Linux-Hardware Digest #293, Volume #9            Thu, 28 Jan 99 21:13:33 EST

Contents:
  ethernet card setup problems ("Chris Smith")
  Logitech NewTouch Keyboard (Michael Meissner)
  Re: infrared driver (Michael Meissner)
  Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet (Michael Meissner)
  Re: PC Reset system ("Jörn Nettingsmeier")
  Re: Which SCSI Controller??? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: iMac vs PC (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95? ("TURBO1010")
  Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95? ("TURBO1010")
  Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10 (Moe)
  ethernet card (Rick Bauman)
  HELP!! Parallel tape drive setup question (Dennis Putnam)
  Re: pcmcia jaz card support? (doug)
  Re: Turtle Beach Montego A3D (Dell OEM) (Dave)
  AHA3940U and Linux 2.2.0 (Torsten Janke)
  Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86 ("Derek Lakin")
  Re: Linux with CL Banshee video card (Lyle Ainsworth)
  Which SCSI Controller??? (Todd)
  Documentation for 3c590 NIC (Verbitsky George)
  IntelliMouse problem with XFree86 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  HP 830c deskjet printer (Johnny Hutto)

From: "Chris Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: ethernet card setup problems
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:06:29 -0500

I am trying to get linux to load my ethernet card.  And at several places it
responds "eth0:  unkown device"
Also, I don't see a message about it loading when i type "dmesg"  I do have
the "eth0 eepro100" line in my conf.modules file.  Also the network
configuration menu in redhat reports the device as inactive.  Then i
activate it close the window and go back to it and it again says inactive.
Does anyone know what my problem is?

Thanks

please also reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Logitech NewTouch Keyboard
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:31:28 -0500

I just bought a Logitech NewTouch keyboard that includes a touchpad, and I
can't seem to get Xfree86 3.3.3.1 to recognize it.  I've tried "auto" and all
of the "...ps/2" protocols listed in the XF86Config man to no avail (upon
starting X, it keeps moving the cursor around and bringing up menus, which
indicates to me that X is misinterpreting the byte stream.  Is there an option
that supports the touchpad?  Right now, I'm using my trusty logitech ps/2 mouse
instead.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: infrared driver
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:24:48 -0500

Serje Beaudoin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> --------------E8AA7E32D308242F113AC09D
>
> HI all,
>
>     I try to find one infrared driver for linux> Someone know something
> about that ???

Linux 2.2.0 was just released, and it adds support for ir drivers.  It lists:

        http://www.cs.uit.no/~dagb/irda/

as the site for more information.  Note, before rev'ing up to 2.2.0, be sure to
read linux/Documentation/Changes for required utility updates.  If you don't
feel up to upgrading without hand holding, you probably should wait until your
favorite distribution (RedHat, Debian, S.U.S.E., etc.) comes out with 2.2.0
support.

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ conflict between Video and Ethernet
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:38:20 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) writes:

> Yes. This is the default on many boards, and it can't be changed. Your AGP
> card will always share an IRQ with the PCI slot next to it. The only
> workaround is , of course, leaving that PCI slot empty.

Linux 2.2.0 seems to share interrupts much better.  On my system, I've had one
of my scsi devices (TekRam 390U) sharing the interrupt with my Matrox
Millenium-II.  Note, though, rev'ing up to 2.2.0 right now is somewhat dicey if
you are used to just installing pre-packaged systems like RedHat.  It also
might depend on your cards, etc.  For example, on my SMP Dell at work, I
couldn't get my ethernet card (Netgear FA310TX) to work if it was in one slot,
and by moving it to another slot, and moving a different card in (probably one
of my scsi controllers), it worked fine.

From: "Jörn Nettingsmeier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PC Reset system
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:37:52 +0100

To me, this sounds like you´d wish to go for a watchdog card...
I remember having read about some vendor offering these, but I don´t
seem to be able to find it right now :( Maybe you could run a search?

These units will reboot your system in case of deadlocks even w/o
network access.
There is also a software-only solution that goes with some distros: a
demon checks if a certain file is rewritten every 60 secs or so, and if
not the system will reboot. But this is likely to fail if you´re crashed
real bad.

Good luck

Jo"rn

--
___________________
Jo"rn Nettingsmeier

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which SCSI Controller???
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:53:26 -0500

Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm going to be building my first Linux server (I've never used Linux
> before).
> I'm going to be starting my own web page.
> I'm thinking of getting a ultra wide or ultra2 controller (LVD?).
> Can someone recommend any SCSI controllers, with the Symbios?
> Or just general recommendations?
> Which hard drives will can take the beating, of being on a server?
> I believe Seagate to be good, but they cost the most.

I've had good luck with TekRam 390U (ultra-narrow) and TekRam 390F (ultra-wide)
controllers (I own 3 controllers spread over two systems).  Pricewatch is
quoting $74-82 for the 390F (note, the 390 without suffix uses an AMD chip, and
is not ultra), and $180-200 for the ultra2 controller.  Newer kernels are more
sensitive to termination issues, so you do want to use a proper active
termination on your scsi chain.  Note, the newest Baracuddas tend to run on the
hot side, so make sure you have adequate disk cooling if you use them (actually
this is true of any 7.2k or 10k disk).  Most of the storage sites say that IBM
disks run cooler and quieter than the equivalent competition (you only have
three major players, Seagate, Quantum, and IBM in the market, in terms of scsi
drives, Fujitsu and Western Digital are mostly also rans, and I don't remember
Maxtor even having scsi disks recently).

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iMac vs PC
Date: 28 Jan 1999 09:18:47 -0500

"steve krisjanovs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Gee, I guess every computer on earth is equipped with a CD burner eh? With
> that kind of rationalle, how the hell do you expect to port your work
> between the home and office without an internet connection (I know I
> know.

I tend to use a removable 4 gig scsi hard disk myself (zip drives are too
small, and in fact the 4 gig drive is getting too small).  The only time I use
the floppy is in initial installation, and making kernel boot floppies in case
of error.

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:09:39 -0800

Cost $70 bucks.

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:10:52 -0800

No, the SupraMax sucks.  We get complaints about SupraMax here at Earthlink
all the time.  Even the Diamond Home page says that this modem is the worst.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moe)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LINUX PPP on a SPARC10
Date: 28 Jan 1999 23:37:54 GMT

>[stuff snipped]
[still more snipped]

>Chat script that fails is:
>>  wait Password? 15
>[...]
>
>Most ISPs do NOT want you to do that if you're using PPP.  Instead,
>they want you to just dial in and start using PPP, since that's what
>Windoze does.  If you start chatting a user name at them, then they'll
>usually assume you don't speak PPP.

Maybe is my problem. (I posted a question titled "Strange chars <something>")

I'm trying to connect via PPP to the University of Wisc PPP server. The modem
connects and then I see garbage chars (in /var/log/messages that is).

What would I see if they're assuming I'm going to start using PPP right away?
And how do I login?

--
JGH

------------------------------

From: Rick Bauman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ethernet card
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:47:18 -0500

does anyone know where I can get drivers for a LFE-8139TX fast ethernet
adapter, I am running slackware 3.6

tia

--
Rick Bauman
Lowcountry Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dennis Putnam)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: HELP!! Parallel tape drive setup question
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:08:45 GMT

Howdo I find the right protocol and driver for a Conner QIC-80 tape
drive? I loaded 'paride' and tried the 'epat' protocol with both the
'pt' and 'pg' drivers but neither worked. Also, and this may be the
cruix of the problem, what 'mknod' parameters do I use for creating
the device file. Or at least where do I look to find out? TIA

------------------------------

From: doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pcmcia jaz card support?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:03:30 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a pcmcia to scsiII jaz card to use with my jaz drive, I am curious if
> anyone has gotten this to work in any way?  BTW, I have recompiled my kernel
> (2.2.0) with just about every option enabled and still no luck.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

 Steve,
 I have a Jaz off of my ThinkPad via a pcmcia card and it works well.
I pretty new to Linux. The Jaz was recognized from the start. I use
RH 5.2 . Doug

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:33:20 +0000
From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Montego A3D (Dell OEM)

I'm fairly sure I was using the 3Com b with Redhat 5.2 with no problems, I'll
have to check (I have about 5 network cards at the moment),

Dave

------------------------------

From: Torsten Janke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: AHA3940U and Linux 2.2.0
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:41:31 +0100

I have downloaded, compiled and installed the kernel version 2.2.0, but
when booting the machine hangs when detecting the scsi devices.

