Linux-Hardware Digest #311, Volume #9            Sat, 30 Jan 99 19:13:39 EST

Contents:
  Re: linux max RAM is 1GB? (Clifton Koch)
  Re: infrared driver (Christoph Bartelmus)
  Re: Newbie help with Linux, IBM PS/2 30-286 (Eoin)
  Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Only one channel on AHA3940AUW ("Eric Richter")
  test ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Compaq Deskpro 6200 SCSI problem (Emanuel Mashian)
  Re: PCMCIA died - help with diagnosis (David Hinds)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (John Brush)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (John Brush)
  Proposed System - Comments welcome! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI ZIP drive (N1ho)
  Re: good, cheap PCI serial card? (BL)
  Symptoms of Adaptec 2940UW Rev G w/PPro 200 (Kaynine)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) (Spencer Lu)
  How to increase EIDE disk I/O performance? (Peter Hecke)
  Re: Linux Sparc mp3 ("Carlos M. Fernández")
  Looking for IBM ThinkPad 760XL XF86Config (Karl Buck)
  Re: DMA (Norman Jordan)
  Winmodem under Linux/DOSemu (Thomas Hood)
  Re: AMD K6-2 Processors and Linux (Kevin Stanchfield)
  Re: newb Setuping up network (Joseph Malicki)
  Re: SB PCI 64 (Bob)
  How to configure a Diamond V2500?? ("j.j.c. zonneveld")
  cs4232 - a nasty pop - how to get rid off it? (Antoni Lapinski)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) (Chris Lee)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) ("¨g¤H")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifton Koch)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: linux max RAM is 1GB?
Date: 29 Jan 99 15:49:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler) writes:

>In article <78lt32$k99$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Stephen Costaras  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I haven't really looked into this (I'm only at 768MB on the systems I have
>>here). But as I understand the problem it is to do with the 32bit processors
>>in the intel line.  They can only address 4GB of memory max, that being 4GB
>>of RAM, or a combination of swap & RAM that equals 4GB.
>>
>>Assuming the above is correct (Any kernel people here want to comment on this?)
>>You might be able to get the memory you want when running Linux on an Alpha
>>or Ultra Sparc processor.
>>

>For some reason that I don't remember I believe that the 32 bits, although
>theoretically capable of addressing 4GB, can only really address 2GB.  But
>shouldn't this be actually 2G"words" (32 or 64 bits wide?)

  32 bits is able to address a total of 4G _bytes_.  The width of the external
bus or internal registers has nothing to do with the addressing size because
you still have to be able to address down to individual bytes.

Cliff
    Cliff Koch
    Motorola Cellular Infrastructure Division

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christoph Bartelmus)
Subject: Re: infrared driver
Date: 29 Jan 1999 15:49:00 +0200

Hi!

Ralph Metzler "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

RM> It has been vastly improved by Christoph Bartelmus:
RM>
RM> http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~columbus/lirc/

Actually many people have contributed to this package.

RM> who also now plans support for some IrDA devices (those which support
RM> CIR).

To be more precise I want to add support for everything related to IR
remote controls.

Christoph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eoin)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie help with Linux, IBM PS/2 30-286
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:24:57 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:45:48 -0500, "Charles Sullivan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If memory serves, the IBM PS/2 uses the microchannel bus, which is
>not supported by Linux.

Model 30s are not Microchannel.

--Eoin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG
Date: 29 Jan 1999 14:55:36 -0500

Jim Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I think the bigger problem is that places like GTE, and the like, do not
: want educated users on their systems. People who can install and run
: Linux are obviously educated and therefore persuaded to go somewhere
: else for service.

GTE is a half-baked ISP.  They are simply a reseller of other internet
services they bought from other companies.  Maybe things have changed
in the past 9 months when I unsubscribed, but I doubt it.

