Linux-Hardware Digest #277, Volume #9            Wed, 27 Jan 99 00:13:40 EST

Contents:
  Re: HOW TO TRANSFER XENIX DISK TO LINUX? (Hugh McCurdy)
  Re: TV tuner cards (David Fox)
  New modem question. (Dae)
  Re: lp and linux 2.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PCI Sound card problems (dusk)
  Re: New modem question. (Rob Clark)
  Re: Winmodem support? (David Fox)
  Re: linux max RAM is 1GB? (Carlos Wexler)
  Re: Winmodem support? (David Fox)
  Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great! (Carlos Wexler)
  Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do? (Miguel Cruz)
  AOPEN AW180 ESS Solo1 sound card and linux 2.2final (Richy Kim)
  Any experience with drivers for Matrox G200? (James P. Bennett)
  3D Labs Permedia-2 AGP (Krzysztof WOZNIAK)
  Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great! (Tim Rowley)
  How can i recognize a winmodem that still new in the box ? (Dupre)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Matthias Warkus)
  Is my Diamond Supra Express 56i V Pro PCI modem Linux compatible? ("Paul Gee")
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Winmodem support? (Rob Clark)

From: Hugh McCurdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW TO TRANSFER XENIX DISK TO LINUX?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:56:52 +0000

damatex wrote:

> I have a terrible problem!
> I have 8 customers I wish to switch to LINUX but...
> I can't find a way to transfer data from a SCO XENIX disk
> to a LINUX disk.
>
> SCO XENIX is version 2.3.4   Linux RedHat 5.1
> The 'mount' command (logged in as root):
>
> # mount -t sysv /dev/hdc4 /xenix
>
> I have tried the following solutions without luck:
>
> - I have installed the XENIX drive as a slave:  mount says:
>
>    Unable to read Xenix/SystemV/Coherent superblock.
>
> - I have created, on a new drive, a Xenix partition and then
>   a Linux partition:  mount says:  same message.
>
> If hardware does not work, then why not try the good old way: tapes.
>
> - I have copied the data onto a Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive
>   from the Xenix drive, transferred the tape drive AND its cable
>   onto the Linux machine:  Linux cannot read the tape:  'tar' doesnot
>   recognize the tape as a 'tar archive' (which I'm sure it is).
>   Yes, when I 'tar' from Linux on the tape drive, it works.
>
> - I have tried 'cpio':  from floppy drive (Xenix) to floppy drive (Linux)
>   it works.   But from the tape drive:  no luck.
>
> There is no way to connect computers through network since Xenix
> is NOT a network version of Unix (I believe?!).
> Does anyone know of a way to transfer data (~500+ Megs) from
> a Xenix disk to a Linux disk?  I mean ANY method.
> If not, I'm dead meat 'cause I promised my customers there would be
> no hassle to do so!!!!!!

The problem with mounting the Xenix partition is due to the way that
SCO subdivided the partition.  I understand that there is a solution
but I don't know what it is.

I do have one sure fire solution.  But it is a lot of work.  So I have
also listed many ideas that I have that might be easier but might not
work.

Disclaimer: I believe 2.3.4 was a 386 Xenix version #.  My comments
are based on that belief.  (However, serial I/O should work for 286
Xenix)

1. Compile GNU tar and GNU gzip for SCO 386 Xenix.  If you don't have
a Xenix compiler, e-mail me.  I compiled those programs a few years ago
and still have the binaries.  I renamed the tar program gtar to avoid
a name conflict.  Put the binaries in /usr/bin

Now you can backup to floppy.  I said this was a lot of work.

The simple approach
# gtar  cvMLf  1440  /dev/fd0135ds18  <path>

If you can put two hard disks in the computer, then put a bootable
Xenix on the first and the drive you want to backup on the 2nd.
The bootable Xenix will need a lot of free space (enough to hold
a zipped backup of the 2nd disk).

mount the 2nd drive.
# cd  <path>
# gtar  cvzf  /tmp/bigfile.tgz  .
(That's ....tgz<space>period )

# gtar  cvMLf  1440  /dev/fd0135ds18  /tmp/bigfile.tgz

Hopefully this will get you down to 250MB to backup instead of 500MB.