My machine configuration is a dual PentiumPro board with the Adaptec
AHA-3940U/UW scis adaptor and the following devices:
Channel A : Seagate ST43400N
Channel A: Seagate ST410800N
Channel B: HP354880A (DAT)
Channel B: Pioneer DR-U10X (CDROM)
Channel B: Iomega Jaz 1GB

The kernel detects the 3940 scsi adaptor but then the following happens:

scsi 2: 2 hosts
    Vendor: (first harddisk)
    Type: ....
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id1, lun 0
    Vendor: (second disk)
    Type: ...
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 9, scsi1, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

Then tha machine hangs. Interestingly there is no device at id 0 on the
scsi1.
Under kernel 2.0.36 everything works fine.
Maybe somebody can help?

Torsten

------------------------------

From: "Derek Lakin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:04:28 -0000

Look in /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or weherever you have the same file). It
probably has the command 'gpm -R -m /dev/mouse -t mman' (the mman at the end
is for MouseMan mice, yours should be something different, e.g. ms3).

This loads gpm when you login to give you mouse access outside of X Windows.
If you delete the -R it should work. It worked for me.

Derek.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <1999Jan28.102224.56595@ludens>...
>Hi!
>I have a problem with configuring my serial MS IntelliMouse with X under
Linux.
>I have Slackware 3.3 (2.0.30 kernel, XFree86 3.3). When configuring X
(XF86Setup, xf86config or directly editing XF86Config), I
>tried each possible setup, but the mouse cursor didn't want to move anyway.
>With XF86Setup (VGA16 server) I was able to use to mouse as IntelliMouse,
but just until I started the final X server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lyle Ainsworth)
Subject: Re: Linux with CL Banshee video card
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:37:14 -0600

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.hardware and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, %clears his throat,
leans in, and begins...
> Jean-Luc Duriez wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone out there managed to have RedHat Linux 5.2 (or another
> > distribution) work with a Creative Labs 3D Banshee (PCI) video card ?
> > I cannot find a correct setup to start X on my machine.
> > (of course this new card is not listed under Xconfigurator).
> >
> > Linux installed itself fine and runs Ok in text mode :-(
> >
> > Please reply to my email address [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Jean-Luc
>
>   Hello Jean-Luc,
> there's an alpha version of xfree that support Banshee video cards.
> You can found it at http://glide.xxedgexx.com/status.html .
> I'm trying to download it but the connection is very slow.
> Regards
>
> Stefano

I used this website's advice to get my creative 3D Blaster Banshee 16Mb
PCI card running.  It works well, but as he says, it does not support
24 bpp, but it does support all others.

http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

Hope this helps ;-}

Lyle Ainsworth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just relax and try to enjoy the crisis....

------------------------------

From: Verbitsky George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Documentation for 3c590 NIC
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:19:55 +0200

Hi ALL!
Some problem:
We decide move our workstation on the diskless boot. Its use 3c509 (ISA)
and 3c590 (PCI) netcards. I found project etherboot, but it has bootrom
only for 3c509 NIC. And i try create bootrom for 3c590. I try to use
linux's kernel driver, but ti hard to anderstanding.
If anybody have subscribtion of 3c590 registers and programming algoritms,
please send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Best regards!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johnny Hutto)
Subject: HP 830c deskjet printer
Date: 28 Jan 1999 17:44:54 PST

Anyone having luck with this printer with RedHAT 5.2?

Thanks

Johnny