bottom states: HCS 80/14, Terminal Telematique, Mode 1 Videotex CEPT
> (Profil 2) 25L-40C, Mode 2 ASCII (ISO 20 22 ISO 64 29) 25L-80C.

It sounds like it's a Videotex/Viewdata terminal.  Probably won't serve
you much purpose on a Linux system.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Help w/ Sun GDM-20D10 Monitor (Trinitron Tube)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:54:06 GMT

In article <77d07k$ieq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just picked up a Sun Sparcstation 2 with a Sun GDM-20D10 monitor. Soon
> after I booted the machine up I noticed two thin black lines running all the
> way across the monitor. One is roughly 4" down from the top, and another is
> about 4" up from the bottom. I originally thought it may have been a cable
> problem, but reseating and/or flexing the video cable has no effect.
>
> I've heard that all (older? circa 1995?) Trinitron tubes exhibit these thin
> black lines, but I really hope that is not the case. They are VERY noticable,
> especially once you become aware of them on a bright background .. I recall a
> Sony CPD-1304 monitor I had quite a few years ago developing this problem
> after a few years of use. I never investigated the issue with that model as I
> moved up to a larger unit. This 21" GDM-20D10 seems to have a very high
> quality picture (with the exception of the two lines) so I'm hoping there is
> a fix for this problem!
>
> The machine is running Solaris 2.5 and I hope to soon install Sparc Redhat
> Linux.

There is a recent thread on alternatives to Sun monitors:

     http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=426249475

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Drivers for Xircom Realport
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:15:26 GMT

Does anyone know of a driver for a Xircom Realport CardBus 10/100
PCMCIA card?  I've got one in my Toshiba Techra 8000 and Linux
can't see it.

Thanks
Greg

From: Ruben Decrop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System too big
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:58:12 +0100

I try to recompile to kernel in order to include sound support.  I
include the sound system as a module.  When I do a 'make zImage' the
resulting kernel is 521K but I get a complaint that the system is too
big.

I have seen already kernel images that are much bigger (>700 K).  Why do
I get this complaint, and how can I resolve it?

Ruben Decrop

------------------------------

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Again: XFree86 and Graphics Chips issues
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:05:16 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> It seems my original post did not draw much attention, so here comes the
> second version of my question (btw, thanks to Carlie J. Coats for providing
> the single answer on this issue so far). In short, I am looking for
> chipset/graphics card suggestions/comments to work with XFree86/Linux.
> Current contenders are: Mach64 (ATI RagePro) Riva128 (ASUS 3DB V3000) Riva
> TNT Intel i740 Any other chips you would suggest

Riva 128 and 128 Zx work with Xfree86 3.3.2. Dont know about OpenGL on Linux
Riva TNT works with Xfree86 3.3.3
Dont think the i740 will work at all
ATI 3d acceleration kinda sux until you get to the Fury and it is way too new
to be supported.

Hope that helps. I have the Riva 128 and it works fine for my taste. I am
thinking about the TNT, but only because I want to play Quake3 under Linux. I
hope that will work :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux with Non Intel
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:39:22 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:21:36 -0500, Matt Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>DEATH TO INTEL!!
>
>LONG LIVE AMD!!!

Hmm, what about PowerPC and Alpha?

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] UIN 3585990
Why do you pay BIG BUCKS for "micro" software with BIG BUGS?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home
Date: 11 Jan 1999 17:27:28 GMT

Shane Bearham  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a question or two to ponder...... which you DON'T have to answer of coarse.
>Q.   How much does it cost for your net connection per month ???????
>Q.   How much do you pay for Data/Phone charges

Those are very Australian questions. Our friend here is connecting through
@home; huge bandwidth at a flat rate of about $40/month. No phone charges at
all.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have
Date: 11 Jan 1999 17:30:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> SORRY MAN
> BUT I DON'T PAY S*** FOR AN OPERATING SYSTEM THAT IS FREE AND CHANGES WITHIN A FEW
>MONTHS !!!
> SO THROW YOURSELF OUT AND GET LOST !!!

Even though it changes all the time, you really only have to pay the two
dollars once. After you have it working, you can easily update online. The
CD is just to get you started the first time. It really will make your life
easier. If the two dollars is a problem, give me your address and I'll order
it for you.

miguel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:15:23 +0100
From: Markus Wollgarten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Peculiar (?) problems with CDROMs

==============24C0E25714AC3D713A194F43

Hi all!

