Linux-Hardware Digest #273, Volume #11           Fri, 17 Sep 99 01:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? ("G.T.")
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Which AT Motherboard (David Cooley)
  Banshee Woes... (Beer Knurd)
  Which AT Motherboard (Simon)
  Re: Dawn of the Dead (Minimal Linux) (Carl Fink)
  Re: insmod fails with "unresolved symbol" messages (Vladimir Florinski)
  ATI Rage Pro ABP (Josh Gentry)
  Caldera Linux 2.3 Install (Paul Peek)
  Re: Dawn of the Dead (Minimal Linux) (Mike Sabin)
  Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat (Carl Fink)
  Re: Bttv drivers won' work again & again :( (Ron Venema)
  does linux support this network card? ("Blacka")
  Re: TNT2 X Server for RH 6.0 (Sjoerd)
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? (Ilya)
  Re: Linux newbie installation problem (Luckydaze1)
  Re: How do I add & configure new hardware????? (Vladimir Florinski)
  Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: xf86config (Oooo)
  Re: big problems with network card - please help! ("Turbo1010")
  Re: does linux support this network card? (Mircea)

From: "G.T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:12:56 -0700

Matt O'Toole wrote in message <7rs5qu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Thomas Muders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Compared to Gnome, KDE is incredibly slow. I don't know why. Good
>examples:
>> check out how long kfm needs to display a directory with many files
>
>This is true.

Sorry, I don't see that.  I use kfm under KDE and WindowMaker and when I
display a directory with 2400 jpegs in it, it's lightning fast (or are you
talking more files?).  I gave up on Gnome/Enlightenment cuz they're so slow.
Flirted with Xfce but it was too boring.

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:18:53 GMT

[Crossposting diminished somewhat...]
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:57:35 -0400, William Firkser
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You might want to look into more ram. Linux needs at least 32mb to run
>at a reasonable speed - 64mb would make a big difference.

*Linux* requires about 8MB of RAM to run at reasonable speed.

The problem here is that there are a bunch of applications running
atop it that are "RAM-hungry:"

--> Depending on resolution/bitplane counts, XFree86 probably would
    like to have 10MB or so of memory;

--> GNOME's libraries probably eat a few megs;

--> Enlightenment is a *ferociously* memory hungry program, and may be
    readily configured to chew up 32MB of RAM all by its lonesome.

Note that in running these three things, you've chewed up *all* the
RAM available on the system, and this ignores the consideration that
there might be a desire to actually run applications that might
themselves need a bit of memory.

Replacing Enlightenment by a window manager that is "somewhat less
enlightened" would be an *enormous* help; WindowMaker tends to be
tagged as the favorite of many, and the second favorite of many more.

And GNOME is probably a bit too RAM hungry for a 24MB system.  If
running Red Hat Linux, it would be wise to look at the web site
<http://rpmfind.net/> for Netscape Navigator Version 3, as that
version is considerably "less larded" than the newer versions, and
particularly the huge and bloated "Netscape Communicator."
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #39. "All naive, busty tavern wenches in my
realm will be replaced with surly, world-weary waitresses who will

------------------------------

From: David Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which AT Motherboard
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:16:25 -0400

Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a pentium 233mmx machine which I wish to upgrade (cheaply).
>
> What motherboards are recommended by people using them as reliable and
> linux friendly, preferably suitable for a celeron 400 or a real low end
> PIII ?
>
> Of course it has to be an AT motherboard to save me buying a new case.

If you want an AT format motherboard, I don't think you'll be getting
P-II or P-III... I believe all of those are now ATX.
Your best bet, and the best bang for the buck is a super socket 7 and an
AMD K6-3 (Up to 450MHz) or the new AMD K7 "athalon".  It is available up
to 650 MHZ and all the AMD chips blow away similarly clocked Pentium
chips.

