Linux-Hardware Digest #277, Volume #11           Fri, 17 Sep 99 18:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Maxtor Dimond Max Corrupt problem (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: help with OEM internal IDE zip drive? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Easy Modem Question (David C.)
  Re: Imation Superdisk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: XFree86 and Matrox G200 (integrated) (Carsten Cimander)
  Modem died after a crash (Ramin Sina)
  Re: overclocked system? (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IBM-DJNA-37220 and Kernel?? (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: Modem died after a crash (Troy Carter)
  Hauppauge TV-card sound crash (Berco van Gool)
  Re: Help Choosing a new CPU (Ray McLaughlin)
  Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop? ("G.T.")
  newbe setup Epson 640 + overclocking TNT2 (Odessit)
  [Search] Driver for a serial card : FASTCOM ESCC-P (include a Siemens  (Patrick
Deiber)
  Re: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken (Michael Meissner)
  Re: How do I add & configure new hardware????? (David C.)
  fdformat problem - ioctl FDFMTTRK error (Kenneth Bandes)
  TNT2 and TV tuners (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ra=FAl?= del Pino)

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor Dimond Max Corrupt problem
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:46:35 +0200

Hi

I use the following on my system:
- DOS 6.22 / Win3.1 (to support father's questions ... ;-) )
- Win98
- LinuX (SuSE 6.1) Kernel 2.2.5

My harddisk:
Maxtor 13.6 GB ("formatted 12.6 GB") 7200rpm UDMA 66
My Motherboard:
Tyan Titan Turbo (S1572) ATX with intel TX-Chipset

- The BIOS itself does not recognize the disk correctly: it assumes the disk to be
  a size of 8 GB.
- Recommended Settings printed on maxtor-haddisk label:
  Cyls: 1655, Sectors: 255, Heads: 63
  that calculates to 1655*255*63*512Byte = 12.6 GB (1GB = 1024^3 Bytes)
  (manufactors like to calculate: 1 GB = 1000^3 Byte)

Tyan recommends to set the Ddisksize to AUTO. Although BIOS further claimes
that the HD is 8 GB, the system nearly comes along with it:
-  DOS 6.22 / Win3.1  could not see beyond 8 GB
-  Win98 recognizes the whole disk
- Linux recognizes the whole disk

How to use fdisk if you want to get rid of EZ-Disk informaions in the partition table?
- boot to linux (or from linux Boot-Disk or Linux-Live CD)
- use linux's fdisk (!)
# fdisk /dev/hda
then type 'm' to see the help menu (possible commands)
type 'd' to delete a partition and '1' to delete partition number 1 (i.e. /dev/hda1
here)
type 'd' '2' to delete your second partition (i.e. /dev/hda2)
type 'd' '6' to delete your 1st logocal drive (i.e. /dev/hda6)
type 'd' '5' to delete your extended partition (i.e. /dev/hda5)

type 'w' to write the partition table to your disk.
IMPORTANT:
to really clear the contents of the boot-sector and make it available for DOS you
have to zero-out the boot-sector (FAT-sectors):
clear the master-boot-record:
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/hda

Now start with fdisk again:
# fdisk /dev/hda
create a new partition: (partition 1 as primary partition)
'c' '1' 'p'
and size 1010 MB:
Cyl '1' to '+1010M'
Set the file-type of your partition to VFAT:
't' '6'
and so on...
write the partition table and exit:
'w'

IMPORTANT:
clear the (V)FAT table of the partitions. Otherwise DOS/WinNT/95/98 cannot format it!!!
clear 1st partion's FAT
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/hda1  <- DON'T forget the '1' at the end!

Hope that helps.
Reagards
Carsten
--

    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: help with OEM internal IDE zip drive?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:05:52 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I tried editing the parameters for /dev/hdd1 to match those of the
> floppy...but that didn't work. I just want to be able to read and write to
> ext2 and msdos/vfat zip disks and mount & unmount them easily. I read the
> mini-HOWTO, but it really doesn't cover the IDE drive. I know this is just a
> matter of not knowing how to edit the fstab and an incomplete understanding of
> Linux/Unix filesystems.  If someone can help me, I'll write it up and submit
> it to the LDP for inclusion in the zip drive mini -Howto.

Zip drives have traditionally (for some mysterious reason) come preformatted on
partition 4. That means you are very likely to need to use hdd4 rather than hdd1
to mount a pre-formatted disk.

To be able to use *both* ext2 and dosfat formatted disks, you'll need two
separate entries in your fstab. I make it a point to use partition 1 iff I
reformat a disk to ext2, and leave the others formatted on partition 4 so the
lines from my fstab look like this:

/dev/hdd1               /zip-1                  ext2    noauto,user,rw  0 0
/dev/hdd4               /zip-4                  vfat    noauto,user,rw  0 0

So I

    mount /zip-1

if I'm using an ext2 disk, and I

    mount /zip-4

if I'm using a dosfat disk.

Use whatever mountpoints you please, such as /mnt/ext2zip and /mnt/doszip, or
whatever, and create the necessary directories. Notice also that I told it hdd4
was a vfat, so I can use the bogo long file names on it.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Easy Modem Question
Date: 17 Sep 1999 12:48:51 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:

> Sort of correct.  56k protocols require very clean lines.  So clean that
> it is impossible without one or both ends of the connection being
> all-digital.  More specifically, any side that tries to transmit with
> V.90 (or KFlex or X2) must be digitally attached to the phone network.

Just to correct myself a bit here.  Any side that tries to transmit with
the high-speed protocols of V.90 (or KFlex or X2) must be digitally
attached to the phone network.  An analog-attached end can transmit at
the lower speeds (which max out at 33.6Kbps).

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Imation Superdisk
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:21:32 GMT

How did you go about getting the ls-120 to work fine under linux.  I'm
a newbie to Linux and I don't know what to type to get access to my
Imation IDE ls-120 (in Redhat 6.0).

Thanks for any help.

Brad Ray

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86 and Matrox G200 (integrated)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:41:18 +0200

Hi Lee,

look on SuSE's support-database:
http://www.suse.de

With SuSE 6.2 (Kernel 2.2.7 / 2.2.10) the driver for the G200 is shipped.
So there should be a tar-file to patch your system.

Hope that helps

Regards,
Carsten

--
    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Modem died after a crash
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:35:19 -0400

Hi all, I had a crash a few days ago and since then I can not get
connected. Now when I start wudial, it tells me that /dev/ttyS3 (which
has always been my modem device) is busy. If I start the ezppp in the
debug mode, it tells me there is no dial tone.  The modem start to do
something, but it will not make the dialing  sound. When I pick up the
phone, there IS a dial tone. Considering that the phone line goes from
jack to modem amns modem to phone, I am not sure that my modem is really
dead. But I don't know anything about hardware. Does this sound like a
hardware problem or could it be a software problem? If the latter, how
can I fix it?

Many thanks,
Ramin Sina

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: overclocked system?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:13:11 +0200

I have a celeron 400A cpu and overclocked it to 450 MHz by setting the
bus-frequency 74,5 MHz. Keep in mind that a celeron uses a bus-freq. of
66MHz

If you overclock it too much and have not the correct multiplicator
(bus-freq. / CPU-freq.) you might damage your (PCI-) Cards.
On the other hand the CPU might get too hot if you put the bus-freq. to 100
MHz
(will the be devided by 3 to (PCI-)bus freq.) as the internal multiplicator
of
the celeron will result in 300 MHz -> 450 MHz

As LinuX works "nearer" to the hardware (think of the
performance-optimizations resulting of choosing "your" CPU-Type /
architecture if you compile a neew kernel)
the CPU might be under more pressure than under WinXX. This only "runs" and
is not optimized for a specific x86 CPU. Only because of the CPU's own speed

Windows run's faster with a newer CPU. But Windows does not explicitly use
performance features. Thanks compability!

Regards
Carsten

--
    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:07:20 GMT

Hello, the college here has a VA server running Debian, VA is probably
one of the more expensive hardware suppliers, BUT, from what I was
told, they give excellent service and support for their systems.
Hope this helps,  I could probably get you contacted with someone here
at the college if you wish.
gnu_user              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909162038400.28208-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM-DJNA-37220 and Kernel??
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:25:54 +0200

- Be sure you have no disk-utility installed  (e.g. EZ-drive)
- Try to set the disksize/type of your IBM harddisk to AUTO in your BIOS.

what does
# ls /proc/ide/ide0
show?
Do you see 'hda1' directory?
If so type
# cat /proc/ide/ide0/hda1/model
# cat /proc/ide/ide0/hda1/geometry

and compare it to the values printed on your hadddisk label.

Regards
Carsten

--
    .--.
   |o_o |        Have Fun(ds)!
   |:_/ |
  //   \ \       Carsten Cimander
 (|     | )      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

------------------------------

From: Troy Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Modem died after a crash
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:12:06 -0400

locate and remove the lockfile for this modem (look in /var/lock...)

Ramin Sina wrote:

> Hi all, I had a crash a few days ago and since then I can not get
> connected. Now when I start wudial, it tells me that /dev/ttyS3 (which
> has always been my modem device) is busy. If I start the ezppp in the
> debug mode, it tells me there is no dial tone.  The modem start to do
> something, but it will not make the dialing  sound. When I pick up the
> phone, there IS a dial tone. Considering that the phone line goes from
> jack to modem amns modem to phone, I am not sure that my modem is really
> dead. But I don't know anything about hardware. Does this sound like a
> hardware problem or could it be a software problem? If the latter, how
> can I fix it?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ramin Sina

Troy Carter
228A Marshall Av.      (609) 430-9158 (H)
Princeton, NJ 08540    (609) 243-2941 (O) (PPPL)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.princeton.edu/~tcarter

From: Berco van Gool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hauppauge TV-card sound crash
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:02:22 +0200

Hello

I have a hauppauge TV-card it works good, but the sound crashes a random
times (interval 1 min to  30 min) this is very irritating.

I hope someone can help me.

System
Redhat Linux 6.0 with KDE 1.1

Greetings   Berco van Gool

------------------------------

From: Ray McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Choosing a new CPU
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:25:33 -0500

Darwayne Willock wrote:

> Darwayne Willock wrote:
>
> > My mistake the board has just entered full production, I am currently
> > testing the board where I work and let me tell you an "Athalon" 600Mhz
> > runs like a dream come true.  I will try and get a copy of the instruction
> > manual to you via e-mail.  The board is auto-sensing just plug your stuff
> > in and play.  Also, the chipset is very picky about the type of RAM it
> > will use.  Fortunately, AMD has a list of supported RAM manufactures at
> > there site.  Other than that everything works flawlessly fast.

A copy of that for me to please! Are you saying that this is an SMP
Athlon mobo, or did the two things just happen get mentioned in the
sentence?

------------------------------

From: "G.T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: REQ: The fastest Window Manager for a slow Laptop?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:22:29 -0700

Eduard Bloch wrote in message ...
>Am Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:12:56 -0700 schrieb/wrote/a écrit
>G.T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc:
>
>>Sorry, I don't see that.  I use kfm under KDE and WindowMaker and when I
>>display a directory with 2400 jpegs in it, it's lightning fast (or are you
>
>I don't know you understand as "fast". I just tried this with 2200 files
>(usenet spool). gmc takes about 12 seconds, kfm about 1 minute to
>display the whole directory (on K6-2-400) - you see the difference.

I'm talking 6-8 seconds on my PII-400 with 128MB, KDE 1.1.1.  gmc was about
12-14 seconds.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Odessit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbe setup Epson 640 + overclocking TNT2
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:45:55 GMT

Hi all, just got a copy of RH 6.0, but I have 2 questions, in setup
there was no option for Epson 640. Where can I get drivers for this
printer? there was an option for Epson 800 can I use that drv instead?
and can I overclock Viper 770 TNT2? Under my WinCrap98 partion I use
TNTCLK or MaxClk software to overclock, is there is anything resembling
this software in linux? Or maybe there are some way (like regestry
settings under Win) to do it?
Thank you.

--
Vladimir Doisan (AKA ODESSIT)
Odessity Vseh Stran Obedenyaites

From: Patrick Deiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Search] Driver for a serial card : FASTCOM ESCC-P (include a Siemens
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:06:26 +0200

I would know if someone find (or written) a device driver for a
synchronous RS 422 Card based on a SIEMENS 82532 communication
controller.
The card that I mean is a Fastcom ESCC-P (PCI Card) who is selled by
Commtech (http://www.commtech-fastcom.com/esccp.html).

Thanks,

Patrick

Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.deiber/

Subject: Re: printer, was: Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Sep 1999 16:25:17 -0400

Kerstin Hoef-Emden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Have you fiddled with the BIOS settings for the parallel port (normal, ECP,
> > etc.)?
>
> No, I just checked out, that parallel port is enabled and IRQ is set (to 7).

The point is you should think about going into the BIOS, and cycling through
each of the modes and see if one works better (IIRC, it should be something
like normal, ECP, EPP, ECP+EPP).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: How do I add & configure new hardware?????
Date: 17 Sep 1999 16:32:35 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ziggy Stardust) writes:

> Thanks for the help, but the problem isn't solved - yet. I tried to do
> so, but when I use the "make"-command, bash tells me that the
> "gcc"-command doesn't exist. In which RPM is it located?

In my RedHat 6.0 distribution, it's part of the "egcs" package.  There
are several other packages that may also be useful, including:

        egcs
        egcs-c++
        glibc
        glibc-devel
        glibc-profile
        libc

If you have the printed manual from the RedHat distribution, consult the
listing of packages.  You may want to add other programming-related
packages as well.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Bandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fdformat problem - ioctl FDFMTTRK error
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:44:34 -0400

I'm having a problem formatting floppy disks on my Linux system.  When
I try to do
    fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
or variants thereof, e.g.
    fdformat /dev/fd0
(after using setfdprm to specify 1440/1440 format),
I get a message about an ioctl error FDFMTTRK.

I've searched books, howtos, newsgroups, everything I can find.  My
hardware is okay: if I boot from a DOS disk, I can format floppies
with no problem.  On the other hand, Linux recognizes the floppy
perfectly well, and I can read, write, and create file systems on
floppies.  The low-level format is the only problem.

I found a suggestive sentence in the Dos/Windows->Linux howto,
which seemed to imply that you can't format a disk that's already
been formatted.  Is this true?  It shouldn't be true, because
it can be useful to re-format a diskette that's been sitting around
a long time.  If it is true, is there a way to un-format a disk?
And if it isn't true, does anyone know what FDFMTTRK means?

Thanks,
Ken Bandes

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:15:56 +0200
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ra=FAl?= del Pino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TNT2 and TV tuners

Hi! Anybody knows if Riva TNT 2 video card and Lifetech Flyvideo TV
tuner work well together? I'm going to buy the former and I want to get
sure it is going to work OK before that, because I currently have a
Trident 3Dimage 975 AGP and they hate themselves! Everytime I try to
watch TV the system hangs. So, can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

Raúl del Pino