Linux-Hardware Digest #156, Volume #11            Wed, 1 Sep 99 15:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Modem Motorola (Rob Clark)
  Re: Linux and ESS Soundcards ("Carlos")
  Re: New SiS Drivers@SuSE (Ray McLaughlin)
  Re: hooray! PS/2 /w Linux at 115200 bps! ("Charles Sullivan")
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Linux and ESS Soundcards ("Carlos")
  Problem with CD Player in GNOME. (Liguo Song)
  Re: What is the best 10/100 NIC for RH 6.0? (Chi Kwong Cheung)
  Re: Need a SCSI Lesson Please ("Japie")
  Notebook vendor support for Linux? (Piotr Kasprzyk)
  Aztech s. card compatib ("Anne Marie Renucci")
  Re: zip scsi interface real scsi? (Les Schaffer)
  any experience with Stadis MPEG Decoders under Linux? (Constantine K. Christakos)
  Re: SCSI Tape problem, help! (Pierre Asselin)
  Re: Building a system, is this hardware compatible? (Leejay Wu)
  ATI Rage Pro and XFree86 (John Vriniotis)
  Re: Number Nine Revolution 3D PCI (Ray McLaughlin)
  Cheap video card (David Meybohm)
  Re: Parport problem (Roland Baudin)
  Re: Partition Problems on a HardDisk (Torleiv Flatebo Ringer)
  getting canon bjc-2000 working NOT REDHAT (genkai wa doko da)

Subject: Re: Modem Motorola
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:57:01 GMT

In article <7qj79h$irn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
philippe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone internal Modem and i am wondering if

For generic modems based on Motorola chipsets, SM = soft modem.
Yours is a controllerless, DSP-less, Windows-only modem.  It will not work
without the Windows "modem emulation" software.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

From: "Carlos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and ESS Soundcards
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:42:26 -0300

You need ALSA: http://www.alsa-project.org/

Can't give you any config instructions yet as i'm still trying to config my
own ESS SOLO1 with ALSA. (If anyone has any hints for, please mail)

rgds,
Carlos ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Dave Willis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MhXy3.1262$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi.  I am brand new to Linux and just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 on a
> K6 266 PC with an ESS Solo PCI Plug and Play soundcard.  Can anybody
advise
> me on what to do to get it to work with Linux?  I'd appreciate any advice
by
> e-mailing me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or by post here.  Thanks!  Hopefully I
> can gain some knowledge and help others to learn what seems to be a great
OS

------------------------------

From: Ray McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New SiS Drivers@SuSE
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:58:08 -0500

Thanks for the tip. By the way what are the different files for the same
card, for example xi128.rpm and xi128-3.3.4-8.i386.rpm. I down loaded
both but can't figure out which to install. Is one a beta? Both files
are the same size. By the way, DOS has a handy command: fc /b for "file
compare /binary" does linux have a similar command?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: hooray! PS/2 /w Linux at 115200 bps!
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:55:29 -0400

I've done 115200 bps transfers over null-modem cable on a 5 MHz
8088 box with 8250 UART (w/ H/W flow ctrl).  However the actual
transfer rate is not that fast - there being an appreciable time delay
between each byte.  As I recall the best I could get was about
4000 bytes/sec when transferring to RAMDISK, instead of the
theoretical 11520 bytes/sec.  (RS232 adds a start and stop bit,
hence 10 bits/byte).

Joe Kovacs wrote in message ...
In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz) writes:

>I must've missed the original request.  I would have thought all along
>that it can do 115200.  I've had 8Mhz 8088 boxes run their serial ports
>at 57600, and I've had 10Mhz 286 boxes run their serial ports at 115200.
>(In both cases, using 8-bit I/O cards and null-modem connections to
>other computers, transferring files with X/Y/ZMODEM protocols using
>Procomm Plus under DOS.)

These were clones, right?

Joe Kovacs
Guelph Ontario Canada

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:14:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stuart Hall wrote:
[snip]
> > When I boot from loadlin I got the uncompressing linux and the
> > system hung for about 20 seconds when usually it just rips right by
> > that notification.
>
> Exactly what could be expected. Internal cache works with full
> processor speed, while with a 100 MHz bus speed, the external one
> gives you very little speedup (if any).

Uhm, no.  He said that he disabled BOTH the external and internal cache,
which would REALLY slow the system down.  But that's totally irrevalent,
since the P-II's cache has NOTHING to do with bus speed.  It runs at 1/2
the CLOCK speed of the CPU.