------------------------------

From: Beer Knurd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Banshee Woes...
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:31:20 GMT

Many woes about the Banshee still.  I had it working.  5.2 no problem with
XFree86 etc...  I just upgraded to 6.0.  Nice.  Got the new banshee server
too.  Installed.  Was working.  Now it doesn't.  Tried to reinstall the
server.  Says already installed.  Now I try to uninstall.  Says they are
not installed.  This is confusing.  What do I do now?  These are the
3.3.3.5 files.  SO, any help would be...  very helpful.  Sorry for the
redundancy.

the Knurd

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon)
Subject: Which AT Motherboard
Date: 17 Sep 1999 01:58:23 GMT

Hi,

I have a pentium 233mmx machine which I wish to upgrade (cheaply).

What motherboards are recommended by people using them as reliable and
linux friendly, preferably suitable for a celeron 400 or a real low end
PIII ?

Of course it has to be an AT motherboard to save me buying a new case.

TIA

SD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dawn of the Dead (Minimal Linux)
Date: 17 Sep 1999 00:40:02 GMT

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:24:37 GMT [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Enough preamble.  I've now got on my desk a
>doorstop laptop--a very sturdy little Zeos
>386SX/16MHz with 4Mb RAM, 20Mb HD, 1.44Mb FD, no
>CD.  What's the best Linux for a minimal setup
>like: bash, emacs, ppp, telnet and mail of some
>sort? (We can forget about X Windows or a browser
>with this tiny little guy.)

You are far better off using DOS on this sucker.  Linux really won't
work on a machine with that tiny a hard disk drive.  I've never used
Minix, but if you're set on a 'nix OS that might be something to look
at.

The Linux Router Project has a Linux-on-a-floppy distribution, but
that's all I really know about it.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: insmod fails with "unresolved symbol" messages
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:58:04 -0700

John Tourtellott wrote:

> I'm trying to install the driver for a new Ethernet Card. It compiles
> OK, but when I try to install the module, the insmod command returns a
> stream of "unresolved symbol" messages. There are 29 such unresolved
> symbols in all, including
>   securebits
>   eth_type_trans
>   request_region
>   pcbios_read_config_byte
>   _kfree_skb
>   kmalloc
>   release_region
>   free_irq
>   jiffies
>   printk
>   add_timer
> Since they sure look like they should come from the kerner, I checked
> ksyms, however, none of them appear in the list.
>
> I haven't been able to find anything about this in the HOWTO's. Is there
> anything I can do besides compiling the driver into the kernel? As a
> beginner, I was hoping to avoid stuff like that for my first install.

This is odd. My kernel, also 2.2.5, contains all these symbols. But I compiled
it myself. Try recompiling your kernel and then your module.
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage Pro ABP
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:23:02 +1700

Folks,

Anyone know if this video card is Linux compatible?

Josh

From: Paul Peek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Caldera Linux 2.3 Install
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:29:56 GMT

==============469E373DED9347F866E51C9B

Have just purchased 2.3 from Caldera and started the install.  During
the install I find that this release does NOT recognize my SCSI
controller.  I am using an Adaptec AHA2940U2W.  This is quite standard
and is recognized by Red Hat 6.0, which I also installed just to see if
it would work.

Am impressed by the reviews of the Caldera product and am wondering if
anyone has had this experience or knows of an available source for a
driver.  Trying to communicate with Caldera is impossible.  Acutally, it
is quite impossible - their server is down at the moment.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Paul

--
FLW, Inc. - 3505 Cadillac - Bldg E, Costa Mesa, CA. 92626
(714) 751-7512   Fax: (714) 761-0213  http://www.flw.com

==============469E373DED9347F866E51C9B

the install.&nbsp; During the install I find that this release does NOT
recognize my SCSI controller.&nbsp; I am using an Adaptec AHA2940U2W.&nbsp;
This is quite standard and is recognized by Red Hat 6.0, which I also installed
product and am wondering if anyone has had this experience or knows of
an available source for a driver.&nbsp; Trying to communicate with Caldera
is impossible.&nbsp; Acutally, it is quite impossible - their server is
face="Arial,Helvetica"></font>
HREF="http://www.flw.com">http://www.flw.com</A>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Sabin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 17 Sep 1999 02:34:00 GMT

Personally, I'd try Debian.  Floppy install is
nice for old systems, and base install is quite
small.  I'm not sure it would fit in 20MB,
though.  Linux Weekly News at www.lwn.net
has a fairly comprehensive list of distributions
on their "distributions" page, see if you can
find anything that works well.  Trinux?
Peanut Linux?

