  Driver for Trident 975 Video chip/Board (Carl Hein)

From: Andy Glew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:09:00 -0600

> Same disk RAID will give you a little bit of additional safety - only if you put the
>parity
> on a head far away from the data (if you are lucky enough to know about the precise
> drive geometry.) But combined with SMART et.al. it might help because you will
> rarely get surprised by catastrophical disk failure.

Thanks for the post.

You have hit on one of my real concerns: things like SMART tell me that a drive
might be starting to go bad, but if I receive any uncorrectable errors in that
interval I have lost data and, on a single disk system, am screwed.
So part of my question is how much warning does SMART give you before
*ANY* uncorrectable block errors are found?

I am also concerned that SMART is only useful to drives that are in fairly
constant use. Drives that are not in use - i.e. 99% of the PC drives in the
world - might have errors get uncorrectably bad before the head flies over
them.  Which is another question about error distribution: are most errors
actually caused by the head, or do any errors "just happen" on the surface
- e.g. a blemish that propagates with thermal cycling (thermal cycling
unrelated to head passage).

Q: why do you say that the parity should be put on a head far away from
the data?  It seems to me that you either want all of the data and parity
blocks to be far away from each other or, if the parity blocks are in the
same track, then you might as well have the data block in the same track
too.  If multiblock errors make same-track parity blocks vulnerable,
then surely multiblock errors might hit multiple data blocks in the same
track, and so make the parity block useless.    I.e. it seems to me to
be all or nothing.

------------------------------

From: "JT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Touch Screen and Linux
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:24:19 GMT

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with a touch screen and Linux?

------------------------------

From: "JT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware to recommend?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:30:18 GMT

I am wanting to set-up relatively low cost system (around $550 excluding
monitor) and need some advise as to all components:

  motherboard
  CPU
  video
  memory
  sound
  modem
  hard-disk
  cd rom
  etc...

If there is anyone out there with a recommended setup please let me (and
everyone else know)

Thank you
JIM

------------------------------

From: aurthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux...
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:23:07 +0000

"adam.cheney" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm just about to start buying and building my new PC, and I've already
> decided that it will be running Linux on a K6-2 at 350MHz.  I need a
> shit-hot graphics card, and several people have recommended the
> Viper550.  However, Diamond support have just told me that the Viper has
> problems with VIA and ALI chipsets, because they don't cascade IRQ's
> properly, and that they "can't be sure that it would be a problem in
> Linux".
>
> Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the Viper550 under Linux with
> a Super7 mainboard with those chipsets (All AMD's recommended mainboards
> have either the ALI or the VIA chipsets)?
> Can anyone recommend another mainboard?
> Can anyone comment on my choice of graphics card and possibly recommend
> another (RIVA TNT chipset)?
>
> Thanks in andvance to any gurus who can help me.
>
> Cheers - Adam...

Ok, first of all, I cannot in any way, shape or form recommend an AMD K62
processor for ANY operating system - mostly because of the crummy chipsets
on the motherboards they go on.  I build systems and work in the repair
department as the head of the technical department at Computer Depot in San
Diego and I can honestly say, 90% of our hardware conflicts, problems, and
incompatibilities are directly related to the K62.  The other 10% of our
problems are ID-10T errors :o)  If you must stay low cost, I would
recommend going with a Celeron chip, they're almost twice as fast in most
operations anyway!  The problem with the card is not actually the card,
it's the chipset.  Super-7 motherboard chipsets, as Diamond said, don't
redirect IRQ's correctly, and, thus the card cannot be used in anything
other than VGA mode.  This causes a major problem for AMD users because now
about 80-90% of the video chipsets need an IRQ and the RIVA TNT chipset is
no exception to this rule.  I personally run Redhat 5.2 on a Celeron, as
well as NT (both versions) and 98 (I know...  TRAITOR!  Hey, I'm working on
a networking certification, ok?) and it works perfectly.  Don't be fooled
by AMD, the 3D-NOW instructions are for Internet, not for games.  AMD just
recently released a press release admitting it less than 2 weeks ago.  Stay
with what everything is written for - besides, if you run an AMD you'll end
up running linux thinking it's a 386 instead of a 686 - think about it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Driver for Madge Smart 16/4 AT Plus Ringnode?
Date: 20 Feb 1999 16:19:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Stephan Loescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does Linux support the "Madge Smart 16/4 AT Plus Ringnode"-token ring
> adapter?