> HTH,
> Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
> Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
> tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: "Carlos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:59:45 -0300

Actually i just got my ESS SOLO-1 to work by following the ALSA instructions
on the below page, the page is about the IBM Thinkpad 390E, but  i don't
think it matters that must (I've got a Thinkpad I series 1452 with the same
soundcard)

http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/tp390e/sound.html#options

rgds,
Carlos

news:7qje2b$uq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Liguo Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with CD Player in GNOME.
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:09:28 -0500

Hi, Dear friends,

I am new to Linux and need your help!

I met a problem with cd player after installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 on my
PC.

First time I started GNOME CD Player, it worked fine except the sound
volume is very low. So, I tried to start the  Audio Mixer in the main
menu. A message box popped out and asked me to run esd in terminal. I
did it, then I could run the Audio Mixer. After the Audio Mixer started,

cd player cannot make any sound. Even, restarting the CD Player or
reboot the system won't solve this.

To make it even worse, other CD player, like Xplaycd won't work either.

The CD ROM and Soundcard is working OK. Just can't play cd music. :(

What's the problem? What should I do to solve this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful response.

Liguo

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:44:02 +0100
From: Chi Kwong Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the best 10/100 NIC for RH 6.0?

Russ

Hello, I installed a 3C509B-TX into my Tiny P5/350 without really
thinking about whether it would work or not. Luckily it was recognised
bu the RH6.0 Installation process and installed the appropriate driver.
I had the Tiny hooked up to a network for 6 days before I brought the
machine down to take home. It worked fine with no problems at all.

Russ Mercer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am about to install Red Hat 6.0 on a Gateway P5/133. At
> the same time, I am planning to upgrade my network to 100
> MBPS with a 4-port dual speed switch. Thus, I need to
> purchase a new NIC for the RH 6.0 machine that will run at
> 100 MBPS.
>
> My question is: what is the most popular, i.e. proven,
> PCI-based 10/100 NIC that is widely available and will work
> with RH 6.0? I was surprised to find relatively little
> guidance from Red Hat itself. Most of the cards on the Tier
> 1 list of their Hardware Compatibility page are either 10
> MBPS, or have product ID numbers that are not listed with
> the mail order places I usually buy from (which frightens me
> because I have read horror stories about slight variations
> in chip sets causing instability or failure in drivers).
>
> The 10/100 card that I would have chosen because it is
> widely available at pretty good prices, 3Com's 3c905B, is on
> Red Hat's Tier 3 list, which means its explicitly
> unsupported. The last time I tried to use a NIC that was not
> on the Tier 1 list (the Intel EtherExpress 16 with RH 5.2),
> the machine locked up after 5 mins of network activity.
>
> So, what is my best bet for a mainstream NIC that will get
> RH 6.0 connected at 100 MBPS without any problems? I have
> absolutely no interest in recompiling the kernel, and I
> can't afford any time to experiment with drivers either, so
> I would prefer to use the drivers that are included in RH
> 6.0.
>
> Thanks for any info or pointers,
>
> --RM

Chi Kwong Cheung

------------------------------

From: "Japie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need a SCSI Lesson Please
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:56:36 +0200

Buy a terminator, and plug it
> in the second socket on the scanner.

Sorry , waths a terminator ?

------------------------------

From: Piotr Kasprzyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Notebook vendor support for Linux?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 19:00:55 +0200

Hi!
Which notebook vendors are supporting Linux? I mean I would like
to have the same level of hardware usage like in Windows 9x and
the vendor should say that notebook XYZ is "Linux ready".

 Piotr Kasprzyk

------------------------------

From: "Anne Marie Renucci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aztech s. card compatib
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:29:50 +0200

I own an Aztech PCI 168, and its not recognized by Linux.
it says : Device busy. Help!!!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: zip scsi interface real scsi?
From: Les Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:41:35 GMT

> Does the card have an external connector?  If so, it doesn't *have*
> to be at the end of the line - it can be in the middle.

i put it in a few years ago, so i dont remember the details, but there
certainly is no external connector showing on the back of the
computer. so i am 95% sure it has no external connector.

> From everything I have heard, I strongly favor a real SCSI
> controller in *any* environment.

yeah, i am headed this way. thanks for your help.

les

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Constantine K. Christakos)
Subject: any experience with Stadis MPEG Decoders under Linux?
Date: 1 Sep 1999 18:28:17 GMT

I have a Stradis SM250 Professional MPEG decoder that I use under Windows 98 and
Linux. There is an free, open driver for Linux available at
http://mpeg.openprojects.net. Unfortunately, I have been having trouble getting
it to operate, and I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with
it.

When I run "modprobe stradis", I get the result:

i2c[0]: 000040
i2c[1]: 000040
i2c[2]: 000040
i2c[3]: 000040
i2c[4]: 000040
i2c[5]: 000040
i2ca0 = 1a10f40

When I run "loadcard 0", I get this result:

/etc/stradis/Decoder2.bit 0 5372
ioctl: Invalid argument
stradis0: IBM config failed
/etc/stradis/Decoder.aud 2 16896
ioctl: Invalid argument

Using parsempeg does not give any visible output to my video monitor connect to
the Stradis card, as it does under windows. Also, I installed "tvset" for X and
parsempeg did not operate using that, either (though neither did it return any
errors).

Does anyone have any advice regarding getting the board to operate or any other
experiences with the Stradis MPEG decoder under Linux?

-Dean

--
Dean Christakos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pierre Asselin)
Subject: Re: SCSI Tape problem, help!
Date: 1 Sep 1999 15:18:40 GMT

"James Mandy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have no idea what the device name for my tape drive is !

>Ive tried, st0, nst0, and a few others, with no luck.
>ive tried some "mt" commands, with no luck. I added a sym link in /dev like
>so..
>ln -s /dev/st0 /dev/tape

>also tried other devices in the sym link, no luck.

Do an `ls -l /dev/*st?'.  Mine says:
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       9, 128 Feb 19  1999 /dev/nst0
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       9,   0 Feb 19  1999 /dev/st0

If the special files aren't there, su to root, go to the /dev
directory, and type `./MAKEDEV st0'.  If the files are there as
ordinary files or symlinks, etc.  remove them before running MAKEDEV.

>Do I need any special kernel config'ing to get this to work? I have generic
>scsi support compiled in but not "scsi tape" support.. I dont think anyway.

At a minimum, as a module.  Personally, I compile mine built-in.

    $ cat /proc/devices
    Character devices:
      1 mem
      2 pty
      3 ttyp
      4 ttyS
      5 cua
      6 lp
      7 vcs
      9 st         <<<<<<<<<<------------ must have this
     10 misc
     36 netlink
    128 ptm
    136 pts

    Block devices:
      2 fd
      8 sd
     11 sr

--
--Pierre Asselin, Westminster, Colorado

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a system, is this hardware compatible?
Date: Wed,  1 Sep 1999 11:11:18 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 1-Sep-99 Re: Building a
system, is t.. by Johan [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Does Linux work with the Diamond MX300?  Does it support the card's

Hm, checking www.diamondmm.com to see what it uses... an Aureal Vortex-2
(a.k.a. AU8830).  There is no open-source support (that I know of...)
for any Aureal chipset; www.opensound.com still lists the ETA for a
beta driver as September '99.  FWIW, opensound sells proprietary,
binary-only drivers.  Keep this in mind.

And remember to always, always check the chipset.  That's what matters
normally.

Note regarding hardware Q's:  a good place to check includes the
Hardware Compatibility HOWTO (and a couple of others; I believe there's
one on sound, and one on Ethernet, and so forth) -- all accessible at
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.

XFree86 has its obvious .org site, and linux3d.org is another place to
check.  The ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) runs off of
alsa-project.org.

> > 3d sound accelleration?  Same with the Turtle Beach Montego sound
> > card?  How is the AGP graphics support?  I know xfree86 works with

The Montego uses an Aureal AU8820.  Same company doing closed drivers
(opensound), but they've got a beta available for this one.  Ask Aureal
if you like; it's theoretically possible that they'll bother to respond
one day.  Oh, and the Montego II uses an AU8830.

AGP support exists, but check based upon what card you're looking at.

> > voodoo-based cards, and I've thought about getting an AGP vooodoo 3

Checking www.linux3d.org.  Voodoo, V. Rush, V. 2, V. Banshee, and the
V3 all seem to have support, albeit the drivers might not be integrated
into XFree86.  FWIW, those drivers appear to have been produced under
NDAs.

nVidia has opened up support for its TNT/TNT2 line, but its hardware
acceleration support isn't quite as mature yet AFAIK (on Linux, that
is...).

Matrox, IIRC, has been quite supportive of Linux; it's G200 card seems
to be pretty commonly used.

> > card, if Linux will support it.  How is Linux gaming support for
> > these cards?  Note I'm not really interested in a sound card that

There are lots of 3dfx-using Quake players, methinks.  I'm not one of
them and can't comment personally on 'em.

> > will only work under WINE.

WINE doesn't do that sort of thing; it's got to use what Linux
provides.
--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Vriniotis)
Subject: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:25:22 GMT

Hi,

I am getting very frustated here.  I installed Redat Linux 6.0 on my
computer almost two weeks ago.  The installation went fine and it
works at the unix promt level.  If I want to get into xfree, my
monitor goes blank.

Here is my configuration:

IBM Aptiva
PII - 266 mhz
64 meg ram
6.2 gb hd - partitioned 4gb win98/1.5gb linux/200mb linux swap
CD/DVD drive (Hitachi)
CD-RW (Sony)

ATI 3D Rage Pro (2mb) built onto the motherboard
Creative Labs Voodoo2 (8mb) connected to the ATI output

IBM 2138 MM75 Multimedia monitor (built in speakers and microphone)

When I run XF86Config, I setup my mouse and keyboard with no problem.
When it comes time to choose my vide card, I choose the ATI 3D Rage
Pro that is on the list.  This makes my default Xwindows server the
MACH64 (which makes sense).  I then configure my monitor manually
(H-freq. 30.0-69.0  and V-freq 50.0-160.0)

Whenever I try to run xwindows (startx) my screen goes blank (just
like when it is in powersave/screensave mode).  I have tried just
about everything that I can think of but still cannot get this to
work.

Please help.

Thanks

John

PS:  If anyone has successfully setup the ATI Rage Pro card, I would
appreciate it if you can email me your config file so I can use it as
a reference.

------------------------------

From: Ray McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Number Nine Revolution 3D PCI
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:26:32 -0500

Nik Simpson wrote:

> Ray McLaughlin wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Stuart Johnston wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Number Nine Revolution 3D PCI video card that I have been
> >> trying to get working with XFree86 without success.  Has anyone had any
> >> success with this card?  I know that the AGP version is supported but I
> >> have the PCI.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stuart Johnston
> >
> >From what I have read at, http://www.xfree86.org, this card uses the
> >I128 server.
>
> Correct, that's what I'm using at 1024x1280x24bpp.
>
> --
> Nik Simpson

Do you have any trouble with it locking up when you Ctrl+Alt+F2, or what
ever, to a v-console, and then try to go back to X? Mine does all the
time. XF386Config has an option to disable signal trapping, with an
explanation that it prevents X from exiting cleanly, but doesn't say if
this is a problem with signal trapping, or with disabling it. Could this
be related to my problem?

From: David Meybohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cheap video card
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:37:38 -0500

Thrifty bastard seeks cheap yet not crappy video card supported by
XFree86.  Looking for PCI, ~4-8MB display mem.  3d need not apply.
Suggestions? thanx

------------------------------

From: Roland Baudin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Parport problem
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 17:23:37 +0200

Steffen Sobiech wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > A) Are you sure you need /dev/parport* ?
> > B) /dev/parport0 is not neccessarily equal to /dev/lp0; try /dev/parport1.
>
> Better: In vmware you should use the lp-devices. I do it and it works.

In vmware 1.08 (experimental version), bi-directional parallel port can be
used. But, vmware needs an access to /dev/parport0 and it doesn't work (perhaps
it's a bug in this version of vmware?).
In fact, my first problem was to be able to share /dev/lp0 between Linux and
vmware. Actually, I have to manually remove the /dev/lp0 device whenever I need
to print on Linux because if I don't do this, printing doesn't work. That's why
I was investigating parport.

RB

PS : Thanks for your answers!

------------------------------

From: Torleiv Flatebo Ringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 19:39:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Partition Problems on a HardDisk
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

I have had problem with my linux partitions being before my win parts.

Here is an example of a partioning scheme with a 10G disk, booting NT,=20
linux, and DOS:

[root@ACC_GD ringert]# /sbin/fdisk
Using /dev/hda as default device!

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1247.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1247 cylinders
Units =3D cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       261   2096451    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           262       326    522112+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda3           327      1247   7397932+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5           327       342    128488+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6           343       848   4064413+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           849      1247   3204936    7  HPFS/NTFS

BTW, if you have 128mb RAM, 128mb swap should be fine.

It's not necessarily that lilo will complain, its just that you could=20
have problems with a linux root partition being over the first 8G or=20
so.

On 9/1/99, 1:28:51 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Laurie Robert Young) wrote=20
regarding Re: Partition Problems on a HardDisk:

------------------------------

From: genkai wa doko da <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting canon bjc-2000 working NOT REDHAT
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:33:09 GMT

Ok I have been playing with this thing for a while, I can't get it to do
anything. I have seen some posts from people using printtool to get it
working but I am not using redhat so this doesn't help me.
The only way I know the printer actually works is that I installed
windows a couple months ago so I could use my scanner (a scsi one
supposedly supported under SANE but just didn't work for me)
I don't want to use Windows to print files! Halp!
(yes I RTFM(s))

gauze
--
======