Linux-Hardware Digest #463, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Feb 99 11:13:31 EST

Contents:
  Re: Will 3Dfx voodoo2 work? (Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?=)
  Re: Cheap PCI SCSI? (Daniel Ganek)
  ISDN connection possible under LINUX? (Mark)
  old proprietary cdrom partially recognized? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem Mystery? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Serial port (mouse?) (Pasztor Szilard)
  Re: How do I update the lilo kernel image map on my boot floppy? ("Jeff Kowalczyk")
  X with STB Velocity 4400 on RH 5.1 (John McKee)
  Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ? ("W. Christopher Everhart")
  Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ? ("W. Christopher Everhart")
  NEC Scriptwriter 610 (Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager)
  Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux... ("adam.cheney")
  internal modem  on a Toshiba Laptop 540cdt (Martin Steffen)
  Can someone tell me how to get LILO to update my boot floppy's kernel map? ("Jeff
Kowalczyk")
  Re: External Modems (James Russell)
  Re: Sound Help! (DadKind)
  Sound on Dell OptiPlex GX1 (CS4236) (Richard Moxley)
  Re: How do I determine IO address (James Russell)
  Re: Sound Blaster PCI 64 (Jeremy Crabtree)

From: Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will 3Dfx voodoo2 work?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:40:50 +0100

take a look at this website: http://glide.xxedgexx.com

Michael

------------------------------

From: Daniel Ganek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap PCI SCSI?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:54:28 -0500

Dae wrote:

> Is there a Lowcost (hoping for around $50 USD) PCI SCSI card I can get
> that will allow me to hook up, CD-RW,ZIP, scanner, and possble and
> internal HD that will work with Linux (Red Hat 5.2) with little/so
> problems with setup?

I'm using an Adaptec 2920 with a very simialr setup - they are about $85
RH5.2 came up like a charm.

/dan

------------------------------

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN connection possible under LINUX?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:49:17 +0100

Is it possible to configure an ISDN modem under LINUX ?
(I've got an EICON DIVA T/A ISDN Modem and i really don't know howto use
it under LINUX)
Please help! :-(

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: old proprietary cdrom partially recognized?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:01:17 GMT

Hi, i just compiled the 2.2.1 kernel and noticed that it seemed to recognize
my old proprietary cd rom (which i previously had to use via dos cause i
couldn't get linux to recognize it).  but "seemed" is the eky word here, this
is what it told me upon bootup:

Kernel detected SCSI CDROM drive /dev/, checking for a disc:
mount: /dev/ is not a block device

now in NT the driver for this drive is a scsi driver so i guess it makes
sense for linux to see it as a scsi device but as you can see it detects a
cdrom at /dev/ not /dev/cdrom (or /dev/anything for htat matter) so does
anyone out there have any ideas as to what i might be able to do to get linux
to recognize my cdrom properly?

thank you,

                        -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho
Student Extraordinare & UN*X Guru Wannbe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Modem Mystery?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:17:29 GMT

Stephen Loewinsohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    I am using RedHat 5.2 and I have a 56k ISA PnP modem. I have
>disabled PnP in the computer's bios. I can talk to the modem and even
>get it to dial through minicom, but the response from the modem takes
>FOREVER. It takes about a minute and a half for the studid thing to
>respond to AT commands.

[...]

IRQ conflict.

Make sure that you disabled the onboard port that the internal modem
is occupying.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: Pasztor Szilard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial port (mouse?)
Date: 19 Feb 1999 13:29:50 GMT

Hi,

  I've got a huge problem with serial mice and nobody could tell me the
solution by far. :( It seems that the sampling rate is not big enough and
no matter how long i sucked with setserial, nothing happened. The gpm
cursor is choppy, so is the arrow under X, and so is the svgalib or X
driven Quake. So the problem is not in the applications, it is somewhere
deeper in the port handling i think. And I encountered this problem in all
distributions I used (Redhat 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, Suse 5.3, 6.0, Debian
2.0). With PS2 mice, this doesn't seem to show up. I know that serial mice
can only go at 1200 bps, but under that lousy DOS, it works perfectly so
they can do much better than I see in linux.