I called Madge on the phone last summer and they had just developed a beta
Linux driver.  They uuencoded it and mailed it to me, and it worked fine.

Craig Ludington

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried)
Subject: Inito 9100A SCSI CARD COMPILING PROBLEMS
Date: 21 Feb 1999 19:00:26 GMT

I have successfully compiled a new kernel with the Inito drivers
installed. My card is connected to a Syjet. At boot up all the
Inito drivers come up including my Syjet.

However when I start xwindows the system crashes. This does not
happen on the other kernel.

I am using Red Hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34 on a 300mhz machinge
with a 19 inch monitor. I have an STB 128 AGP card and the card
hooked up to the syjet is a PCI.

Does anyone have any suggestions  and/or solutions??

Thanx in advance

P.S. I have already contacted Initio and they have been of very
little help. They told me that there was something wrong with my
Xconfiguration but thats not the problem because xwindows works
fine with the other kernel minus the Inito drivers. The intio drivers
have to be doing something to cause this problem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: Celeron and Linux How about it?
Date: 21 Feb 1999 13:03:02 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Meissner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff) writes:
-
-> In article <79ckcv$8dn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
-> Smartpatrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-> >I have been dinking around with linux for a little while however I don't
-> >know where or how to pass the MEM= to the Kernel. Is it part of compileing
-> >or in a seperate boot file?
->
-> Fortunately this little piece of Linux lore is soon to die the ignoble death
-> it so richly deserves.
->
-> Get the latest 2.2.X kernel (2.2.1 as of this writing) and compile it.
-> Not only will your system run faster due to improved memory management etc.,
-> the kernel will now automagically detect the correct amount of memory.
-
-Well yes and no.  If you are not prepared to upgrade several of the tools and
-commands (partiuclarly if you use firewalling or masquarading), you probably
-want to wait until the distributions come out.  However, I believe the 2.0.36
-version of the kernel also supports the new BIOS call.

I just dropped a copy of 2.2.1 on my desktop. Fortunately it doesn't require
masquerading, which moved to ipchains right? Everything worked out the box
except for printing. The parport system is really different than the old
2.0.X individual driver system. First of all it moves your printer port around
so that the first printer found is /dev/lp0 instead of /dev/lp1. Then it
requires a parport_pc.o module which modprobe doesn't autodetect. I simply
forced its insertion before I load the lp module. Prints like a champ now.

All in all though I'm pleased with the results.

-
-> Once all the distributions upgrade to 2.2.X releases, this issue will finally
-> be just a bad memory.
-
-Except it will propigate in the form of obsolete FAQs for a couple of years
-(like the old 16 meg swap limitation, use of Diamond Video cards and Adaptec
-scsi controllers, etc.).

But I won't come along as much because the autodetect will report the correct
amount of memory. I hope ;-)

BAJ

------------------------------

From: "John van der Zanden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Help please !
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:46:05 +0100

Can anyone tell me how to get my diamond speedstar a70 working for xwindows.
I can start Xwindows, but not in 800x600. The icons are Huge !! Help me
please

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J. Hopkins)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Sony Vaio 505TX
Date: 20 Feb 1999 11:35:46 -0500

After looking at laptops for about 4 months, I find the one that
appeals to me the most is the new Sony VAIO 505TX.  I'm planning to
get one when they come out, and hope to run linux on it.  I'm
wondering if anyone here knows anything about some of the hardware,
and its linux compatibility.   I guess my main questions are:

(1)  What video chip is used?
(2)  Is the "Xbrite" technology a hardware modification, or
is it software?  Is it likely to have trouble under linux?
(3)  Is the modem a winmodem?

I can't seem to find this stuff out from the web page, and the
person I talked to at vaiodirect didn't know the answer to these
questions.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Hopkins

--
Michael J. Hopkins

From: "Briggs Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Adaptec 1520 Card
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:00:49 -0500

Hi. I can't get Redhat 5.2 to detect my adaptec 1520. I tried using the
setting,

aha152x=0x340,11

and it still does not see it. Please help!

Reply be email please, not to the group :)

Thanks

-- zero
http://www.telefragged.com/
Resistance Is Futile!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Emanuel Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Sony Vaio 505TX
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:24:41 GMT

On 20 Feb 1999 11:35:46 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J. Hopkins)
wrote:

>After looking at laptops for about 4 months, I find the one that
>appeals to me the most is the new Sony VAIO 505TX.  I'm planning to
>get one when they come out, and hope to run linux on it.  I'm
>wondering if anyone here knows anything about some of the hardware,
>and its linux compatibility.   I guess my main questions are:
>
>(1)  What video chip is used?