But, as I said, this is a lot of work.  I have some other ideas.

2. Serial I/O transfer.  You will need a file transfer program
on both ends.  UUCP is one candidate but might that's a lot of
setup work just for a one time (or eight time) task.
Kermit is another candidate.

Note, the programs don't have to match.  The protocals have to
match.  You should be able to use a Kermit for Xenix and Mini-Term
for Linux as long as they both use the same protocals.

There are many other file transfer programs, but these are all I
can think of at the moment.

3. Use the GNU Tar program compiled for Xenix to write to the tape.
I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might be easier
than the above methods.

4. Use iBCS in Linux.  This should let you run the Xenix tar program
in Linux.  See if "xtar" can read the tape.

5. Try 3 or 4 using a different program, such a cpio.

6. Make the zip backup to /tmp/bigfile.tgz as described in #1.
Then use the Colorado backup program to write that file to tape.
Then use the DOS version of the Colorado program to copy to a
DOS hard disk.

It's easy enough to copy bigfile.tgz from DOS to Linux.
(Trivial, I'd say).

Anyway, if you want the Xenix binaries I made for GNU tar and gzip,
send me e-mail.
--
Hugh McCurdy

------------------------------

Subject: Re: TV tuner cards
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 26 Jan 1999 19:30:55 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Enns) writes:

> I used Linux 2.0.34.  I have become overwhelmed by the
> apparent effort that I will require in order to set
> up my Hauppauge card in Linux.  I do not see any
> 'complete and easy' documentation for how to set it
> up.  Is it possible that there is an RPM out there
> with compiled binaries that I can just load up?

I have attempted to create this in the bttv RPM available
from rhcn.redhat.com.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Dae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New modem question.
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:19:00 -0500

Ok people,

I need a suggestion for a external 56k modem that will work on Linux,
Mac, and Wintel boxes.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Anyone using a 56k modem sold for Wintel box on there Mac, or a Mac
modem on a Wintel/Linux box?

TIA- Dae/MD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: lp and linux 2.2
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:15:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake) wrote:
> Nazeeh Amin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >hi..  When i upgraded to kernel 2.2... printing broke.. in 2.0.36 it
> >was /dev/lp1 now lp0,lp1,lp2 show no such device. i compiled the
> >parrallel port support and the printer support as modules. What could
> >the problem be? please let me know by email as i can't access the
> >news very easily :)
>
> Check the boot messages in /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/dmesg
>
> My parallel port printer moved from lp1 to lp0
> when I changed to the 2.2 kernels.
>
> It ended up, all I needed to do was change
> one character in /etc/printcap and restart
> lpd.
>
> It also sounds like you might need to insmod the
> modules for the parport and printer drivers first.
>
> --
> Dave Blake
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I need to compile parport (parallel printing support) and parport_pc (PC
hardware) into the kernel.  If I compile these as modules, printing fails.  I
think the module dependencies are incorrect because lp does not cause
parport_pc to be loaded - only parport is loaded.  Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (dusk)
Subject: PCI Sound card problems
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:13:26 +1030

I'm currently running RH5.2 with an Aztech PCI sound card and Adaptec
AIC-7850 scsi controller. I can't get the sound driver to install
properly. On booting I get the message
/lib/modules/preferred/misc/sb.o: init_module
: Device or resource busy
sound: Device or resource busy

There doesn't seem to be any problems with the scsi card (cd-rom works
fine)

Any ideas?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: New modem question.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:08:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dae  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need a suggestion for a external 56k modem that will work on Linux,
>Mac, and Wintel boxes.

As you probably know, most external modems are completely independent of
the OS, and the main issue is cables.

An example of such a "multi-talented" modem is the Zoom dual-mode external
called:

  2949 (with Windows software)
  2945 (with Mac software)
  2948 (for PC & Mac)

All the same modem-- the software makes the model number.  Also, no serial
cable provided.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Winmodem support?
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 26 Jan 1999 19:33:48 -0800

Mark Ramos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Rob Clark wrote:
>
> > 1. Almost all 56K PCI modems are Winmodems
>
> You obviously have no data to back this up do you?  There are plenty
> of modems out there that are not winmodems.

He said "PCI" modems.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 03:31:07 GMT

In article <78lt32$k99$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stephen Costaras  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I haven't really looked into this (I'm only at 768MB on the systems I have
>here). But as I understand the problem it is to do with the 32bit processors
>in the intel line.  They can only address 4GB of memory max, that being 4GB
>of RAM, or a combination of swap & RAM that equals 4GB.
>
>Assuming the above is correct (Any kernel people here want to comment on this?)
>You might be able to get the memory you want when running Linux on an Alpha
>or Ultra Sparc processor.

For some reason that I don't remember I believe that the 32 bits, although
theoretically capable of addressing 4GB, can only really address 2GB.  But
shouldn't this be actually 2G"words" (32 or 64 bits wide?)

Carlos

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 26 Jan 1999 19:35:15 -0800

Stephen Jenuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Rob Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martijn Coenen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>I am about to buy a 56k6 PCI modem which is very cheap, so I conclude it
> :>must be a WinModem....It has a Rockwell Flex chipset. To me it is very
> :>important that I can get it to work under Linux, cause I almost stopped
> :>using Windows completely. Does anyone have experiences with modems with
> :>this chipset and/or winmodems under Linux? I've heard they are very
> :>often difficult or sometimes even can't be configured....Thanks for any
> :>response!
>
> : 1. Almost all 56K PCI modems are Winmodems
>
> : 2. No Winmodem works with Linux.  Winmodems only work in MS Windows.
>
> I purchased this surprisingly cheap 56K modem (zoltrix) and it
> turns out not to be a winmodem. It comes in pci and isa varieties.
> It even does various voice things.
>
> Very reliable considering they cost less then $90 Cdn. I have 3 of
> them.
>
> It uses a rockwell chipset.

Are you claiming that these winmodems work under Linux?  Do you
have a PCI version of this modem that cost $90 CDN and works
under Linux?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great!
Date: 27 Jan 1999 03:28:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Fox <d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u> wrote:
>There are a few lcd monitors that don't do the
>digital->analog->digital conversion, but only a few because this
>requires customization of the video card, and in fact none of these
>units are yet usable under Linux.  The digital->analog->digital units
>are more popular because they are pretty much guaranteed to work
>wherever a CRT monitor would work.  Unfortunately, the quality is
>nowhere near the promise of the technology -- I ordered an IBM sixteen
>inch monitor and sent it back.  It was smeary and jumpy - maybe even
>defective.

I wonder... most laptop displays avoid the analog link completely, don't
they?  (one-pixel vertical lines are sharp -- this is the best
indication!)  And there are many many chipsets doing this and most of them
are supported by xfree or one of its commercial alternatives.  Of course
the monitor and video card have to be matched but this seems hardly a
problem for most users, or is it?  I don't really know, they are still too
expensive for my pocket... :-(

Carlos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do?
Date: 26 Jan 1999 20:28:00 GMT

Rachel  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi - What does the command     who | sort+4    do?

It doesn't do anything unless you put a space between sort and the plus
sign. Then it sorts the output of the 'who' command (which lists all the
people signed on to the system), ordered by the 4th column, which on my who
is the remote location the user is signed on from.

miguel

------------------------------

From: Richy Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AOPEN AW180 ESS Solo1 sound card and linux 2.2final
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:13:51 -0500

Hi does anyone know if linux 2.2
kernel supports AOPEN AW180 ESS Solo1 sound card...

thanx!