By the way, don't give up on having a browser
for these small boxes.  I absolutely LOVE
Lynx.  It's so fast, even on a slow connection.
It doesn't take up much disk space or RAM.  I
do a lot of my browsing with it even on a
modern machine.  You can pitch it by saying
"Jeez, do you want eye-candy, or information
fast..."

Adios,
Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat
Date: 17 Sep 1999 02:11:15 GMT

On 16 Sep 1999 23:40:19 GMT Mark P. Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

VA Research contributes to the Debian Project, so presumably they
sell systems with Debian Linux.  They may not be standard, but if you
ask I recall they'll use any distro you want.

From: Ron Venema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bttv drivers won' work again & again :(
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:17:08 -0700

"R.K.Aa" wrote:

> Ron Venema wrote:
> [snipped]
> > [root@localhost driver]# xawtv
> > This is xawtv-2.40, running on Linux/i686 (2.2.5-15)
> > DGA: version mismatch -- disabled
> > wmhooks: kde
> > x11: 1280x1024, 32 bit/pixel, 0 byte/scanline, VidMode
> > open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> > can't open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> > v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> > open /dev/video: No such file or directory
> > no video grabber device available
> > [root@localhost driver]#
> >
> > What bothers me is that it looking for video in /dev which there is none.
> > Should there be a link to some other device?
>
> in the bttv directory there's most likely a sub-dir called drivers.
> (where you unpacked it (or it can be found in the sourcefiles dir)
> What you're looking for is a script called MAKEDEV
>
> run that (cd to the dir where it is, if you don't find it at first try a
> "locate MAKEDEV") - then write ./MAKEDEV
>
> That should create all possible kinds of v4l related device types.
> Then try loading the bttv module again and see if it didn't help.
>
> K.
>
> --
> Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
> http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/Linux_and_tv.html#ttf
>              To E-mail, delete "spam"

Hi all, well I made some  progress last night, I discovered that I needed to
run the MAKEDEV that came with the bttv drivers and checked /dev and found all
the relevant drivers. I then ran the update program and this is the result:

[root@localhost driver]# ./update
insmod videodev
insmod i2c verbose=1 scan=1 i2c_debug=0
insmod tuner debug=0 type=2
insmod bttv radio=0 card=15
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/bttv.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
[root@localhost driver]#

As you can see it says bttv.o is busy?  When I run rmmod bttv.o it says that
it is not loaded, and when I run insmod bttv.o I get the busy message. Any
ideas of what is wrong?

And just for kicks this is the xawtv output:

This is xawtv-2.40, running on Linux/i686 (2.2.5-15)
DGA: version mismatch -- disabled
wmhooks: kde
x11: 1280x1024, 32 bit/pixel, 0 byte/scanline, VidMode
open /dev/video: No such device
can't open /dev/video: No such device
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
open /dev/video: No such device
no video grabber device available
[root@localhost driver]#

Again thanks for any help or ideas.

RV

From: "Blacka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: does linux support this network card?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:36:20 -0700

Does linux support the SMC ultrachip combo 10baseT network card (8216C)? I
got an old computer with one in it and i was wondering if i need to put a
new network card in before I install linix, as  i am going to do the install
via NFS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sjoerd)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: TNT2 X Server for RH 6.0
Date: 16 Sep 1999 20:01:59 GMT

