Linux-Hardware Digest #269, Volume #9            Mon, 25 Jan 99 22:13:31 EST

Contents:
  ZipDrive & CDROM (Geoffrey Sinkeler)
  Re: Will Soundblaster PCI128 work with RedHat 5.2? (PariVallal Kannan)
  SanDisk drives as IDE slave (Michael Hornsby)
  Re: linux and k6 chip (garv)
  3Com/U. S. Robotics - Model 1749 (Sreekanth Pannala)
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (David E. Fox)
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Erik Naggum)
  3dfx voodo banshee with redhat 5.2? (Che-Ming Chang)
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Sven Utcke)
  Re: Future Modem support. (Johan Kullstam)
  US Robotics ISDN 128k question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Erik Naggum)
  Re: Acer Vuego 620S scanner: Usable under Linux? (Red Coral)
  Re: S3 VIRGE GX2 Video Card. ("Hugh")
  I am a Linux Know Nothing, would like to know (Izod66)
  Re: Is my Diamond Supra Express 56i V Pro PCI modem Linux compatible? ("Randall E.
Williamson")
  HP Deskjet 1120C ("Hugh")
  Re: printing to Apple Laserwriter pro 630 (Tony Dahbura)
  Re: PnP Modem not working with isapnp ("Justin Ryan [PHT]")
  TV tuner cards (Thomas Allen Martin IV)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoffrey Sinkeler)
Subject: ZipDrive & CDROM
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:04:31 GMT

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie (installed RedHat 5.1 last Thursday) and have some
questions which I hope that someone can help me with the next three
questions:

1) I have problems with mounting my CDROM's. I have a Asus 40 speed
IDE and a Yamaha 2X4X6 IDE cdrewriter. With diskmanager I found one
(don't know which one) in the list, but since it is a ISO9660
standard, I can't mount it. It says that the Kernel does not support
it. Is that true? I mean 5.1 was released in August last year, and I
can't hardly believe it. Is there a trick so that I can mount it?

2) How can I mount my Parallel Zipdrive? Is there a program that I
need to install and if so, where can I find it?

3) Is there a site especially for newbies?

Thanks,
Geoffrey Sinkeler

------------------------------

From: PariVallal Kannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will Soundblaster PCI128 work with RedHat 5.2?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:11:23 -0500

Markus Wandel wrote:

> From playing with configuration utilities and reading HOWTOs
> I don't see a clear answer.  This is my first PC and I deferred
> purchase of a sound system until everything else was up.
> The SB PCI128 seems to be the defacto standard card (below Live!)
> anyway in the stores around here and the specs look good.
>
> I say RedHat 5.2 because I'm hoping to be able to use the kernel
> as-is.
>
> Will it work?
> --
> Markus Wandel     Ottawa Ont. Canada     (613) 592-1225
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <-- NOT '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (that's for work only)
>
> *** DISCLAIMER ***  Not speaking for or representing my employer in any way.

Use the ALSA drivers. http://alsa.jcu.cz/
The default drivers with RH5.2 doesnt work well. Realplayer didnt work. Then
installed the alsa drivers and my PCI128 worked like charm. All OSS apps plus
Realplayer & X11amp work fine. No need to change/recompile the kernel..

-PariVallal.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Hornsby)
Subject: SanDisk drives as IDE slave
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:57:49 GMT

I am having some problems getting Linux (RedHat 4.2 or 5.0) to see
Sandisk Flash memory drives (http://www.sandisk.com) as IDE slaves.

These drives are ATA devices

- Linux will find the SanDisk drive okay when it is set as a master
- set the drive to a slave and it won't find it (although the BIOS
does)

When I say won't find it. On boot it finds the harddisk drive /dev/hda
but won't find the Sandisk which should be /dev/hdb

Put a slave harddisk in place of the SanDisk and it finds /dev/hdb.

Any idea ?

------------------------------

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and k6 chip
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:55:53 GMT

> >with the k6 300 chip and I am seeing good and bad luck here,was just
> >

> I'm running a system with a K6-2, and haven't had any problems with it.

    Ditto.

------------------------------

From: Sreekanth Pannala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3Com/U. S. Robotics - Model 1749
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:18:21 -0800

Hello everyone,

I followed this newsgroup for a while and listening to all the
woes and cries of modem purchasers, I wanted to make sure
what I am going to buy works under Linux. I checked up the
following site:  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
but it looks like its compatibility with Linux is not reported.

Can some please help and share their experiences with this
internal modem (3Com/U. S. Robotics - Model 1749, Fax/Modem/
Voice, ISA, PnP, Jumper - and specifications are at
http://support.micronpc.com/faq/modemfaq/specs/ts18963.html.

Thanks a lot,

Sreekanth

p.s. It is not a WinModem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David E. Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 25 Jan 1999 14:34:38 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Naggum wrote:

>  initial capital in all nouns, too.  Norwegian used to do that, but it's
>  like several generations ago.

Interesting. Did it just drop out of use suddenly, or did people get
tired of capitalizing every noun? Did it have anything to do with
the advent of the typewriter or other devices?

About the only thing (that I know of, not being German, but only
from study) that's been lexicographally dropped from common usage within
the last century or so is "th". It used to be extremely common up to
about 1900 or so.

>  I hope it makes you happy that automatic conversion to sentence-initial
>  capitals is fairly easy with proper punctuation of sentences, and that I
>  do this before producing hard-copy, but insist that when people print

I would hope so. :) I think that formal communication should still use
correct grammar and style, but electronic communication is decidedly
less formal. Still, I think that eventually some grammar rules and
style will evolve to be more relaxed and informal as electronic
communication becomes more and more pervasive. For instance, there's
some discussion of this in one of the FAQs on Usenet, which discusses
situations where _forcing_ each sentence to end with a ." when quoting
isn't as convenient in an electronic medium. (At least that's the
gist of what I remember.)

Even in discussions involving commands and such, one can't just easily
capitalize the first word of the sentence, unless one rewrites it. For
instance:

'man' is your friend.

vs:

Use the 'man' command to view Unix manual pages.

but not:

'Man' is your friend. (Grammatically correct, but terribly misleading.)

I'd opt for the second sentence, but it takes longer to write, and
shorter sentences are better generally anyway -- which has us using
one axiom of style as a justification for breaking another. Oh well.

>#:Erik

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   the              change magnetic patterns
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      churches         on your hard disk.

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 25 Jan 1999 23:59:08 +0000

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David E. Fox)
| Interesting.  Did it just drop out of use suddenly, or did people get
| tired of capitalizing every noun?  Did it have anything to do with the
| advent of the typewriter or other devices?

  very little information is available about the reasons it was dropped.  I
  have tried to research this, but it is sufficiently long ago that not
  much has been recorded about such issues.  writing styles and such
  weren't people's concerns, really.  I guess all they did was write and
  hope people understood them.  (much like English Elizabethan spelling.)

| About the only thing (that I know of, not being German, but only from
| study) that's been lexicographally dropped from common usage within the
| last century or so is "th".  It used to be extremely common up to about
| 1900 or so.

  yes, fidelity to the Greek etymology required "breathing" letters, and it
  probably was contagious, like split infinitives and ending sentences with
  prepositions in English is frowned upon because of Latin envy, but this
  has been dropped in they pronunciation of many a language.

| I think that formal communication should still use correct grammar and
| style, but electronic communication is decidedly less formal.

  ... and not even close to deserving the kind of time and attention that
  "final copy" receives for print publication.  (I pity those who think of
  USENET as their primary venue for publishing, yet some people behave as
  if it is -- as a USENET user since 1987, I haven't quite gotten used to
  the idea that USENET is taken so seriously as to demand coverage in
  national newspapers.  I tend to regret it whenever I accept interviews,
  although my ever-present companion cat looks good in the pictures, but I
  digress.)

| I'd opt for the second sentence, but it takes longer to write, and
| shorter sentences are better generally anyway -- which has us using
| one axiom of style as a justification for breaking another.  Oh well.

  :)  life's tough, eh?  writing short sentences takes me too long.  but I
  guess that's really obvious by now, anyway.

#:Erik
--
  SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random
  intervals to make them remember that There Has To Be A Better Way.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Che-Ming Chang)
Subject: 3dfx voodo banshee with redhat 5.2?
Date: 25 Jan 1999 20:35:55 GMT

Hi! Gunus,

  can someone please tell me whether the redhat 5.2 works with 3DFX Voodo video card?
Thank you very much! I tried to configure it but it does not  work for me.Thank you
very much!!

--
Che-ming Chang [Tom]
University of Pittsburgh

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 25 Jan 1999 22:50:46 +0100

Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | But you yourself said it could easily be automated.  Why is goint from
> |
> | the words.  The extra       =>      the words.  the extra
> |
> | any more difficult than vice-versa?
>
> * Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> | it appears that you posted with a different color than I can display.
> | could you try again?
>
> * Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | I did?  Now that was quite clever of me --- I didn't even know one could
> | do such a thing...
>
>   no, you can't.  I'm sorry the sarcasm didn't work.

Hey, that was my line.

[explanation deleted]

>   does that explain the process?  I can't quite fathom that you actually
>   _needed_ to have this explained, though.

Oh yes, you can.  And you know it, too.

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Future Modem support.
Date: 25 Jan 1999 17:28:09 -0500

"Jason Hardman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know if there is any planned support, or someone
> working on the drivers for internal PCI type modems?

you'll have to ask the manufacturer for that one.  once they begin
releasing specifications for it, i am sure many linux coders will step
up and write a driver for it.  i suggest you don't hold your breath;
you will probably be waiting a long time.

> Unfortunately I bought a Diamond SupraExpress i56k PRO before getting Linux.
> While it isn't totaly necessary for me as I can still use Win98 to do my
> downloading, It is a Royal pain in the butt.

buy a new modem.  it is the only way.

iirc multitech makes a usable (i.e., non-winmodem) pci modem.  you may
also try an external.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: US Robotics ISDN 128k question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:31:54 GMT

Hello Linux fans - I'd really like to scrap my windows NT ISDN router using
the above adapter.  Has anyone out there gotten it to work with Linux?  I've
read it's supported in the new 2.0.26 and 2.2.x kernels, but I wouldn't know
where to begin as far as setting it up.  Remember I'm talking about the
internal PnP version - sort of. It has hardwired settings for I/O ports, but
the IRQ is software-assigned.  Has anyone out there gotten it working with
Linux?  I'd appreciate any help/advice on this.

Thanks in advance,
Jake Kruse
FHM Capital Services, Inc.

P.S.  Could you send your reply to my email address?  Thanks!

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 25 Jan 1999 22:06:37 +0000

* Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| So why does all the above make Times on a 300DPI-printer to gross to
| be legible, while making it ok at 600DPI and great at 900DPI?

  because at 300DPI the disproportionally thick serifs reduce legibility,
  but they are "thin enough" at 600DPI and get right about 900DPI.  I
  thought I had already explained this.

#:Erik

From: Red Coral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acer Vuego 620S scanner: Usable under Linux?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:25:02 +0800

Frederic Faure wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:44:30 +0800, "Tan Surya W."
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I have Acer Vuego 310P (Parallel). It works fine under Windows NT with
> >the driver I downloaded from acer website (I could not remember the exact
> >URL, it should be under Acer Peripheral).
>         Precisely, // models seem a lot easier to set up, but I chose
> a SCSI model because I read several times that they were a lot faster,
> and especially they let your work while scanning is under way, while
> // models are much more CPU-intensive. Do you confirm?

It is not so bad in WinNT 4.0. I can still do my other task while I'm
scanning, but I'm not sure in Win95. It could be worse since Win95 is not true
multitasking OS.

Surya

------------------------------

From: "Hugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 VIRGE GX2 Video Card.
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:42:12 -0600

I have looked at the bios, and tried everything except spelling it
backwards.
The bios is an "Award plug & play bios" with APM. It works ok with Win95,
but when I do a "startx" with RedHat's 5.1, the screen flashes and then goes
black. Shortly there after, about 4 sec or so, the monitor goes into its
"active-off" power saving state. The information, re:monitor, indicates that
this will occur when BOTH horizontal and vertical sync are not present. Any
more ideas????  I understand that the APM also causes some problems with
Win98. I wonder if this is related.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Izod66)
Subject: I am a Linux Know Nothing, would like to know
Date: 26 Jan 1999 00:42:24 GMT

Would someone please let me know how I can simply see what Linux looks like on
the screen, am very interested and see that now Staples is selling it, would
like to know lots more, currently running compaq Presario w/166MMX Pentium, 32
megs of RAM and Win98, what happens, do I kill Win98, do I have to reformat to
use Linux, will all my software run (to numerous to mention), its all a mystery
to me and I would sure like to understand more, any literature available?
Thank you,

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:38:24 -0500
From: "Randall E. Williamson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is my Diamond Supra Express 56i V Pro PCI modem Linux compatible?

I believe yours in Windows-only.  Check your model number against the list at

------------------------------

From: "Hugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Deskjet 1120C
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:48:47 -0600

Is the HP Deskjet 1120C printer supported by Linux? If so, would someone
point me to the location where appropriate files can be found.

Hugh

------------------------------

From: Tony Dahbura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing to Apple Laserwriter pro 630
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:45:13 -0500

Joshua:
Question is how do I configure the OS to use the printer.  I am not
familiar with that step.  Do I need to build a printcap?  If so how?  I
am new to this printing stuff under unix.

Thanks,
Tony

------------------------------

From: "Justin Ryan [PHT]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PnP Modem not working with isapnp
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:58:04 -0600

one thing you may want to check is if it is jumper-able.. you can also
manually configure the isapnp.conf file, TurboLinux has a nice util that
allows this (turbopnpcfg) and even re-initializes your pnp devices right
away to be sure that your new configuration works.. you may want to check it
out..
-Justin

Justin Ryan

Internet/Developer Relations Associate
Pacific HiTech / TurboLinux
http://www.turbolinux.com/
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Thomas Allen Martin IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV tuner cards
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:29:37 +0000

Does Linux support TV tuner cards?  And if it does which ones does it
support?