I can't believe this cannot be solved.. :(

             |   Windows NT: from the people who invented edlin.  |
  Jordan Rudess Rulez                       http://www.inf.bme.hu/~silicon

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Kowalczyk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I update the lilo kernel image map on my boot floppy?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:09:38 -0500

Thanks Tom, that command worked: lilo -v -C /etc/lilo.conf -r /mnt/floppy ,
can now choose the two kernels and a rescue boot.

However, my dumb self tried to get fancy, and put those append mem=20Mb
statements in the boot floppy's lilo.conf before I had ever checked them
out. I think they're causing problems with either kernel booting. My build
of 2.2.1 gets a GPF :0000 during partition check, and 2.0.36-0.7 hangs
during 'mounted as read only'

I don't have another machine (WinNT boxes here) that can read this floppy, I
just want to edit that lilo.conf or override it to not execute that append
mem command, and see what happens. If I type:

boot: image=/vmlinuz-2... root=/dev/hda6
or  boot: /vmlinuz-2... root=/dev/hda6

I get "no such image found, [tab] for a list."

Any ideas on how to override the append from the boot: prompt?

I have to create a separate rescue disk if I use the rescue boot, and I
think there's one on the RH5.2 CD.

lilo.conf reads:
boot=/dev/fd0
timeout=100
prompt
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.1
    label=linux
    append="mem=20M"
    root=/dev/hda6
image=/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
    label=linux-old
    append="mem=20M"
    root=/dev/hda6
image=/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
    label=rescue
    append="load_ramdisk=2 prompr_ramdisk=1"
    root=/dev/fd0

And my floppy drive has contents:

vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7        vmlinuz-2.2.1
/boot
    boot.0200    boot.b    map    message
                (what exactly is the map file?)
/dev
    fd0    hda6
/etc
    lilo.conf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKee)
Subject: X with STB Velocity 4400 on RH 5.1
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:48:54 GMT

I just installed RH 5.1 on a GW2K which has the STB Velocity 4400 video card with 16MB
of RAM.
I've tried configuring (Xcofigurator) about a dozen times, but always get an error
stating that
resolution couldn't be resolved.  It also shows on 64KB of RAM.  During the
Xconfigurator session,
when selecting the amount of video RAM, the largest size is 8MB, so that's what I've
been selecting.

I've been to the STB site (www.stb.com), but there's no mention of Linux there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I left DOS awhile ago, and have lost my appreciation
of the
command line interface.

TIA,

John McKee

From: "W. Christopher Everhart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:05:13 -0500

==============FF0D79AFC6B143A2BDE95B15

Colin Day wrote:

[snip]

> VFAT does support FAT32 partitions. Ever since 2.0.34.
>
> Colin Day        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cool!  Guess I should have read the notes a little more carefully when I upgraded
my kernel the last time.  Doesn't matter too much for me, though.  I have Win95
OSR1.  No Fat32.

==============FF0D79AFC6B143A2BDE95B15

begin:vcard
n:Everhart;W. Christopher
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-3136
fn:W. Christopher Everhart
end:vcard

From: "W. Christopher Everhart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:48:22 -0500

==============0AAA12F431CE876EEE109892

Tom Emerson wrote:

[snip]

> these partitions are on the same drive, just different formats.  Linux
> supports MANY file systems other than ext2fs -- FAT, FAT32, VFAT (?), and

VFAT is just MSDOS (FAT) with support for long filenames.  It's great for
sharing with a Win95 system that isn't using FAT32.

[snip]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager)
Subject: NEC Scriptwriter 610
Date: 18 Feb 1999 15:47:43 GMT

Just starting up a linux box.  First experience with linux and admin.

Looking to find if a NEC scriptwriter 610 is usable under rh5.2.
if so, what do I tell Linux that I have?

Thanks in advance.

--Jeremy

 Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager - musician, poet & future engineer
NC State University : Materials Engineering : NCSU Marching Band
"Jeremy!  Are you raising hell in the computer lab in the middle
       of the night again?!"  --Jennifer Ulichny

------------------------------

From: "adam.cheney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux...
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:22:59 +0000

Hi All,

I'm just about to start buying and building my new PC, and I've already
decided that it will be running Linux on a K6-2 at 350MHz.  I need a
shit-hot graphics card, and several people have recommended the
Viper550.  However, Diamond support have just told me that the Viper has
problems with VIA and ALI chipsets, because they don't cascade IRQ's
properly, and that they "can't be sure that it would be a problem in
Linux".