I have problems using my
Mitsumi  CDROM and HP CDRW

First my configuration:

kernel 2.0.36 (Debian slink)
the kernel was compiled with the options

NO Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
YES SCSI emulation support

YES SCSI support
YES SCSI CDROM-support
YES SCSI generic support
YES Verbose SCSI error reporting

devices scd0,scd1,...sga,sgb,... sg0,sg1,...
have been created

my lilo.conf contains the line
append="hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

while booting the messages

ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f
hda: IBM-DHEA-36480, 6197MB w/476kB Cache, CHS=790/255/63, DMA
hdb: HP CD-Writer+ 7200, ATAPI drive - enabling SCSI emulation
ATAPI overlap supported: No
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2110A, 2014MB w/76kB Cache, CHS=4092/16/63
hdd: FX600S, ATAPI drive - enabling SCSI emulation
ATAPI overlap supported: No
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 7200   Rev: 3.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: CD-ROM FX600S !B  Rev: P01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total.
show up

Now to the things I do not undertand:

When I link the Mitsumi drive to cdrom (ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom)
I can use xplaycd and xmcd without problems.
When I link the HP-drive to cdrom (ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom,same
permissions for scd0 and scd1)
playcd and xmcd show up but do not play the music though xplaycd shows
the right number of tracks

On the other hand the HP-drive works with cdparanoia III, but the
Mitsumi does not.

Is there someone outside who understands this and could kindly help me
to solve this??

Further xcdroast does not record at all. But this may be connected to
the scsi-emualtion stuff?!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Markus

Dr. Markus WOLLGARTEN
Institut fuer Angewandte Physik
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093 Zuerich
Tel. +41-(0)1-63-32126
Fax. +41-(0)1-63-31105
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html

==============24C0E25714AC3D713A194F43

<HTML>
Hi all!

<P>I have problems using my
<BR>Mitsumi&nbsp; CDROM and HP CDRW

<P>First my configuration:

<P>kernel 2.0.36 (Debian slink)
<BR>the kernel was compiled with the options

<P>NO Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
<BR>YES SCSI emulation support

<P>YES SCSI support
<BR>YES SCSI CDROM-support
<BR>YES SCSI generic support
<BR>YES Verbose SCSI error reporting

<P>devices scd0,scd1,...sga,sgb,... sg0,sg1,...
<BR>have been created

<P>my lilo.conf contains the line
<BR>....
<BR>append="hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
<BR>....

<P>while booting the messages

<P>....
<BR>ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f
<BR>hda: IBM-DHEA-36480, 6197MB w/476kB Cache, CHS=790/255/63, DMA
<BR>hdb: HP CD-Writer+ 7200, ATAPI drive - enabling SCSI emulation
<BR>ATAPI overlap supported: No
<BR>hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2110A, 2014MB w/76kB Cache, CHS=4092/16/63
<BR>hdd: FX600S, ATAPI drive - enabling SCSI emulation
<BR>ATAPI overlap supported: No
<BR>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
<BR>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
<BR>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
<BR>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
<BR>scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
<BR>scsi : 1 host.
<BR>&nbsp; Vendor: HP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Model:
CD-Writer+ 7200&nbsp;&nbsp; Rev: 3.01
<BR>&nbsp; Type:&nbsp;&nbsp;
CD-ROM&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<BR>Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
<BR>&nbsp; Vendor: MITSUMI&nbsp;&nbsp; Model: CD-ROM FX600S !B&nbsp; Rev:
P01
<BR>&nbsp; Type:&nbsp;&nbsp;
CD-ROM&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<BR>Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
<BR>scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total.
<BR>....
<BR>show up

<P>Now to the things I do not undertand:

<P>When I link the Mitsumi drive to cdrom (ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom)
<BR>I can use xplaycd and xmcd without problems.
<BR>When I link the HP-drive to cdrom (ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom,same
permissions for scd0 and scd1)
<BR>playcd and xmcd show up but do not play the music though xplaycd shows
the right number of tracks

<P>On the other hand the HP-drive works with cdparanoia III, but the Mitsumi
does not.

