Linux-Hardware Digest #293, Volume #13           Tue, 25 Jul 00 11:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 1GMHz+ PC with Linux to run EDA SW? (Lars Rzymianowicz)
  I've got more reading to do. [Change boot parameters LILO] (Alan Mackenzie)
  2 CDROMs? (Jon)
  cdrecord & Sony CRX140E (Bernie)
  Re: Trantor t-160 scsi and Linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  which motherboard is compatible with linux ("Sven Zaugg")
  IO Error Reading TAR Backup Tape (Glenn Catlin)
  scanner i/o error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Multiport ethernet adapter for Linux ("sp")
  Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux (Andry)
  alain (freez)
  Re: Detect a working hardware? (ivan bedini)
  HD problem!!! (ivan bedini)
  Re: HD problem!!! (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Eicon Diehl Diva ISDN PCM Card ("Michael Simon")
  Re: aureal driver in 2.4.0-test4? ("Michael V. Docenko")
  ADR Onstream ID-30 tape drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  4 independent analog joysticks? (Michael Klupsch)
  Re: Adding an Adaptec SCSI Card to Redhat 6.1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 2 CDROMs? ("Stephan Roder")

From: Lars Rzymianowicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.verilog
Subject: Re: 1GMHz+ PC with Linux to run EDA SW?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:19:38 +0200

neko wrote:
> I'm very skeptical that you can get a decent CAE tools under Linux
> within coming 3~5 years.

The situation for simulators looks pretty good. Synopsys VCS and
Mentor Modelsim both run on Linux. And also some of the other solutions
from smaller companies (i think, Finsim also supports Linux, e.g.).

But i also don't know design entry or synthesis tools for Linux.
Would like to see them!

As stated before, an Athlon system offers a nice perf/price. And
i guess, it can't be slower than our Ultra1 machines here ;-)

Lars
--
Address:  University of Mannheim; B6, 26; 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Tel:      +(49) 621 181-2716, Fax: -2713

------------------------------

From: Alan Mackenzie<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: I've got more reading to do. [Change boot parameters LILO]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:09:53 +0000

Ken Crofts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:54:31 +1000:

> THANKYOU!  I ran the above commands and my beloved Windows 95 is now
> back again.  It looks as though I'll need to do a lot more reading on
> LILO and Linux in general to understand the system.

A hint: Try "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman, published by
O'Reilly & Associates. (http://www.oreilly.com/). Somehow this book
manages to cover almost everything you need to get you up to speed,
without becoming superficial - there's solid content in it. The third
edition was recently pubished.  (I've got the first ed.)

Of course you'll already know about manual pages, but for those reading
this who didn't, you access them, for example, with

# man lilo

Then there are the HOWTOs, to be found in /usr/doc/howto (or similar),
best read with the program "less".

> On first appearance it certainly isn't user friendly, but I'm going to
> persevere some more and hopefully understand why so many people believe
> Linux is a Good OS.

Linux is _user_ friendly. That's not quite the same thing as being
_beginner_ friendly.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

------------------------------

From: Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 CDROMs?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:19:16 GMT

Hello all,

        Does anyone know why during the boot up process, DOS reports 2
CDROM drives when there is only one physical CDROM drive. I was removing

everything from my system and re-installing from ground zero and only
have DOS. I then installed the CDROM DOS driver so that I can access
Mandrake CDROM and that's when both CDROM drives showed up during DOS
bootup. It looks like one of them is "fake" since I cannot cd to it.
Thanks for your answers.

Jon

------------------------------

From: Bernie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: cdrecord & Sony CRX140E
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:10:56 GMT

Hi out there,

I have a problem with a CD-writer by Sony (CRX-140E)
I was issueing following command to start a multisession CD.
The aim was to burn a session at once (The sony writer is able to do
that) to get rid of the 2 second gaps and then add a data track after
the audio track (CD+).
Unfortunately 'crecord' stops writing after 3MBs... .
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong ?

       Thanks in advance,
            Bernhard

cdrecord -dummy -v -dao -multi dev=0,0,0 -audio -useinfo song*.wav

Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'SONY    '
Identifikation : 'CD-RW  CRX140E  '
Revision       : '1.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 4190208 = 4092 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: audio   7 MB (00:44.58) no preemp
Total size:       7 MB (00:44.58) = 3344 sectors
Lout start:       7 MB (00:46/44) = 3344 sectors
Current Secsize: -1

(...)

Sending CUE sheet...
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   3 of   7 MB written (fifo  98%).cdrecord: Eingabe-/Ausgabef
ite_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 06 59 00 00 0D 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 04 08 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x08 (logical unit not ready, long write in progr
0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.158s timeout 200s

write track data: error after 3822000 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:    8.468s
Fixating...
WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
cdrecord: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler. flush cache: scsi sendcmd: retryable
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 00 06 5C 12 00 00 00 00 0C 09 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 1628 (valid)
cmd finished after 38.845s timeout 200s
Trouble flushing the cache
Fixating time:   38.847s
cdrecord: fifo had 253 puts and 126 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 19 times full, min fill was 96%.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Trantor t-160 scsi and Linux.
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:27:02 -0400

             Message of Jul 23 12:38 pm
(sorry I couldn't quote you, but your message hasn't gotten to
 my news server yet, only as far as remarq.)