        NeoMagic 128XD - both you and the Sony rep missed this on the 505TX
web page? Same as the current crop of 505s, and some folks are using
Linux on those.

>(2)  Is the "Xbrite" technology a hardware modification, or
>is it software?  Is it likely to have trouble under linux?

        Hardware mod - I think it refers to the display allowing more
contrast, rather than actually being brighter - the displays are
bright enough already.

>(3)  Is the modem a winmodem?
        Nope.

        epbrown
Portable Computing FAQ - http://www.enteract.com/~epbrown
Sony VAIO 505 info - http://www.enteract.com/~epbrown/sony505.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - AIM:epbrown01

------------------------------

From: Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help SiS 8mb AGP Video on Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:29:44 +0800

Shane Pavonetti wrote:

> I have a motherboard with 8 mb agp SiS video and i cannot run xwindows.  I
> need help.  I have tried to just run a simple VGA config and that won't
> work!!
> also my radius precision view 17 monitor is not a choice in the monitors
> section -- is generic multisync ok
>
> heeeeeellllppp!!!!!!!
> shane

try to use Xconfigurator, and choose SVGA server WITHOUT choosing any clock
chip, Ramdac and do NO probs, select only one 8bit resolution setting and try
again.

read your monitor manual and input the correct V and H sync.

------------------------------

From: Michael Trausch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ZIP Parallel Port Under Red Hat 5.2
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:23:12 -0500

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: Refresh Rate Utility
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:01:49 +0100

Hans Smith wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good utility to adjust the refresh rate of your
> monitor in the non-GUI side of LINUX.

I haven't tried it, but maybe you will be able to find some good mode if
you put

vga=ask

in /etc/lilo.conf and re-run /sbin/lilo.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128 works only when logged in as root.
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:06:59 +0100

kurtz wrote:
> The Problem:
>     ESound (enlightenment sound daemon) runs and plays, gmix (gnome
> mixer) works, xwave works.  But only when I'm root.  When I login
> with a user account, the hardware cannot be found.

What is the permissions of /dev/audio, /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp ? Maybe
only root is able to use them? Maybe they are owned by some group to
which users should belong?

regards Henrik

From: Robert Schiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning crashed HD?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:48:21 +0100

Hans Kingma wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Drive spins up alright, only my BIOS fails to recognize it. I heard something
> of a MBR signature. There was something strange, though, just before the

That's correct, there is such a signature, but the absence of that
signature does not influence the bios in detecting the disk, it only
prevents bios from booting that disk. This signature is written back to
disk with simply calling DOS fdisk for example.
But as you said your bios does not even detect the drive, the problem is
not the signature.

> "crash". I changed a singe 1 Gig partition on the drive to two seperate
> partitions one for "/" and one for "/usr". When initialising (formatting) the
> first partition (/dev/hda7 as a matter of fact) is was only for a blink of an

You want to say the formating process was aborted? Did you see an error
message?

> eye the next partition (/dev/hda8) took a "normal" amount of time. What I
> thought was that formatting the first partition somehow corrupted the MBR
> and/or Partition table rendering the disk unavailable. Is this possible?

Which partition did you format first?

After all it sounds a bit you possibly had an head crash. That would
explain the bios not detecting the disk, because the disk only sends
drive data to the controller, if it was able to reposition the head
correctly.

But as I already told you, it would be best to test the drive in a
different system. That would make sure if the drive is damaged or not.

> hans

Robert

------------------------------

From: Carl Hein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for Trident 975 Video chip/Board
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:28:39 -0600

I have installed Redhat 5.2 to a new computer having a Jaton-87AGP
video board.  Linux runs in text-mode, but I am trying to get into
X-windows.  The board was not listed in the Redhat install script, so I
tried the generic-svga driver, but the screen just goes blank.

The video board is based on the Trident 975 chip which is listed in
the XFree86 distribution.  I tried downloading the driver, but upon
running RPM to install it, get the following message:

    > rpm -ivh xsvga-3.3.rpm

    failed dependencies:
            libgz.so.1 is needed by xsvga-3.3.3-3

Any clues?

(I am not a newbie to Unix, but I am new to installing Linux on PCs.)