------------------------------

Subject: Any experience with drivers for Matrox G200?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James P. Bennett)
Date: 26 Jan 1999 15:41:40 -0500

Video card benchmarks at http://www.goof.com/xbench/ seem to have gone
away.  I'm about to "inherit" a Matrox G200 card.  Has anyone
experience with the "default"  XF86_SVGA server, the XSuse-Server or
the Xi Accelerated X Server with this card?

jim bennett
Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs, Syracuse University
       Syracuse, NY 13244
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages/faculty/jbennett/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Krzysztof WOZNIAK)
Subject: 3D Labs Permedia-2 AGP
Date: 27 Jan 1999 00:39:42 GMT

Hi everybody,

My box: Intel P2-300A , A-Bit BH6 and  3D Labs Permedia 2 AGP

The video card is not listed as RH5.2 supported, nor as non-supported.

Before I destroy my working box, a fundamental question:
Has anybody managed to get this card working and if so, tell
me about the experience, please.

Mr Krzysztof Wozniak        ,-_|\      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Edith Cowan University     /     \      Phone: 61-8-9273 8026
Churchlands WA, 6018       $_,-._/        Fax: 61-8-9273 8000
Australia                       o

------------------------------

From: Tim Rowley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 26 Jan 1999 22:43:50 -0500

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:
> I'm waiting for support for that huge SGI panel with the #9 card...

It is supported by the XFree86-3.3.3.1 I128 server and modelines
from <URL:http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/I1284.html>.

-tor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dupre)
Subject: How can i recognize a winmodem that still new in the box ?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:05:02 GMT

Planning on buying a new (no win)modem ?

How can i now i'm not buying a pile of crap == winmodem ?
or is there a list of modems 56k wich are compatible with linux ?

thx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:26:38 +0100

It was the Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:03:02 -0600...
..and Todd Ostermeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Tony Eamick wrote:
>
> : You might try Suse 3.2 . It comes out of Germany and would definately have a
> : German language version . It is also a fine pkg with drivers for up to date
> : video
> : cards.
>
> Or perhaps SuSE 5.3?  (3.2?  I thought the first SuSE was 4.2).
> Everything else still holds, however.  German based distro, uses rpms for
> package management (uses yast as the tool to do so, or you can use the
> standard rpm cli), etc.  SuSE 6.0 should be out Real Soon Now (I've not
> heard anything lately, but my guess is that as soon as 2.2.0 is stable,
> SuSE 6.0 will be released, using the 2.2 kernel).

SuSE 6.0 is already out. It still ships with 2.0.36, but it is 2.2.0 ready.

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:49:14 +0100

It was the Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:56:49 -0500...
..and Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Jari Aalto+mail.emacs" wrote:
>
> > Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >   ... I use two spaces after sentence-ending punctuation.
> >
> > Which is some odd relict that somebody still seems to believe is needed...
> > jari
>
> It isn't so completely unneeded. In many variable-width fonts, the space is
> just too small. The result of an extra-small space isn't too bad on a screen,
> but put a big block of text on paper and my eyes get tired pretty quick - the
> extra space seems to help break things up a little.

Do they use different fonts in the Anglo-Saxon world? In German and AFAIK in
French, the space after the full stop is just as narrow as all the others.

mawa

From: "Paul Gee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is my Diamond Supra Express 56i V Pro PCI modem Linux compatible?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:34:26 -0000

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if my Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro PCI modem is
Linux compatible?

If so, how do I get it to be recognised correctly? Whenever kppp tries ot
startit always says the modem is busy.

Any help would be appreeciated - preferably via email

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:52:15 +0100

It was the 23 Jan 1999 00:34:48 -0800...
..and Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Every language has its niceties.  And its peculiarities.  Anybody
> who's ever read an old German text (from back when they printed in
> script) can only be thankful for modern fonts!

Actually, I think it's a big loss to German culture that we don't use the
Textur and Fraktur families anymore (it's not exactly "script"). It were the
Nazis who killed them, as well as the old German "Sütterlin" longhand.

Luckily, TeX knows how to typeset very pretty and typologically correct
Textur and Fraktur.

mawa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:33:06 GMT