  The t-160 is connected to an internal Sony 2x cdrom.
It has a fuse and a diode already installed, but no jumper
to select termination power or not. The cdrom has old
style terminators installed, nothing to select powered or
not.
  The adaptor and drive have been working well from dos &
windows, using the drivers from Ez-scsi 4.
  I just tried a different irq, no difference. There isn't
a net card, just an isa cirrus logic video card.
  I also tried the pas16 driver. It wouldn't load, and
it stopped the boot sequence.
  Disabling disconnects might be possible. But I couldn't
find any kernel-line arguments to do this, and to re-compile
a kernel would need a working linux.

  I guess I'll have to try your last suggestion, and get a
different scsi card. I think I might be able to swap the
t-160 into a pc that has an aha-1510. It only runs windows
anyways. No one should care, but then no one really trusts
me with hardware, either.

  Thanks for trying.

------------------------------

From: "Sven Zaugg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which motherboard is compatible with linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:03:27 +0200

hello everybody

maybe once of you can solve my problem(s):
I don't know really what i should choose for a motherboard?
I wanna buy an AMD Athlon-Processor K7 700, but which
motherboard is compatible with this one and works under
windows, unix and linux?
and an other question: is the Athlon-Processor K7 700
good, is it working well or are there any problems?

thnx for answering
gizmob

------------------------------

From: Glenn Catlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IO Error Reading TAR Backup Tape
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:05:27 -0400

I am trying to use Linux to read a backup tape of TAR files.  When Linux
goes to read the tape, it gives me an 'Input-Output Error' message.  Any
suggestions what's wrong?  Thanks.

 - Glenn Catlin
   Philadelphia PA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: scanner i/o error
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:30:42 GMT

Hi there,

I have already installed SANE on my system to get my SCSI E3 Microtek
scanner (which is suppoted by SANE) which is on my SCSI chain.

I run the included find-scanner script and two devices are detected
instead of one:

scanner 1.70 at device /dev/sg1
scanner 1.70 at device /dev/sgb

Running xscanimage and clicking on I get a error:

Failed to start scanner:Error during device I/O

The scanner runs ok under W98.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From: "sp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiport ethernet adapter for Linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:48:12 +0200

Hi,

I'm looking for a mutliport ethernet adapter for linux (at least 2 ports,
but 4 would by perfect), but I can't find some so far.

Does anybody know such a product supported by linux (2.2.x or 2.4.x)

Thanks
sp

------------------------------

From: Andry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:19:40 +0300

phil ossifer wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2000 19:36:27 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) wrote:
>
>  > > Is there such a thing as a "winmotherboard, a
>  > > winchipset, a winbios", and if there is did I just buy one?
>  >
>  > Not that I know of.
>  >

>  > As for the BIOS and chipset, absolutely not.  How could you have one
>  > that requires an OS.  These parts must be active and working before the
>  > OS loads.  That's how your computer boots.
>  >

> Well, the motherboard comes with a bunch of (W9x/NT -only) utilities and
> drivers.  One of the drivers is for busmastering (if I recall correct.ly).   it
> was needed to get the best performanc out of the on-board hard drive controller.
> Others presumably access the "soft off" feature (where the system can be awoken
> by a modem ring, or at a specific time, etc.)   I guess there's  utilities to
> set various BIOS options.   As I said, VIA had a DOS version of the busmastering
> driver on its web site, but no mention of anything for Linux.    What I fear is
> the same kind of stonewalling on the information to write configuration
> utilities and drivers that the guys wanting to write Linux drivers for winmodems
> ran into.
>
>  > > Do I have a winharddrive, a wincdrom, a wimvideo board?
>  > Aside from modems, the only common "windows only" devices out there are
>  > printers.
>
> Well  if the manufacurers are mute about how to access their "acceleration"
> features, higher than standard VGA resolutions,  and other features of the card,
> and there are only W9x/NT drivers for the card, that effectively makes it a
> winvideocard, no?   No doubt Linux could use it as a dumb VGA card, but who the
> hell is going to be satisfied with unaccellerated 640x400 VGA?  (That is the
> situation I am now in with Win3.x on this system  unaccellerated VGA 640x400
> only.  Bleeach...)
>
> Thanks for the response
>
> Phil

Under linux you can control such things as bus-mastering with <hdparm>
Of course, some specific facilities of the chipset need to be supported
by kernel modules. Look /boot/module-info
Andry

------------------------------

From: freez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: alain
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 05:24:21 -0700

how to install printer lexmark z11 on red-hat 6.0?