<P>Is there someone outside who understands this and could kindly help
me to solve this??

<P>Further xcdroast does not record at all. But this may be connected to
the scsi-emualtion stuff?!
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Thanks a lot in advance.

<P>Markus
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Dr. Markus WOLLGARTEN
Institut fuer Angewandte Physik
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093 Zuerich
Tel. +41-(0)1-63-32126
Fax. +41-(0)1-63-31105
[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;
<A
HREF="http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html">http://www.iap.ethz.ch/users/wollgarten/index.html</A>
========================================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: 11 Jan 1999 17:38:39 GMT

David Shepherd  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Whilst this obnoxious person has been winding everyone up, there has
> been mention of what his ISP would think of his antics. Assuming he uses
> an ISP.

Notice that he uses "drg" as his user name. This is the same as that used by
Dr John Grubor, one of the internet's most famous kooks. All of which
suggests to me it's just a silly troll.

miguel

------------------------------

From: Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with several SCSI devices
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:17:32 +0000

Hi Chris,

I don't know just what your problem is but I feel you need to narrow
down the problem by removing some of the devices to start with.
It doesn't need a physical removal of the Discs or CD's just disconnect
their data leads.

Also the question I feel MUST be asked is

If you have nothing hanging off the 1542 then why have it in the
PC??????

OK maybe you will want to put something on it but right now it's there
just ( maybe ) causing the problem so take it out for now.

Can I suggest you try the following

When the PC boots watch the screen. You should see the 2940 bios kick in
and then it should find the devices hanging off it. If it doesn't show
you what you know you have got then these are some of the faults which
could cause it.

1/ Conflicting SCSI ID's ie two or more with the same ID.

2/ unterminated cable. If you have a cable with one end at the SCSI card
and daisy chained to the devices then the other end of the cable must
connect to a drive.

In this case only the SCSI card and the end drive should be terminated.

If this is not true you can get reflections along the cable which screws
up what the Card sees.

3/ If you have a cable with a device at each end then only these two
should be terminated. The Card should NOT be terminated in this case.

4/ Faulty cable

5/ Faulty terminator

6/ Faulty device (s)  Faulty devices can lie about their SCSI ID
whatever the jumpers say they are

I am not sure if the 2940 is ultra wide or not. If not then ID 7 MUST BE
the SCSI Card ( usually the default )
ID 0 has to be your Boot Hard Disc unless you have had a CD burned to
act as a boot device.

The rest can be ID 1 to 6 .

Also when the PC boots and the SCSI ROm kicks in you should be able to
do CTRL A to get into a config program for the SCSI Card.

------------------------------

From: Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: SCSI CDROM on an IBM Thinkpad .. I can't make it work
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:27:33 +0000

Brent Rader wrote:

> Here is a quick list of what I have:
>
> - IBM Thinkpad 750Ce with the docking station (dock I)
> - SCSI controler = Futrue Domain TMC 885  Base address 0xca000 irq 11
> - CD-ROM is IBM,  ID=3  LUN=0
> -  RH5.2
>
> Ok, so the problem is that I can't mount the drive.   Here is what
> happens when I try:
>
> # mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
> scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 147, scsi0, channel 0, id
> 3, lun 0
> Request Sense 00 00 00 10 00
> scsi0 host 0 abort (pid 157) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> Disc change detected.
> isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0b:00 iso_blknum 16 block 32
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
>             or too many mounted file systems
> SCSI CD error: host 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 18000002
> oSense class 0, sense error 0, extended sense 0
> ___________
>
> Sometimes it will work.  Most of the time it doesn't and I get these
> error messages.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> BR

Only bit I can give an idea with is the line which starts
mount; wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock ........

If you have no CD in the drive that's what you get ( I just tried it. )

Could it be you have a dirty laser head or the CD's are a bit rough ?

HTH
norm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:31:38 -0700
From: Nick Belnap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pioneer DRM-1804x jukebox driver

Does anyone know of a driver for a drm-1804x cd jukebox for Linux?

From: Norbert Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motherboard Monitor for Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:33:48 +0100

Hi,

does anybody know, if there is a monitoring programm for the LM75/79
temp/voltage montoring chips?
For Windows I know some, e.g. MotherBoardMonitor, but for Linux ?

Thanks for answers,
Norbert