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the Viper550 under Linux with
a Super7 mainboard with those chipsets (All AMD's recommended mainboards
have either the ALI or the VIA chipsets)?
Can anyone recommend another mainboard?
Can anyone comment on my choice of graphics card and possibly recommend
another (RIVA TNT chipset)?

Thanks in andvance to any gurus who can help me.

Cheers - Adam...

------------------------------

From: Martin Steffen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: internal modem  on a Toshiba Laptop 540cdt
Date: 18 Feb 1999 16:32:32 +0100

Hi,

I have problems to get the internal modem on a Toshiba Laptop 540CDT
running. I tried minicom to see whether one can contact the modem at
all, but the

            at

command doesn't get a response. Even if I don't know about that
modem-business, this seems to be a bad sign.

As far as I can tell, there is no interrupt conflict (IRQ3 on /dev/ttyS1,
uart 16550A).

Has anybody happened to succeed getting 540CDT's internal modem running, or
can at least tell me how I can find out what type of modem it is (there's
some information on the Linux@Laptop homepage, stating that it might not
work at all for some types of internal modems, but I don't know which one I
got.)

Martin

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Kowalczyk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can someone tell me how to get LILO to update my boot floppy's kernel map?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:48:09 -0500

(Sorry for the reposts, this is the third day and I can't find the relevant
help in the HOWTO's)

I have a new kernel, but I have to use a boot disk at the moment, due to a
bios limitation on this 486. This is RH5.2, and I'm trying to get the boot
disk to load the 2.2.1 kernel I just built.

I have the 2.2.1 image copied over there, and I updated the lilo.conf on the
floppy's /etc dir, how do I run lilo to update the kernel map on the floppy,
not the hard drive??

In the floppy root, (/mnt/floppy) I have:

vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7        vmlinuz-2.2.1
/boot
    boot.0200    boot.b    map    message
                (what exactly is the map file?)
/dev
    fd0    hda6
/etc
    lilo.conf

lilo.conf reads:
boot=/dev/fd0
timeout=100
prompt
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.1
    label=linux
    append="mem=20M"
    root=/dev/hda6
image=/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
    label=linux-old
    append="mem=20M"
    root=/dev/hda6
image=/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
    label=rescue
    append="load_ramdisk=2 prompr_ramdisk=1"
    root=/dev/fd0

However, the only choices at boot time are linux and rescue, which means
myexperiments with the various lilo switches have been unsuccssful. Help?

------------------------------

From: James Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: External Modems
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:47:03 -0500

Linux Newbie wrote:

>         Is it safe to say that most external modems will work with
> Linux?  I'm getting a used Cardinal 28.8, will that work well in
> linux?
>
> --
> "Linux:  The best things in life are free"
Yeah.  Just gotta' know the AT command set for the cardinal.  I've used
cardinal PCMCIA before, so It should be close to the regular Hayes AT
Command set.

minicom is cool for testing you modem...
The kernel should pick up the serial port that the modem's on.
IE /dev/cua0 (com1), /dev/cua1 (com2), and so on...
look thru /var/log/dmesg if you need to know what serial ports the
kernel picked up.

atz     reset the modem
ath1    pickup the phone (you should here dial tone)
ath0    hangup the phone
atdt123-4567    (Dial the phone number using touch tone style dialing)

Hope that helps.
Jim
--
James Russell   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IT Engineer, Trinity Academy; Waterbury, CT; USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DadKind)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Sound Help!
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:41:33 GMT

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:17:55 -0600, kurzon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I had the exact same problem. You don't have your kernel sources
installed. You should also read through the Sound-HOWTO to make sure
that your card is supported. Assuming it is, you need to run glint and
install the kernel source. Then you should be able to

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

to begin modifying your kernel. Running 'make menuconfig' as opposed
to 'make config' allows you to select what you want to modify (in your
case the sound settings). Once you have added support for sound cards,
(you will be aske to supply IRQ, DMA, and I/O port settings), you
should be able compile and install your new kernel. At this point I
was ablt to reboot, startx, and use the x cd player to make music come
out of the speakers.

The redhat Sound utility still gives me the
"Error: There was an error running modprobe." message ven though sound
works fine. I've sent and e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but they
seem to be catching Microsoft-itis and have managed to ignore my
e-mails.