From: ivan bedini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Detect a working hardware?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:58:37 +0200

Panny wrote:

> How can I tell a hardware is proper configured and working correctly?
> I have 2 network card but they don't seems response to me.
> Is there any way I can tell if a hardware/network card have been
> configured and loaded?
>
> Appreciate for any help.
>
> --
> Panny
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

try simply whith prompt: 'ifconfig eth0 or eth1'
or you can lookfor with prompt:'dmesg | more', if you find something
like 'net4...' and something about a network card, so you have only to
configure your card otherwise if you don't find anything maybe you have
to recompile your kernel to support your card:)
ivan

------------------------------

From: ivan bedini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HD problem!!!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:14:00 +0200

hi!
I installed some version (suse6.x, rh 6.2 and mandrake 7), and always
I've a problem.
after some boot where all was OK, my root partition is 'broken', -> when
boot time try to mount root partition, my computer dead!
or it's unable to find init parameter.
I tried with 2 HD:
a Western digital 10Gb
a removable 4G
thanks a lot
ivan

------------------------------

Subject: Re: HD problem!!!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:31:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (ivan bedini) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>hi!
>I installed some version (suse6.x, rh 6.2 and mandrake 7), and always
>I've a problem.
>after some boot where all was OK, my root partition is 'broken', -> when
>boot time try to mount root partition, my computer dead!
>or it's unable to find init parameter.
>I tried with 2 HD:
>a Western digital 10Gb
>a removable 4G
>thanks a lot

Are you using the "Hard Drive optimisations" from the Mandrake installer?
this _may_ cause the problem you are describing. Other than that, a
description of the errors you are getting on boot would help clarify what
the problem is.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael Simon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Eicon Diehl Diva ISDN PCM Card
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:44:58 +0200

Hello,

did anybody get this card working with Linux? There is no official driver
it.

Michael

------------------------------

From: "Michael V. Docenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aureal driver in 2.4.0-test4?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 15:20:03 +0300

In <8lj5bq$l64$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I have compiled 2.4.0-test4 with sound support (no specific card,
> however).  I have a Turtle Beach Montego II card, and have downloaded the
> drivers from linux.aureal.com (ver. 1.0.5) and attempted to compile as per
> the instructions (# make install20), but I get the following error
> message:

> vortex.c: In function `sound_proc_get_info':
> vortex.c:2267: structure has no member named `base_address'
> make[1]: *** [vortex.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/au88xx-1.0.5'
> make: *** [install10] Error 2

> Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

> --
> Drew Boyles
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi!
I have this problem too, and, perhaps, you don't install all necessary
components for C/C++ compiller. I install all components for glibc, which be
able to find in distributives ( ~30 Mbytes :-) ) and problem disappear.
Good luck!
Excuse me for my English -:(
--

  Best regards,
       Michael V. Docenko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ADR Onstream ID-30 tape drive
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:13:32 GMT

Hi,

I'm desperately looking for someone who got his Onstream DI-30 IDE
tape drive to work with any of the latest SuSE (6.3 or 6.4)
distributions.

Support for this (supposedly) nice piece of hardware is included in
the SuSE kernel.

I thought that I got everything to work, but 'tarring' an archive to a
tape, I cannot read my written tapes. When I start the restore,
everything seems to work fine, but after extracting some files from a
tape, I always get a tar-error message: 'tar: read error on /dev/ht0:
Input/Output error'. After I get this message 10 times, I get the
error: 'Tar: too many errors, quitting', and everything stops.

Who experienced this before?

Please, HELP!

=8-) dirk

------------------------------

From: Michael Klupsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 4 independent analog joysticks?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:32:40 +0200

Hi,

is it possible to connect 4 analog joysticks (2 axes, 2 buttons each)
to a standard PC (under Linux)? None of these joysticks must interfere
with the
other three. Can I have an extra game port using an I/O address other
than
0x201?

Cheers, Max.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adding an Adaptec SCSI Card to Redhat 6.1
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:43:46 GMT

I tried to to a tar -tvl on st0 thru st7 and on nst0 thru nst7 and I
did not get any activity out of the tape drive.  At boot time the SCSI
bios does see the tape drive attached to the Linux machine.

Is there anyway to tell if Linux knows for sure that a tape drive is
attached to the SCSI card?

From: "Stephan Roder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 CDROMs?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 14:30:08 GMT

Jon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Beitrag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hello all,
>
>         Does anyone know why during the boot up process, DOS reports 2
> CDROM drives when there is only one physical CDROM drive. I was removing
>
> everything from my system and re-installing from ground zero and only
> have DOS. I then installed the CDROM DOS driver so that I can access
> Mandrake CDROM and that's when both CDROM drives showed up during DOS
> bootup. It looks like one of them is "fake" since I cannot cd to it.
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

is it posible, that you use a Win95 OSR2 boot disk?
I think, that in this boot version is a native CD-ROM-Driver installed.
What happens, if you boot whithout your driver's?
Which version of DOS do you use for booting?
How looks your boot--files config.sys and autoexec.bat?

--
MfG
  Stephan Roder