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:07:38 -0500, Michael Imberman wrote:
>I am in the process of installing RedHat 6.0 and have Xentor32 TNT2
>card. I see there is now support for the TNT2 chipset in the xfree86
>package ver 3.3.5. However, I am rather confused as to which file
>corresponds to the TNT2 supported X server:
> X3DL.tgz        3Dlabs server
>          X8514.tgz       8514/A server
>          XAGX.tgz        AGX server
>          XI128.tgz       I128 server
>          XMa32.tgz       Mach 32 server
>          XMa64.tgz       Mach 64 server
>          XMa8.tgz        Mach 8 server
>          XMono.tgz       Mono server
>          XP9K.tgz        P9000 server
>          XS3.tgz         S3 server
>          XS3V.tgz        old S3 ViRGE server (please use SVGA server)
>          XSVGA.tgz       SVGA server
>          XVG16.tgz       16 colour VGA server (XF86Setup needs this
>server)
>          XW32.tgz        ET4000/W32, ET6000 server
>Perhaps, I am looking at the wrong place
>(ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.5/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/Servers/).
>Please advise as to which is the proper x server from above or guide me
>to the right location.

Just take the XSVGA server. After I upgraded X to 3.3.5 I still had to use
the replacement XSVGA server from www.nvidia.com to get my Viper 770 (riva
TNT2 chipset) to work...

Sjoerd

------------------------------

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:50:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Grant Edwards <grant@nowhere.> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, William Firkser wrote:
>>David,
>>
>>You might want to look into more ram. Linux needs at least 32mb to run
>>at a reasonable speed

> Nonsense.  It depends entirely on what you run.

> My main machine at work is a P166 24M Linux machine.  It's
> quite comfortable though I wouldn't try to run Star Office,
> Applix, Gnome, or KDE.  But, it works great with fvwm2 as a
> window manager.

That's my point exactly. Try fvwm. You might like it. Or even twm or mwm. In
terms of appearance, it is the same thing minus the virtual part. twm might
be even simpler.

>> - 64mb would make a big difference.

Yes, it would. In a perfect world....

                                www.e-gold.com
E-gold: Unlike unredeemable Federal Reserve Tokens, e-gold is money that is
100% backed by a metal of your choice: gold, silver, platinum or palladium.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luckydaze1)
Subject: Re: Linux newbie installation problem
Date: 17 Sep 1999 04:09:32 GMT

>Ok, I just bought a Pentium 90 with the intent of installing linux on it. I
>am trying to learn linux on this box. It doesnt have a cd rom however, but
>it has a network card. I was planning installing it via NFS, using my other
>machine which has a cdrom drive. Problem :The network card won't

>load in DOS
>(it's running a slim version of DOS 6.22).
>
>My question is : Since DOS won't load the driver, when I try installing
>Linux via NFS, will linux recognise the Network card and start the
>installation or will it fail?? The network card works fine, its just that

>the driver won't load in DOS.
>
>Thanks Much
>Orrin Jolly

Can't really answer your question but if you have the room on your HDD, copy
the Linux CD to the HDD and install from there.

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I add & configure new hardware?????
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:01:53 -0700

Ziggy Stardust wrote:

> Thanks for the help, but the problem isn't solved - yet. I tried to do so, but
> when I use the "make"-command, bash tells me that the "gcc"-command doesn't
> exist. In which RPM is it located?

Gcc is part of the gcc package. You may also need egcs. Install from the CD.
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:41:00 -0700

On 16 Sep 1999, Mark P. Nelson wrote:

> Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

www.indybox.com offers hardware (only tyan mobos if I recall correctly)
with a choice of distributions. A colleague just received a machine with
debian installed.
                        Gerald

From: Oooo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: xf86config
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:35:41 +0800

u is good i only display to 320x 240
so i dont know to set
my display card is G400
Mon. is viewsonic 14es

------------------------------

From: "Turbo1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: big problems with network card - please help!
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:43:54 -0700

I always have to add an append = "ether=10,0x300,eth0" to get it to
recognize mine.  That the irq, base address and device.
news:VVaE3.2053$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does linux support this network card?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:15:56 -0400

Blacka wrote:

> Does linux support the SMC ultrachip combo 10baseT network card (8216C)? I
> got an old computer with one in it and i was wondering if i need to put a
> new network card in before I install linix, as  i am going to do the install
> via NFS.

Yes it does. See the Ethernet-HOWTO.

MST