Hope this helps.

-tomas vera

>I run sndconfig and enter the settings. But then it says:
>Error: There was an error running modprobe.
>Is there really something wrong with modprobe?
>
>I have an ESS Technologies 2306 PnP 3D sound card. I'm using Redhat 2.1.
>
>I followed the HOWTO where i try to recompile the kernel but the command
>"make config" doesn't work. I don't even have the
>/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound directory. So, I try to isapnp and it wants
>a isapnp.conf file, which i don't have. I only have isapnp.gone.
>
>I just figured i could run sndconfig and enter the irq settings. But
>this modprobe error always pops up. I really don't know what else to
>do...
>

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tomas Vera

From: Richard Moxley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound on Dell OptiPlex GX1 (CS4236)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:13:33 GMT

Walter Harms wrote:

> i have install linux on optiplex systems: G1 GX1 an Gn the only
> problem was the build-in GFX RAGE-IIc that needed a bit reading
> XF86docs carefully.

I've also got a GX1.  Can you tell me what settings you
use for the integral Crystal CS4236 sound hardware?

When I run sndconfig, it correctly identifies the
CS4236, but the sample sound fails to play and none of
the settings I choose for manual configuration seem to
work.

What should use for IO port, IRQ, DMA1, DMA2, MPU I/O,
and MPU IRQ settings?

From: James Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I determine IO address
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:55:49 -0500

Hans Smith wrote:

> I have a network card that I cannot get detected when Linux boots.  I think
> it is because the interupt is 11 and is not auto-probed on boot-up so I will
> have to put the variables in the kernel.  I have got my IRQ, but how do I
> determine my IO address.
>
> Thanks
> Hans
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One thing to try is to check out the files in your /proc directory...
Use cat or something to view like
/proc/ioports
/proc/interrupts

This might tell you if the network card is even seen.  If you don't see
it's IRQ listed under the /proc/interrupts file, then try changing the
IO address of the card.

If it's a PNP card, you might have to turn off the PNP in BIOS or use
the manufacturer's utility to make it a software programmable (non-PNP)

Oh yeah, if you know the IRQ, usually the kernel/kernel module can pick
out the IO address automatically.  Sometimes it can't if it's some wild
io address.

Hope this helps...  I will not guarantee that the above is necessarily
the right way, best way, or even accurate.

Jim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI 64
Date: 19 Feb 1999 15:41:28 GMT

Johannes Rest allegedly wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Jeremy Crabtree schrieb:
>>
>> That isn't relevant, the PCI64 isn't back compatible with any SoundBlaster
>> card; regardless of what Creative Labs says. The PCI64  uses  the  Ensoniq
>> ES137X chipset, which is the same chipset used by the Ensoniq AudioPCI. So
>> to use it in Linux, you should be able to use the AudioPCI driver  in  the
>> 2.2.X kernel.
>>

>I must admit, the configuring of my sound card seems a little bit
>strange to me. I've been working on this problem only for a few
>hours, but so far I haven't succeeded. First question is: do I
>need the plug&play tools?

You know, I'm not sure about that. I'll email my friend who has an
actual AudioPCI and find out if he  had  to  use  the  PnP  tools.

>I've listed what /proc/pci contains:

[cat /proc/pci snipped]

It looks like the card is already assigned an IRQ, so you
might try using it as-is.

>lsmod on my system:
>Module                  Size  Used by
>uart401                 5904   0  (unused)
>sound                  56408   0  [uart401]
>soundlow                 224   0  [sound]
>soundcore               2116   3  [sound]
>serial                 17076   0  (autoclean)
>unix                    9876  37  (autoclean)
>nls_iso8859-1           2020   1  (autoclean)
>nls_cp437               3548   1  (autoclean)
>vfat                   11388   1  (autoclean)
>fat                    24864   1  (autoclean) [vfat]

You have sound drivers loaded already, do they not work? Or are they
not for that card?

>but pnpdump gives me this:

[PNPDUMP snipped]

>I do not what to make of this...
>Any hints?

The first question is, do you have any other PnP devices besides that
soundcard? If not, then you may not have a problem, if yes, then  you
have a problem. Is your BIOS configured properly for PnP?

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts