Linux-Hardware Digest #273, Volume #9            Tue, 26 Jan 99 12:13:36 EST

Contents:
  Re: Modem detection (Owen Lloyd)
  Re: hardware setup problems. (Owen Lloyd)
  Re: Can I run a DOS Device Driver in an emulator (Gerard van der Sel)
  Re: Linux 5.2 support for Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C RAID controller? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: iMac vs PC (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC [Student])
  alsa sound (Bob)
  Re: Problems with ghostscipt 5.5 (Brian D. May)
  Re: data acquisition (Gilles Carte)
  Is DOMEX SCSI controller 436P supported by Linux kernel? (Wojciech Zabolotny)
  At wit's end: keyboard hanging ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER I NEED TO USE LINUX? (Peter Caffin)
  Re: Canon BJC-4300 doesn't work ("Bill the Human Half")
  mouseman+ 4th button ("Kester Clegg")
  Re: Modems for Linux and Unix? (Aaron and Hifumi)
  Re: data acquisition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ZipDrive & CDROM (Antonio Sergio Ribeiro Gomes)
  Parallel Scanner (Robin Lehmann)
  TVout for Linux? Possible? ("SVS")
  Re: PnP Modem not working with isapnp ("Karl J. Ots")
  Newbie Sound Help ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: config intel 740 (JJTGough)
  Modem volume (Ben)
  Re: Tape drive recommendation for IDE system. (Tom Fawcett)
  Re: TV tuner cards ("Tom Lee")

From: Owen Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem detection
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:07:20 +0000

Sunil Thulasidasan wrote:

> How can I get Linux (RH 5.0) to
> detect  my modem? Its a
> Commwave V.34 PnP , manufactured by Multiwave.
> Its set for IRQ11, COM3.
> Please help.

The COM3 you mention is a DOS term.  It has no relevance in Linux.

To configure and use your modem you will need to know the IRQ (which you
have already discovered) and the IO port.  Then use setserial to
configure an unused ttySx device to point at it:--

setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 11 port 0x0xxx uart <uart type>

<uart type> is probably 16550A unless it's old.  Replace xxx with your
port address.

When you have it working, put the setserial line in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.serial file.

[MN] - ICQ - #13276665
                              Powered by Linux 2
http://www.barrysworld.com/mn

------------------------------

From: Owen Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hardware setup problems.
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:57:22 +0000

Robert Barrow wrote:

> Hi I'm a newbie to linux and having just installed RedHat 5.1 I can't
> figure out how to get my WinTV, SBLive and Voodoo2 cards configured. Can
> anybody help me?
>
> Robert Barrow AI Cogs sussex university

Hi Robert,

You will have to be a bit more specific with the problems you are having
in order for my to give meaningful advice, but I can point you in the
right direction:-

WinTV

You will need the bttv driver package from
http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html

plus a TV viewer application such as XawTV  (link on the above page).
Mine works very nicely, execpt now I have installed an ATI Xpert98 video
card, it no longer functions in overlay mode - only in grabdisplay mode
which is a bit of a pain.

SBLive

Quickest solution is to get the commercial version of OSS from 4Front
technologies.
http://www.4front-tech.com/usslite/

Later Linux kernels (2.1.x and 2.2.x series) may also support this card)

VooDoo2

You will need the "GlideV2" lib from 3DFX:-
http://www.3dfx.com/download/sdk/index.html

Depending on what you are going to use it for you may also want "Mesa"
the OpenGL compatible 3D library:-

http://www-hmw.caribel.pisa.it/fxmesa/index.shtml

Plus the Mesa VooDoo driver from the above page.

If you want to run Quake2 with it :-)) then I reccomend you use the 3DFX
mini-GL that comes with the latest version of Q2 (3.20)  You will still
need the Glide lib.

http://planetquake.com/linux/

Also, check out the VooDoo2 FAQ over at 3fingers web page:-
http://www.ve3d.net/3Fingers/

Owen
[MN] - ICQ - #13276665
                              Powered by Linux 2
http://www.barrysworld.com/mn

------------------------------

From: Gerard van der Sel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can I run a DOS Device Driver in an emulator
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:09:10 +0100

"Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a special video card that needs to be initialized by a DOS device
> driver.  There's nothing else available (unless you count windoze).  (For
> the curious, it's a Targa+ overlay card.)
>
> Once the initialization is done, I could throw DOS away and run CP/M-86
> (only joking).
>
> I might be able to boot DOS, initialize the board, and then boot Linux, but
> that stinks, especially if I have to modify the settings.
>
> Is there any way that I can call (perhaps hack up a DOS-style
> load-device-driver-from-the-command-line program) the driver from a DOS
> emulator in Linux to do the job.
>
>       All suggestions, hints, and even sympathy, gratefully accepted.
>
>               Norm D.

See the Linux <-> Windows HOWTO.
You can initialise any card in Dos/Windows and then use a batch file to
start Linux.
In short:
Copy LoadLin.exe and the kernel "vmlinuz" to your DOS/Windows
enviroment.
Make a batch file with the following contents:

loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=<linux boot>

for my system it is:
e:\linux\loadlin.exe e:\linux\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb8

(I am using Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.37)
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Gerard van der Sel
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"De dinosaurussen hadden hun komeet, wij hebben de computer" - me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 5.2 support for Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C RAID controller?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:57:19 GMT

John,

I'm having the exact problem.  I've checked all the web sites and haven't
found a driver for my ARO-1130CA adapter.  Let me know if you hear anything.

Cheers,
cgk

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
Subject: Re: iMac vs PC
Date: 26 Jan 1999 09:24:28 GMT

In article [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
writes:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Mircea  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> I really like that iMac; not that I've actually tried to USE one.  But what
>>> the hell do you do if you want a bigger MONITOR?  Any of you tried to run
>>> Linux on that beastie?
>>
>>...and where the heck do you insert a boot disk?...
>
>Furthermore, according to the MkLinux page maintained by Apple, Linux
>doesn't run on the iMac.  (Maybe they just haven't gotten it to work yet, or
>maybe it's too different (no SCSI, USB instead of ADB, etc) to support it.)

The iMac does indeed run Linux, and the complete setup method is detailed on
the Linux PPC homepage. To install Linux on the iMac go to:

http://www.linuxppc.com/iMac/

and follow the instructions on this page. :-)

I ddon't have an iMac myself yet (penniless student type) but the instructions
look to be easy enough to follow.

Hope this helps

Have Fun
Jim
--
James McBoyle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the Kings and Queens of
the world of the idiocy of war. Therefore She invented tacticians...
(Diane Duane, The Door into Shadow)

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: alsa sound
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:31:02 -0500

I just got alsa 0.2.0-pre10p1 working with kernel-source-2.2.0-final.
The alsa package wanted kernel 2.2.128 or greater, so I got 2.2 from
sunsite. Then the configure script bombed out on non-numeric "-final",
so I commented EXTRA="-final" in kernel source root dir Makefile.

Is there a security issue with ownership and permissions on /dev
files for sound? Default is mode 666 and owner root.root on all.

Oded Arbel wrote:

  Bob wrote:

  > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  >
  > > What can I do with this setup ? : On my computer i have two sound
cards

  > alsa can handle up to 8 sound cards.
  >
  > -bob
  what's alsa ?

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. In Linux Journal there was an article

on
csound and editing and filters, all studio and synthesizer stuff, and
alsa is
the only way to go if you want to use more than one card and other
things. Some of the app names are csound, cecilia, rosegarden, rain,
adsyn,
ceres2, hpkcomposer, patchwork, soundspace.

If you installed linux from cd, look for alsa. I downloaded everything I

have
as Debian packages, and alsa is a package. I couldn't find alsa at
sunsite
last night, but the alsa home site is http://alsa.jcu.cz

I'm listening to a CD now. My first problem was that the alsa configure
script couldn't handle a kernel with non-numeric bytes following the
kernel version number, and I have kernel-source-2.2.0-final, so the
"-final" was bombing out the configure script. The solution there was
to go into /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.0-final/Makefile and comment
the EXTRA="-final", and compile the kernel again. uname -r now
gives 2.2.0. The second problem was just turning up Master with
amixer master 60, after I had turned up out-gain and bass and treble
and everything else. I'm not used to mixers, so I didn't think of
turning
up Master, for a few hours.

Alsa can handle full-duplex, OSS-Free cannot. Alsa is fully OSS-Free
compatible, though. I wonder if it does full-duplex for OSS-free
phone apps?

For windows I hooked up a hardware Labtec mixer so I could grab it
and hit the minus button before the deafening hiss started up on boot.
alsa has a boot-up config that allows for mute on default, and it must
be
more compatible with my sound card, because it doesn't hiss at all on
boot,
even if mute is off. There is no background hiss, it's better than
windows
and OSS-Free.

Now I'm going to go nuts and install everything that uses sound. Debian
has a realplayer package, and I want to get the netscape npmidi.so to
work. full-duplex, phone, mp3, 8-track recording studio...I linked my
kernel with color quickcam and other video support...

-Bob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian D. May)
Subject: Re: Problems with ghostscipt 5.5
Date: 26 Jan 1999 13:19:29 GMT

Ritchie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Worked great, thanks a bunch.  I set it up with three resolutions too.

You're welcome.

: What do you mean other device files worked way better for you?  Better
: quality, better speed?  I haven't tried them yet but I will.  Thanks for the
: help.

Better quality for colour.  For black/white text all of the device
files I tried worked well.  For colour images, I found the results to
be very variable from one set of upp files to the next.  Using
stc600pl.upp (360X360), the image seemed to be washed out and a bit
green.  Using stc500p.upp (360X360), the colour was much nicer but
there was quite a bit of banding.  Using stc600p.upp (720X720) the
colour went from too light to too dark.  Using stc500ph.upp (720X720),
the image colour was nice with no banding - this was the best output
of the lot.

There appear to be two significant differences from the stc500 to
stc600 files:
1) The stc500 seem to have better choice of colour transfer
coefficients, especially for plain paper.
2) The stc600 files allow weaving, which should give better image
quality (i.e., no banding) and faster print speed.

In the end, I made a new set of files combining the best of both
sets.  I edited the stc600 files, inserting the colour transfer
coefficients from the stc500 files into the stc600 files:
stc500p.upp + stc600pl.upp -> stc640pl.upp
stc500ph.upp + stc600p.upp -> stc640p.upp
It's a first go at new device files, but I'm pleased with the
outcome, so far.

Note, if you use high quality inkjet paper, the results can be
significantly different.  For example, the high resolution file
stc600ih.upp should be optimized for inkjet paper, not plain paper.
I'm going to toy with the plain paper options before wasting a lot of
paper and dollars on the inkjet-paper modes.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian May
Department of Oceanography              email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gilles Carte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: data acquisition
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:39:58 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Why do you not use the sound-in (line-in) port of the soundcard?

> dpi

Because I want to be abble to mesure a signal from its continuous
component
up to 1 kHz. And I don't think that this is possible with the input line
of the sound card (such as the microphone line).

I know that basic joysticks are equiped with 100 kohm potentiometers and
it is exactly what I want. So, I will just have to buy 2 potentiometers,
to connect them to the experimental system, the position of wich I want
to mesure and connect the 2 potentiometers to the joystick port.

That's all, folk !

Gilles IV (merci de changer l'R).

INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, projet SINUS, tel : 04 92 38 71 63 (Euler,
B110).

------------------------------

From: Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is DOMEX SCSI controller 436P supported by Linux kernel?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:01:35 +0100

Hi All!

I have got a SCSI scanner UMAX Astra 1200S, which was provided with
proprietary SCSI controller DOMEX 436P (Below the model code there
were additional characters:
9819
002-D436P-001
The whole controller board was marked as DMX3181LE
(additionally on the sticker there was another number:
 UDS-IS11 PC/ISA P/N:970160-18)

Does anybody know if it is supported by linux, what it is compatible
is and how to compile the kernel to use it? I'd like to avoid
buying another SCSI controller. (Scanner is the only SCSI device I have).

                        TIA
                        Wojtek Zabolotny

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: At wit's end: keyboard hanging
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:59:20 GMT

My Dell Dimension P133 keyboard freezes every couple of days while using X.
The only was to restore control is to REBOOT. Not acceptable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Specs: Linux 2.0.36, glibc, XF86SVGA on an STB Velocity 128.

Thanks v. much,

  ~ Casper B-C

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Caffin)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.sex.fetish.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.powerpc,tin.it.computer.pc.linux
Subject: Re: WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER I NEED TO USE LINUX?
Date: 26 Jan 1999 14:03:22 GMT

On 24 Jan 1999 19:52:37 GMT, Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]In <78fibt$epa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "ULY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
]
]>I'VE GOT A PENTIUM 133MHZ 24MB RAM
]That is fine. However, under linux you will have to get a new keyboard
]that also does lower case letters. It is important in Linux that you be
]able to use lower case letters, or it will not work.

Not 100% true, actually. Try this:

At the login prompt, use upper case. The prompt will change from "Login:"
to "LOGIN:". Now switch back to lowercase. Log in. Note that everything
you type will now appear to be in uppercase. Once you're logged in, try
using "ls -al". Yep, the directory entries are displayed in uppercase too.

It's funny how the remnants of those ancient terminals without lower case
characters still remain to this day, hey.

Have fun!

--:     _         ___  _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_| .|. |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/                    PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: "Bill the Human Half" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Canon BJC-4300 doesn't work
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:08:11 -0400

My 4300 works great.  you have to select the 600 -4000 driver and then check
the 3 filter check boxes, use the color printing selection.

works great.

------------------------------

From: "Kester Clegg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouseman+ 4th button
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:18:39 -0000

anyone got theirs working?  I use imwheel and can't seem to get it to do
anything.  I've tried every xmodmap trick known to me, and still no joy...

Kester Clegg

------------------------------

From: Aaron and Hifumi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems for Linux and Unix?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:49:09 -0800

Black Blade wrote:

>be WinModems. If you have a modem running successfully under Linux I
>wouldn't mind getting the brand and model #.

Any external modem that you find will be a good modem from linux. Winmodems are
always internels. That's not to say that all internals are winmodems though.
Just an easy way to find a suitable modem.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 26 Jan 1999 13:36:26 +0100

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hat
Gilles Carte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> geschrieben:

From: Antonio Sergio Ribeiro Gomes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZipDrive & CDROM
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:48:39 -0200

Geoffrey Sinkeler wrote:

> 2) How can I mount my Parallel Zipdrive? Is there a program that I
> need to install and if so, where can I find it?

The answer is simple (not exactly easy for a newbie). All you have to to
do is:
   - Recompile your kernel to support SCSI devices and the PPA driver
(IOMEGA) , because
       it emulated a SCSI device.
       In this case you have to enter /usr/src/linux (in RH) and type
'make xconfig' under X
       and search the SCSI options tab. I suggest further reading (see
/usr/doc/HOWTO/* for
        information on kernel configuration and Iomega Parallel Zip
drive configuration).
    - To mount your zip:
           a) Create an directory to mount on. I use /mnt/zip
           b) type (any time you want) mount -t FSTYPE /dev/sda4
/mnt/zip
                FSTYPE is the file system type (dos, vfat, ext2 ,...)
           c) Ou you can try the JaZip utility to an user-friendly
front-end (COOL!).
                (try Yahoo or Altavista - I don't remember any address
right now)

Note: you can use a PPA driver as kernel-inside driver on as an add-on
driver (module). Modules can be loaded and unloaded at any time.  On my
machine I've used the second option because the final throughput (KB/s)
is better (don't ask me why)

bye

[]'s
Antonio Sergio R. Gomes

------------------------------

From: Robin Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parallel Scanner
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:18:12 +0100

Hi,

I want to use a parallel port scanner with my Linux box.
Looks like parallel port scanners are not supported right now.
Is there a solution for this problem?

regards,
Robin

------------------------------

From: "SVS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TVout for Linux? Possible?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:19:26 -0600

I'd like to use a television set for a linux monitor. I'd like to be able to
use X Windows on it. Anyone know of a video card with output to TV that has
X drivers? Is there another way of doing what I want?

------------------------------

From: "Karl J. Ots" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PnP Modem not working with isapnp
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:42:36 +1100

Sucess! Well, sort of.  My modem now has an identity crisis ... It
can't decide if it's PnP or not.  This is not a problem for Linux, but under
Windows i have both a COM3: port at IO=0x3E8/IRQ=5 and a Modem at IO=0x2E8/IRQ=10.
The funy thing is that the both work!  pnpdump still finds the modem, but whatever
I change the settings to it operates at the aboce COM3: position.

Still, it works under Linux, which is the important thing :)

Another interesting thing is that the modem has jumper settings for COM port and
IRQ, but no jumpers.  I has to flog a few off an old 386 motherboard.

So to summerise (maybe this should go into a Linux Modem FAQ...):

'The "NetComm InModem SVD (IN3420)" can be set up in either PnP or Jumpered mode.
Without any jumpers, it acts as a PnP device, with the jumpers you select the
COM port and IRQ to use, but even so it will still appear to be a PnP device.
Any settings assigned to it, however, will be ignored in favor of the jumpered
settings'

Later.

--
/=================================\/====================\
|       *-- Karl J. Ots --*       ||  Remove the words  |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie Sound Help
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:07:20 GMT

I am having problems with my Soundblaster Vibra 16X.  Now, the card is
complaining that there are no available dma's that card.  The card is an ISA
card.  I am now wondering of I may have better luck with a PCI Bus Sound Card.

I installed WIndows NT, 95, and 98; and got similar results.  So, will a pci
sound card work better.  I no idea on computer buses, dma, or irq's.
Linux Man!@!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JJTGough)
Subject: Re: config intel 740
Date: 24 Jan 1999 21:02:55 GMT

Excuse-moi de ne pas bien parler francais,
Il te faut un 'driver' speciale pour cette carte parce-que ce n'est pas
supporter par Xfree86. C'east gratuit et on peut le trouver sur le www:
 chez Linux ou chez intel je crois.
Il faut aussi un 'driver list' pour 'xconfig' qui a le nouveau driver. Ce
'driver list' ce trouve au meme endroit que le 'driver'.

Moi, j'ai du modifier la vielle 'driver list' par main avec l'information pour
le nouveau 'driver' que j'ai copier du nouveau liste parce que xconfig n'a pas
accepter le nouveau liste que j'ai 'downloaded'.

bonne chance

je crois que le 'driver' correcte s'appelle XGF

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben)
Subject: Modem volume
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:04:49 +1030

While I am able to dial-up in Linux with no hassles, I am unable to turn
off the dialing tone (no volume control on my modem). Redhat 5.2 lists my
modem init string as ATZ, and the dialing commnad as ATDT. The modem
manual lists the volume string as M0. However, knowing this has not
enabled me to turn it off. Could someone please help me with sending the
string to the modem.

Much appreciated

------------------------------

From: Tom Fawcett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive recommendation for IDE system.
Date: 26 Jan 1999 08:32:09 -0500

Lev Tarasoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  What is the best (ie reasonably cheap, good quality, and low error
> rate) tape backup for an IDE system?I'm running RH linux 4.1 and I
> need to back up about 2 gig (full backup). I'm considering the seagate
> TR3 IDE unit.  Is this good?

A comment in ide-tape.c says:
 * Testing was done with a 2 GB CONNER CTMA 4000 IDE ATAPI Streaming Tape Drive.

I'd recommend getting that or something very close.  I have a Sony
Superstation IDE ATAPI drive that doesn't (yet) work with the driver.

Regards,
-Tom

------------------------------

From: "Tom Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV tuner cards
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:52:40 -0800

I have the same setup - Hauppauge card, bttv, xawtv.
I get occasional crashes - X will just hang.  Anyone else experience this?
It happened _a lot_ more often in Windows, but I was wondering if it was a
function of the card, or drivers, or ... what.

Also, how do you load the bttv modules without having to do a make ins every
time you reboot?

Thanks,
Tom
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...