Linux-Hardware Digest #268, Volume #9            Mon, 25 Jan 99 18:13:43 EST

Contents:
  Re: Problems with ghostscipt 5.5 (Brian D. May)
  Re: K6 freeze (Frank Sweetser)
  ES1878 Audio driver? (Mattias Uhlhorn)
  Re: Rh 5.2 and SB AWE 32 PnP freezing ("Al Kooz")
  Video Capture Board (Ramon Corominas)
  Does Winfast 3D S800 work with X? ("alexander isacson")
  Re: USB? (Tim Smith)
  Hp720 ??? ("Jan-Edvin Søndenå")
  Re: Linux & Soundblaster PCI128 (Jose Urena)
  IEEE 1394 + Linux? (Mark James)
  Re: Soundblaster: Error Opening /Dev/Audio (Andreas Schneider)
  Re: S3 Trio64V+ PCI supported in XFree86? (Andreas Schneider)
  Re: Mouse configuration (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Newbies who search drivers .... (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Digi Datafire ("Markus Penttilä")
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Sven Utcke)
  Re: SyQuest Sparq 1 GB and Linux (Juergen Froese)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Todd Ostermeier)
  Has anyone had any experience with the following ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New RedHat with linux version 3.3.3 coming soon? ("The  Passenger")
  Re: Acer Vuego 620S scanner: Usable under Linux? (Frederic Faure)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Eugene Strulyov)
  Tape drive recommendation for IDE system.  (Lev Tarasoff)
  Linux & Soundblaster PCI128 (College of DuPage)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian D. May)
Subject: Re: Problems with ghostscipt 5.5
Date: 25 Jan 1999 20:15:23 GMT

Ritchie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I just installed ghostscipt 5.5 on a RedHat 5.2 distribution to use with
: my Epson Stylus Color 600.  When I open the RedHat printer tool, I now
: only have choice of about 15 printers, wheras before I could choose
: betwean many.  Niether stcolor or uniprint is a choice.  Any help
: appreciated on setting this up.

I assume you are referring to the precompiled ghostscript 5.50 (rpm?)
found on Alladin's ghostscript website.  I don't think it has the
stcolor driver (based on the fact that it doesn't show up in the list
in the printtool).  However, I do think it has the uniprint driver
(based on the fact that there are a bunch of *.upp files in the
directory /usr/share/ghostscript/5.50/).  To see if the uniprint
driver is there, try:
gs @stc600pl.upp -sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 tiger.ps -c quit &
where tiger.ps is in the 5.50/examples directory I think.
I'm using gs 5.10, found on red hat site, which has stcolor and
uniprint drivers compiled in.

If you want to use the uniprint driver, you should check out
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html.  The process outlined
(which I followed) is to 1) set up dummy printer(s) using the printtool
(i.e., select any printer out of the list), 2) edit the file
/var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript.cfg for the appropriate uniprint device,
3) edit file /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/ps-to-printer.fpi to handle
uniprint notation.  Away you go.

Advice:
- Set up three print spools: low => stc600pl.upp, medium =>
stc600p.upp, high => stc600ih.upp, for various print quality.
- Try out some of the other device files as well.  The stc500*.upp
files work way better for me (on an Epson 640 not 600 though).

Brian

--
Brian May
Department of Oceanography              email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K6 freeze
Date: 25 Jan 1999 13:53:43 -0500

Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> John Penny wrote:
> > At boot I get a kernel warning message:
> > "AMD K6 stepping B detected - system stability may be impaired if
> > more than 32Mb"
>
> > Has anyone else the Kernel warning re: >32Mb RAM with K6 processor?
>
> I have seen that error on a machine temporary booted to Linux with toms
> boot&root-disk. The machine was really unstable and several programs
> gave segmentation faults.

this was finally declared to be a buggy CPU.  contact AMD, you should be
able to arrange a replacement.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mattias Uhlhorn)
Subject: ES1878 Audio driver?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:04:21 GMT

Where can I find a driver for the ES1878 audio chip, for linux. .. . . ?

From: "Al Kooz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Rh 5.2 and SB AWE 32 PnP freezing
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:08:04 +0100

Ritchie wrote in message <78dkrm$ke9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Well, I can help you a bit.  I had the same problem of the sfxload not
being
>found, I looked and it was there, but the boot sequence looks for it in
/bin
>and on my system, I found it in /usr/bin.  Maybe yours is the same.  I
>copied it from /usr/bin to /bin and rebooted, it found the file and didn't
>give me the device busy error for awe_wave.o.  I can play .au files, but no
>luck playing .midi files yet.  If you succeed, let me know what you did.