: I can understand some of their concern. They're afraid of Linux because
: of it's capabilities. Imagine if you will a spammer setting up his own
: Linux mail server on a high speed cable service. The spammer would be
: able to route all email in and out of his own server, bypassing the
: ISP's system. Because he's using his own server, nothing shows up in the
: ISP's mail logs so the ISP is clueless until somebody complains.

GTE sells access tokens to UUnet dialins for its customers.  Since
UUnet's dialins have been such a source of spam, most ISPs have
blacklisted them in the sendmail configuration.  If you try to send
email from your linux box, most if it will bounce back.  You have to
configure your sendmail to forward everything to GTE's mailservers
which is really ugly unreliable mess of Windows NT machines run by a
3rd party that GTE paid to handle their mail service for them.

It gets even worse.  All mail you send *MUST* have [EMAIL PROTECTED] in
the From: address.  Your [EMAIL PROTECTED] won't work at all.  You
have to resort to using the clumsy Reply-To: header instead.  If you
don't want people to have your GTE email address you have to use a
bogus GTE address to get past their email filter which is probably a
violation of the TOS.

If you want to receive email you will have to wait 30 seconds where
hopefully one of the WinNT machines will honor your request to
connect.  Then wait another 20 seconds for each email message to crawl
to your inbox because the mailserver is 12+ hops away in from your
dialin.  It's useless for listserves.  Even the GTE employees don't
trust their own mail service.  They use a seperate linux box.

Want usenet?  This is the about only service other than the billing
department they actually own.  GTE will throttle back drastically if
you download more than 20 articles in succession.  Apparently they
want you to read all your news articles online instead of offline,
assuming they haven't been automatically deleted by their spam
filters.  There are also many assorted posting filters as well.  I was
better off purchasing usenet access from a dedicated usenet provider

GTE internet is good for pulling stuff from the web, since it comes
straight off of the UUnet backbone and not from GTE's internal
network.  The UUnet's dialins always worked great, too bad they give
you a UUnet IP where you are blacklisted by everyone.  Now that there
is a 100 hour limit, even those who spend all their time surfing the
web get socked by their lousy policies.

From: "Eric Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Only one channel on AHA3940AUW
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:16:31 +0100

Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I had to put a CD drive on channel A to install RH 5.2
>because the installation program would not see channel B.
>
>Now Linux is installed I still have the problem of channel B
>not being recognized.

We had the same problem, with to controllers=4 channels and RedHat 5.1/2.
Recompiling kernel 2.0.3x didn't work, but Last week we used kernel 2.2.0
and the 4 channels now work perfectly (used in an heavily used cache
server).

So try to get 2.2.0 and compile the AIC7xxxx in it.

Eric Richter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.computer.consultants,alt.computer.drivers.wanted,alt.uu.comp,alt.uu.comp.os.linux,comp,comp.graphics.misc,nl.comp.hardware,nl.comp.os.linux,nl.comp.overig
Subject: test
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:28:21 -0800

This is a testing

------------------------------

From: Emanuel Mashian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Deskpro 6200 SCSI problem
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:29:57 -0800

I've been trying to install Redhat 5.2 on a Compaq Deskpro 6200,
but I'm having a lot of problems with the SCSI driver during the
installation. I did some research, and found out that the driver that
is being used (AM53C974) is fairly buggy. It appears that there is
an alternative driver: tmscsim (DC390).

My question is this: How can I use this driver during the install
process. I can find a lot of information about how to get it into the
kernel on an already working machine, but this doesn't help me
with the installation problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Emanuel Mashian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCMCIA died - help with diagnosis
Date: 29 Jan 1999 23:01:54 GMT

Nick Kew ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: On monday morning, I plugged the card in as usual, and accessed the
: network.  Later, without having connected, disconnected, or any such thing
: it was dead.  I suspect a hardware error either in the PC or in the card,
: but I've no way of testing for this.

If the card worked fine for months, and spontaneously stopped working
in mid connection, I'd say that it certainly sounds like a hardware
failure.  I assume you tried sticking it in your other socket and that
didn't help.  I'm not sure what else to suggest... you could try it in
a different laptop, or try a different card in your laptop, to see if
the problem is a fried card or a fried PCMCIA controller in your
laptop.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:47:31 -0500

**No, Jon, winmodems work fine with Windows 3.1+. I just upgraded a
**Compaq machine equipped with one, running Windows 3.1.

Do you need to install any software onto the W3.1, like a driver or
something?

Thanks,

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: 30 Jan 1999 21:46:38 GMT

whistler <blahblah> wrote:
> Software controlled modems have been around a while. Remember the Chameleon
> you had to have the drivers/initiating software in Autoexec.bat to use the
> modem, 19.2k and supposedly software upgradeable.

Let's not forget the Geopod.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:48:42 -0500

**>
**>I bought a Courier, because I thought it'd be more reliable than a
**>Sportster.  However, if someone just picks up and then hangs up a
**>phone (on the same line as the Courier) while I'm online, the Courier
**>ALWAYS drops the connection.  I thought it'd be able to deal with
**>line noise better than that.  I probably should have just bought the
**>less expensive Sportster.

**Maybe you should instead concentrate on educating your household on
**the benefits of NOT picking up the phone while you're using it,
**rather than blaming a manufacturer for YOUR problems?

Easier said than done. Most modems can survive such a manuever, so I
tend to wonder what is so different about his setup. Maybe its not the
courier, but the phone line itself. Either way, fixing the problem is
always the best way to go. Treating symptoms is a waste of time.

John

///////////////////////////////////
Government of The People
By Thy People, and
For The People
Has perished from this earth
Who is gonna tell Mr. Lincoln?
////////////////////////////////////

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Proposed System - Comments welcome!
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:18:34 GMT

Need to build a Linux (Red Hat 5.2) Web server and would appreciate any comments
or hardware recommendations. I would particularly like any comments on the
RAStel RA4002 - 4 modem PCI Adapter card and a recommendation on a very stable
PCI NIC.

Currently considering:

Intel PII 350 - 512k Cache (Retail Box)
Asus P2B MB 440BX chipset
ATI Xpert98 8mb AGP - Video
128mb PC100 SDRAM
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB Ultra-2 SCSI
Adaptec AHA2940-U2W
32x CD Rom
Floppy/MS/KB

RAStel RA4002 - 4 modem PCI Adapter card - *Any comments on this card?*
SMC or 3COM  10/100 PCI NIC ? - *Recommendations?*

TIA
Alex

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (N1ho)
Subject: Re: SCSI ZIP drive
Date: 29 Jan 1999 00:10:16 GMT

>> Why don't you try this:
>> cd /
>> mkdir zip
>> mount /dev/sda4 /zip
>> cd zip
>>ls

That assumes that the ZIP drive is at
SCSI ID0, which I don't recommend -
I prefer to have my hard drives start at
0, and set the other stuff (tape, CDROM,
ZIP) at higher ID's. So, on my system
it's /dev/sdc4. Note that the default filesystem
on the ZIP disks themselves are usually
MSDOS, so you may have to do:

mount -t msdos /dev/sdc4 /zip

instead. If that works for you, then  you should
consider adding an appropriate line to your
/etc/fstab file so that it will either automatically
mount whatever disk is in there at boot time, or
so that you can pop a disk in later and say:
mount /zip
and it will do the right thing quickly and easily.
In any case, if you build your own kernels,
there are no special things you need to do
to incorporate support for a SCSI ZIP disk
(unless it's the only SCSI device you have :-).
The kernel just treats it as another SCSI drive.

======
Spam (except for Hormel products) is forwarded on to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the
originating ISP for disposal by their legal teams. (AOL-internal spam to
TOSemail1)

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: good, cheap PCI serial card?
Date: 30 Jan 1999 22:07:25 GMT

I have a few extra Cyclades 8port serial cards that I am not currently using.
They are ISA (sorry - not PCI) but they work with linux very well (have been
since the VERY early days).

email me below (note antispam) if you can use an ISA card.

thanks,

Peter W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I could really use another one or two serial ports. It would cost me about $90
: to replace one of my ISA cards with a PCI version and buy a cheap "paddle card",
: but I'd prefer to leave that old ISA card in place (especially since the drivers
: are installed and configured) and buy a cheap PCI serial port card. Preferably
: one that would work in Win95 and OS/2 but that's not critical.

: Any suggestions?

: -Peter

: --
: Is Big Brother watching you? Intel is planning on it.
: As of January 28th, Intel still refuses to back down. Act now.
:  http://www.privacy.org/bigbrotherinside/

--
AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zero' chars to letter 'o' chars.
bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net/

------------------------------

From: Kaynine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Symptoms of Adaptec 2940UW Rev G w/PPro 200
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:08:00 -0800

We've been trying to install a new SCSI card and Hard Drive on a server.

The server is a Pentium Pro 200, with a previously installed 2940 (not
UW).  The Hard Drive is a 9 Gig Seagate Barracuda.

When the hardware is installed, and the operating system is booted (
Linux
2.0.35 ), the hard drive is detected.  We can then partition the hard
drive.  But when we try to create a file system on it, we get SCSI
Timeout
Errors, and the SCSI Bus becomes non-operational.

Replacing the 2940UW with another 2940UW ( exact same revision numbers
),
yeilds the same results.

Moving 2940UW and Hard drive to another PPro system causes the same
results.

Moving the 2940UW to a Pentium (166?) system, and we can create a file
system , and use the hard drive without problems.

So we replaced the 2940UW with an older 2940UW ( Revision B ), and put
it
back into the original server.  This time we are able to create a file
system, write to every block, read from every block, all without errors.

AnyOne Got Any Suggestions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Spencer Lu)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: 30 Jan 1999 01:14:29 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:38:10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush) wrote:

> **Courier ALWAYS drops the connection.  I thought it'd be able to deal
> **with line noise better than that.  I probably should have just
> **bought the less expensive Sportster.
>
> Have you tried setting the S10 register to something like 200. This is
> a timeout number during which the modem will maintain the connection
> in the event of noise like picking up the phone. I think its in
> milliseconds (don't kill me if I am wrong) and do not set it to 255 or
> the modem will not hang up.

I just tried setting S10=100, and it didn't help.  According to the
manual, S10 "sets the duration, in tenths of a second, that the Courier
waits after loss of carrier before hanging up."  I don't think that's
what I want.

--
Visit my Utah Saints web site: http://members.xoom.com/slu/Utah_Saints/

Spencer Lu
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <--- Use this address when replying

------------------------------

From: Peter Hecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to increase EIDE disk I/O performance?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:11:12 -0800

I am using the standard EIDE interface that is built into the
motherboard of my 486/PCI system.  When I run hdparm, it spits out:

 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 1416/16/63, sectors = 1360800, start = 66528

The disk is a 730Mb Quantum Lightning drive.  It supports PIO mode 3,
32bit I/O, and DMA transfers.  I am running Caldera OpenLinux 1.2.

How do I get Linux to take advantage of the drives performance
capability?  I am only getting 1.5 Mb/sec average throughput.

I tried running 'hdparm -c 3 /dev/hdb2'.  It did not work:

/dev/hdb2:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 3
 HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)

Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: "Carlos M. Fernández" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sparc mp3
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:11:51 -0500

Benjamin Dixon wrote:

> Quick question, does anyone know if a Sparcstation 4 is powerful enough to
> make quality mp3s from CD?

>From my experience, the processor speed is not an issue when ripping CDs to
create MP3s, unless you have to meet a deadline. As long as you have a CD-ROM
and enough harddisk space, you're set. Playing back MP3s is another problem;
on a Pentium/100, it can take up somewhere around 30% of CPU cycles for
128kb/s files.

--
Carlos M. Fernández, NP3IP.  -- remove .spamnot to reply
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.tripod.com/~drag_on/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:28:59 -0600
From: Karl Buck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for IBM ThinkPad 760XL XF86Config

All the web sites and HOWTOs don't seem to have this configuration
anywhere. Does someone out there have this file? Thanks. --Karl

------------------------------

From: Norman Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: DMA
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:35:42 GMT

Chris Leahy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently compiled and installed the 2.2.1 kernel.
> I get several messages from the kernel at boot that I cant find an
> answer for.
>
> ( excerpt )
>
> PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 78, VID=10b9,
> DID=5229
> PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA disabled
> ide0: PCI_IDE Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
> PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA disabled
> ide1: PCI_IDE Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
>
> I have an ASUS P5A-B motherboard with the Ali 1541 AGP chip and Ali 1543
> super I/O controller chip.
> I see that the kernel obviously does not support this chipset.
> The closest it comes in the configuration is under "other ide chipsets"
> with
> Ali 14xx
> I tried this but the kernel says
> Ali14xx not found.
> Not surprising since its the wrong chipset but I thought I'd try it
> anyway.
>
> The question is....
>
> Has anyone else found this problem and is there a soloution
> and does anyone know if support for this chipset will be in kernel
> releases in the near future?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Chris
> --
> Chris Leahy                         |       2151 Daniel St
> Real World Computer Services        |       Trail, B.C.
> 1-250-364-9965                      |       V1R 4H1
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |       Canada

I have had the same problem with the 2.2.0 kernel and my ASUS P5A
motherboard.  Aside from this message however, I haven't noticed any
problems running the new kernel.  I have recently had trouble installing
Solaris 7 however and I think that this because anytime Solaris tries to
write to the hard drive, it times out because it can't have DMA access to
the hard drive.  Have you noticed any other problems?

--
Norman Jordan -- Electrical Engineering Student
The Linux Resource Center

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodem under Linux/DOSemu
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:45:04 -0500

If a DOS driver is available for a "winmodem" is there any
chance that this can be run under Linux with DOSemu?

--
T. Hood

From: Kevin Stanchfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 Processors and Linux
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:24:46 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > K6-2 is a great CPU. Buy it. I 'm glad that only Windoze 95 has it's problems
> > with that fast processor :))
> >
> > Frank
> >
> Not to mention the difference of price :)
>
> Ray

I just put together a K6-2 400 box with a ASUS Super 7 100Mhz
motherboard (PC100 DRAM too).  This this is as fast if not faster then
the Dell PII 400 I use at my office.  And I know it doesn't mean
anything really, but BogoMips is over 800 on the AMD where the PII 400
reports just under 400, if you can believe that.

By the way, the AMD/Windoze9X issue is a bug with Windows, not the CPUs.

--
  ______________C_o_g_e_n_t__S_o_f_t_w_a_r_e,__I_n_c.___
  Kevin Stanchfield                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Joseph Malicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,osu.sys.linux
Subject: Re: newb Setuping up network
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:38:43 -0500

Chinchilla wrote:

> I'm trying to set up the network connection (RESNET) from my dorm on a red
> hat 5.2 system. I have the 'driver' for my net card and I want to know how
> to load/compile it (its in ' *.c ' now) so that linux will recognize the
> card. I have all the other info but I need that modulal to be installed. any
> help is greatly appriciated.
> thanks
> Ben [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Which card is it?  Most likely RedHat already comes with the driver.

Joseph Malicki

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB PCI 64
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:53:46 -0500

==============78788B8E644B3DD1048353F2

Olivier GUILLEMOT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install a Sound Blaster PCI64 but it doesn't seem to work.
> Does any body knows if there something special to do for it ??
>
> thanks for it.
>
> Olivier

alsa est mieux.

http://alsa.jcu.cz

==============78788B8E644B3DD1048353F2

Olivier GUILLEMOT wrote:
alsa est mieux.
">http://alsa.jcu.cz</a></html>

From: "j.j.c. zonneveld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to configure a Diamond V2500??
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:13:59 +0100

I'm having trouble with configuring my graphics card. It is listed in the
configurationlist in RedHat 5.2, but there aren't any numbers listed in de
configuration files.
It is using the Alliance ProMotion AT-24, 128-bit 170Mhz DAC.
The only manner I can run Xwindows is configuring my card as "generic VGA",
that result in a low color resolution of 8 bits in 640x480 or
800x600(scrolling). At higher levels I'm getting the "error 111".
When I install KDE, it seems that the system is running in a higher
resolution??

Thanx in advance..
John

From: Antoni Lapinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cs4232 - a nasty pop - how to get rid off it?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:53:37 +0100

I have cs4236 in my Thinkpad 770. The driver for cs4232 (kernel 2.2.1)
is compiled as a module. All works fine except a pop I hear every time
the module is loaded and also every time I start the playback. You can
see in ad1848.c, in  ad1848_open(int dev, int mode){
/*
 * Mute output until the playback really starts. This decreases clicking
(hope so).
 */
 ad_mute(devc);
}
However, ad_mute() does not do anything apart from reading some
registers and ad_umute() is just an empty stub. Is there any way to fix
it?
Thanks, Antoni

--
Antoni Lapinski
email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 30 Jan 1999 23:53:58 GMT

In article <36b385d4$1$qnivqjrv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In <78vhtg$dpc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/30/99
>   at 06:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) said:
>
>>And just is this higher connect rate? 46-49k for the Couriers vs. 45-48k
>>for  the average v.90 modem? At least these are the real-world  connect
>>rates  that I've seen most often posted for these modems.
>
>>Still want to claim that Couriers aren't over-hyped yuppie status symbols?
>
>Nope, it is not... My courier was purchased as a 33.6K Modem, upgraded to
X2
>and then V.90, all FREE... and all of THAT was done when the X2 and V.90 is
>out... factoring in the cost of upgrading to the latest modem technology
>right when it is out... My Couier have saved me about $300 or more...
>
>If you want to kept labeling other people as iditos and stuff, you
shouldn't
>be here at all.

Got news for you. The total price of the 3 modems that I bought over the
last 13 years (an Supra 2400,14.4 and 56k v.90) hasn't come anywhere near
$300.00...

Want to try again?

comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm
From: "¨g¤H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:59:42 GMT

In <79062m$ohc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/30/99
   at 11:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) said:

>Got news for you. The total price of the 3 modems that I bought over the
>last 13 years (an Supra 2400,14.4 and 56k v.90) hasn't come anywhere near
>$300.00...

Did you buy them the week it is first available on the market? I don't think
so... a X2 Sportster was costing around $250 when it was just released... a
V.34 modem was about the same price range when it was first released, and
V.90 upgrade from X2 would cost $80 or so...

The total would come to about $580... US Dollars... I paid $250 for my USR
Courier...

I guess you'd want to try again... Plus my courier have NEVER puked on any
connection, never had ANY problem whatsoever... and always give fast
connection with excellent stability...

That's one reason SysOps love USR Couriers...

--
===Team OS/2, Team OS/2 at Taiwan, ICE News Beta Tester. Bovine Team===
======Warped Key Crucher, And OS/2 ISP CD Project Member. TBA  #3======

     Owner of PC End User Web Site       http://www.pcenduser.com/

  ¥úºÐ¤ë¥Z OS/2 §Þ³N½s¿è Internet Pioneer CD-ROM Monthly, OS/2 Editor
      Java 1.1.4 - MR/2 ICE REG#:10510 - OS/2 T-Warp Connect 4.0
      ICQ# = 8943567 (Still Experimenting with ICQ for Java :) )