Thanx for this help....
Though I have to say that I looked up the sfxload was in the dir /bin...
I tried several other things too, but it didn't do it. .

It still says

...device or resource busy
(AWE no found)

------------------------------

From: Ramon Corominas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Capture Board
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:36:55 +0100

Any one knows a video capture board good for linux, i want it for
videoconference.

Please, send me an email at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you in advance,

        Ramon Corominas

------------------------------

From: "alexander isacson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does Winfast 3D S800 work with X?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:12:18 -0000

I have a Leadtek Winfast 3D S800 card with built in DVD and hardware
MPEG-decoding. Seems to be a special chip. Anyone gotten it to work with X?
Please help.

thanks
alexander

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: USB?
Date: 25 Jan 1999 12:23:10 -0800

Dan Nguyen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Any linux kernels or distros out there supporting USB mice/etc. yet?
>
>I know that Alan Cox is working on USB support.  It'll have support
>eventually.

Keyboards, at least, just simply work (mostly), *if* they work in your BIOS.
I just picked up a USB Microsoft egronomic keyboard (because (1) I wanted to
try out an ergonomic keyboard, (2) it supports both USB and PS/2, so I could
satisfy my curiosity about USB but still use the keyboard if it tuned out USB
didn't work, and (3) they are $20 off at CompUSA and there is a $10 rebate,
making the final price only $30).  After updating my BIOS so that the keyboard
worked there, I tried Linuxm, DOS, Windows 95, and Windows NT, and it worked
in all of them, with only minor glitches:

1. DOS: no problems.

2. Windows 95 and NT.  The NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK lights do not work.  NUM
LOCK and CAPS LOCK work--it is just the lights that don't work.

3. Linux (2.0.36).  NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK do not work.  Pressing either makes
it stop responding for several seconds.  Other than that, it is working fine.

I believe that what is happening here is that the USB hardware on PCs supports
a mode whereby it will make a USB keyboard appear to software as a PS/2
keyboard, and that updating my BIOS enabled that mode.  I've been told that
mice can work this way, too.

For devices other than keyboards and maybe mice, you need USB support in the
OS, but it looks like keyboards and maybe mice can be used now.  Without OS
support, though, you won't get the automatic loading and unloading of drivers
as you plug in and unplug devices, so USB drivers for mouse and keyboard
would be nice.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: "Jan-Edvin Søndenå" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hp720 ???
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:20 +0100

I have successfully installed Staroffice but I cannot get my printer
(HP720c) to work, has anyone gotten this printer to work in Linux. I use
Redhat 5.2

Jan-Edvin Søndenå

------------------------------

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Soundblaster PCI128
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:52:35 -0500

==============BA3568F65FC836D01F65731C

well, try recompiling twice
first:     build into kernel, not as module, the Ensoniq 1370
if it works then stop
second:    build into kernel, not as module, the SB 1371
one must work

you can not go wrong, they are in the first screen of the sound setup

College of DuPage wrote:

>  I'm having trouble getting the Soundblaster PCI128 working under
> kernel 2.2.0-pre8.
> I don't know what chipset I should compile for.  I have looked at
> creative labs web site and they don't say what chip it is based on.
> If someone could tell me what to compile this for I would be much
> appreciative.  Got the rest of my system working after 5 compiles.
> But this is just kicking my butt.  I'm losing sleep over this because
> i spend allnight trying to figure this out.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============BA3568F65FC836D01F65731C

well, try recompiling twice
Ensoniq 1370
1371
PCI128 working under kernel 2.2.0-pre8.
at creative labs web site and they don't say what chip it is based on.&nbsp;
If someone could tell me what to compile this for I would be much appreciative.&nbsp;
Got the rest of my system working after 5 compiles.&nbsp; But this is just
kicking my butt.&nbsp; I'm losing sleep over this because i spend allnight
trying to figure this out.

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:14:45 -0500
From: Mark James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IEEE 1394 + Linux?

Hiya.

I'm looking at getting an Adaptec AHA-8920 IEEE 1394 (firewire)
to PCI card for my RH5.1 (intel) system.

My big question is, will it be supported?

Thanks.

Rev Doc Mark James OLAS

From: Andreas Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster: Error Opening /Dev/Audio
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:29:20 +0100

PG@Root wrote:

> Using RH 5.2.
> Sounblaster Awe 32 (not PnP)
>
> When I installed Red Hat, I could have sworn the install routine
> detected the sound card. I get no sound however using KDE (or any other
> method for that matter). So, I've run SNDConfig, and when it tries to
> play I sound I recieve the message "Error Opening /Dev/Audio". This
> makes me think I don't need to recomplie the Kernel (as suggested in the
> Sound-HOWTO), as if it were already being "held open". Is there a simple
> solution to this (still fairly new to Linux...)?
>
> Patrick

Afaik, your error message _means_ that you have to recompile the
kernel. Personally, I don't know whether the RH-Kernels have sound
compiled in, but since most stock-kernels focus on the `vital`
hardware this seems highly unlikely to me.

Greetings,

Andreas
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?

------------------------------

From: Andreas Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Trio64V+ PCI supported in XFree86?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:21:20 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know I can use a S3 Trio64V+ in XFree86 but I didn't see S3 Trio64V+
> PCI on the list of cards supported in XFree86. Are they the same thing?
> If anyone knows or knows where I can look, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks

It`s even included as option that xf86config presents to you. It uses
the simple accelerated S3 Server.

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse configuration
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:54:53 +0100

Greg Bush wrote:
> Is there any way (besides reinstalling) to get a list of pointer
> protocols and try each one until one works?

"man XF86Config"

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbies who search drivers ....
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:56:25 +0100

Sierra wrote:
> I search areas where I can find drivers for every peripherals under
> Linux and explanation to use this drivers, the installation, ...

cd /usr/src/linux
su
make xconfig

regards Henrik

From: "Markus Penttilä" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digi Datafire
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:43:05 +0200

Is there any way to make Datafire ISA BRI ISDN card work in Linux (2.2.0)?
Has anyone succeeded?

Markus Penttilä

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 25 Jan 1999 22:24:57 +0100

Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | But you are Norwegian, aren't you?
>
>   so?  why _is_ this important to you?  are you a nationalist?

Nope.  But I always wondered and thought this would be as good a time
to ask as any.  You got any problems with your nationality?

> | Hmm.  Other than avoiding ambiguity, I fail to see the sense in that.
>
>   and avoiding ambiguity is not an issue to you?  amazing.

Erik, wasn't it you who critizised other people for "creative editing,
intended to make you look like an idiot"?  You just did the same.
Sigh!

> | >   I personally find 300 dpi laser printers too gross to really be
> | >   legible with either serif or sans-serif fonts,
> |
> | You got a fine eye then.  I can hardly tell the difference.
>
>   not really.  the fonts that we use were designed by very fine pens, and
>   the quality of the lead types used to print them was also very good.  so
>   was the paper on which it was printed.  with the advent of offset
>   printing, the resolution went down somewhat, but Times was designed to be
>   printed on low-quality newspaper that absorbed ink in an unfriendly way,
>   so the high-quality types used before just came out ugly.  so Times was
>   designed to be maximally legible at 8 points on newspaper with these
>   absorption qualities and the high cost of the paper itself was a very
>   significant contributer to the type design: Times is 15% narrower than
>   the fonts that were more popular at the time, thus enabling Times (the
>   newspaper) to print more text on less paper of lower quality than before,
>   which is a _significant_ technological achievement, but people should be
>   aware of the history of Times when they want that font in 1200 dpi laser
>   printers with high-quality, non-absorbing paper.  it becomes _much_ too
>   thin, because the paper _doesn't_ absord ink, anymore, and designing a
>   Times that looks the same yet works on laser printers is no small feat.

So why does all the above make Times on a 300DPI-printer to gross to
be legible, while making it ok at 600DPI and great at 900DPI?

Maybe this discussion should end here.

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

------------------------------

From: Juergen Froese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SyQuest Sparq 1 GB and Linux
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:40:48 +0100

> "Brad K." wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if you can use a SyQuest Sparq 1 gig drive (IDE or
> parallel) with Linux?  I have RedHat 5.1 running the 2.0.36 kernel.

I haven't tested it yet, but the SparQ Drives use a protocol called
EPAT. My Linux version offers me this in the config (2.2.0-pre8) and I
also saw some help explicitly mentioning the SparQ's. Let me know if it
works...  ;-)

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Todd Ostermeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:03:02 -0600

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Tony Eamick wrote:

: You might try Suse 3.2 . It comes out of Germany and would definately have a
: German language version . It is also a fine pkg with drivers for up to date
: video
: cards.

Or perhaps SuSE 5.3?  (3.2?  I thought the first SuSE was 4.2).
Everything else still holds, however.  German based distro, uses rpms for
package management (uses yast as the tool to do so, or you can use the
standard rpm cli), etc.  SuSE 6.0 should be out Real Soon Now (I've not
heard anything lately, but my guess is that as soon as 2.2.0 is stable,
SuSE 6.0 will be released, using the 2.2 kernel).

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Has anyone had any experience with the following
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:39:03 GMT

I am looking into getting a CD-R and another CD-ROM and was looking
into the Smart and Friendly CD Rocket 8x20 CD-R and the Plextor UltraPlex 32
(or 40) CD-Rom.  I was curious as to if anybody has had any experience with
either of these drives, or the manufacturers' products in general.  They are
both SCSI 2, and I have an Adaptec 2940UW card to hook them up with.

Thanks for any information, and please also respond by email.

Shane Rogers                        Linux,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               One less thing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             to worry about.

From: "The  Passenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New RedHat with linux version 3.3.3 coming soon?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:10:31 -0500

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) wrote in message ...
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Wendel) writes:
>
>> On 22 Jan 1999 09:16:42 -0800, d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d
>> u (David Fox) wrote:

version.
<trimmed>
>There are official 3.3.3 update RPMs.

Yes, there are, and I'm happy to report that my SiS6326 AGP video system
works beautifully at 1024x768x24bit.  A big THANKS to the developers who saw
a need to support this chipset!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
< remove 'nospam' to send mail >

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure)
Subject: Re: Acer Vuego 620S scanner: Usable under Linux?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:16:17 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:44:30 +0800, "Tan Surya W."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Acer Vuego 310P (Parallel). It works fine under Windows NT with
>the driver I downloaded from acer website (I could not remember the exact
>URL, it should be under Acer Peripheral).
        Precisely, // models seem a lot easier to set up, but I chose
a SCSI model because I read several times that they were a lot faster,
and especially they let your work while scanning is under way, while
// models are much more CPU-intensive. Do you confirm?

(snip)
>So far, I found that Acer Vuego
>310S (SCSI) might be supported by Vuego Agfa driver
>(http://www.mustang.com/sane is SANE web site).  BTW, are they the same
>product Agfa = Acer?
        I don't know, but the fact is, a lot of scanners use the same
model name (eg 310, 610/620, etc.) I doubt Agfa would OEM stuff,
though, but that would be less unlikely of companies like Acer, Umax,
Plustek, Mustek, etc.

>I am looking for the driver for my parallel Scanner Acer Vuego 310P (or
>AcerScan 310P as the Acer web site calls it).
        Their tech support is not good. I got a couple of e-mails from
someone in Taiwain, but no go. Someone told that he had no problem
running my scanner under Linux, so there's hope on my side. BTW, Acer
Vuego has three web sites (Asia, US, and Europe.)

FF.
--
The system required Windows 95 or better, so I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: Eugene Strulyov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:46:06 GMT

Agreed. SuSE is a very good distribution, especially good for a newbie.  The
German version of SuSE 6.0 is out already, English version is supposed to come
out soon.
I run Debian myself. It works great (awesome!) but it's definitely not
"newbie-friendly" - you need a little experience to run it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:28:03 -0500
From: Lev Tarasoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape drive recommendation for IDE system.

 What is the best (ie reasonably cheap, good quality, and low error
rate) tape backup for an IDE system?I'm running RH linux 4.1 and I
need to back up about 2 gig (full backup). I'm considering the seagate
TR3 IDE unit.  Is this good?

Also, if I do use an IDE tape drive, does this rule out adding a
second HD to my system. BTW, on which channel and which status (slave
or master) would I need to set up an IDE tape drive and my my ATAPI
CDROM?

I've got an old exabyte eagle which works fine on Win95 but which I
could never get to back up more than about 80 mb under linux. And now
it's no longer supported. So I want a system that works, and that has
a reasonable chance of having long-term support.

Please email me personally as I don't often get on usenet?

thanks

Lev Tarasov

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:45:44 -0600
From: College of DuPage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux & Soundblaster PCI128

==============E64F2699EAB937796B97FE67

I'm having trouble getting the Soundblaster PCI128 working under kernel
2.2.0-pre8.
I don't know what chipset I should compile for.  I have looked at
creative labs web site and they don't say what chip it is based on.  If
someone could tell me what to compile this for I would be much
appreciative.  Got the rest of my system working after 5 compiles.  But
this is just kicking my butt.  I'm losing sleep over this because i
spend allnight trying to figure this out.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============E64F2699EAB937796B97FE67

<HTML>
I'm having trouble getting the Soundblaster PCI128 working under kernel
2.2.0-pre8.
<BR>I don't know what chipset I should compile for.&nbsp; I have looked
at creative labs web site and they don't say what chip it is based on.&nbsp;
If someone could tell me what to compile this for I would be much appreciative.&nbsp;
Got the rest of my system working after 5 compiles.&nbsp; But this is just
kicking my butt.&nbsp; I'm losing sleep over this because i spend allnight
trying to figure this out.

<P><A HREF="mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></HTML>

==============E64F2699EAB937796B97FE67==