Linux-Hardware Digest #478, Volume #14           Tue, 13 Mar 01 20:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Ricoh 9120a - compatible ? ("Maik Heckerott")
  3D IGRACI => SUPER PONUDA => AMD K6 - 3DNOW - 300 MHz ("D&S Computers")
  4-Way on Linux, what hardware? (Les Carter)
  Re: 4-Way on Linux, what hardware? (jwk)
  Re: Diamond Supra Express ("Sirius")
  Re: Video Capture Card/TV Tuner ("Andy Walker")
  Re: Help with Ftape / T3000 drive (John Thompson)
  promise fasttrak 100 + suse 7.0 problems ("ogni")
  Re: Diamond Supra Express (Dimitri Maziuk)
  Re: Belkin USB Devices ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  make device driver...  ("Prelard812")
  Re: RedHat 7.0 and Compaq PL 4500. (Trevor Hemsley)
  Re: 4-Way on Linux, what hardware? (Trevor Hemsley)
  soundcard only makes noise (Christopher GAUTIER)
  Re: BP6 + EC10 upgrade + linux report (Tim Moore)
  Linux w/ tv-out ? ("Christopher H")
  Re: BP6 + EC10 upgrade + linux report (Tim Moore)
  OmniBook 6000 internal modem and RedHat 7.0 ("Xiaoqin Qiu")
  Slow-down from unused second processor? (Jay Braun)
  Re: Slow-down from unused second processor? (Joshua Baker-LePain)

From: "Maik Heckerott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ricoh 9120a - compatible ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:25:29 +0100

are there any experience with the ricoh 9120a under SUSE 7.1 ?

thanx
Maik

------------------------------

From: "D&S Computers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: yu.comp.hardware,yu.drenik.oglasi,yu.oglasi
Subject: 3D IGRACI => SUPER PONUDA => AMD K6 - 3DNOW - 300 MHz
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:25:20 +0100

ZA QUAKE II SA PODRSKOM RADI U REZOLUCIJI 512 BEZ SECKANJA A DA NEKAZEM KAKO
JE JOS SA 3D KARTICOM.
U SVAKOM SLUCAJU IDEALAN PROCESOR ZA NADOGRADNJU.

CENA SAMO 70 DEM.

TEL 011 421 698
TEL 063 8410 116

------------------------------

From: Les Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 4-Way on Linux, what hardware?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:39:43 -0800

Ok, I want to play with SMP system, and I've got a few dollars to spare
(not wads of cash, but enough) to investigate.  I've seen 4-way
motherboards going for around $600-$900, but I was wondering if anyone
had had any experience with running Linux on a 4-way?

Does anyone know of any problems there are running Linux on a 4-way, or
recommended hardware??

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: 4-Way on Linux, what hardware?
Date: 13 Mar 2001 19:48:58 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:39:43 -0800, Les Carter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok, I want to play with SMP system, and I've got a few dollars to spare
>(not wads of cash, but enough) to investigate.  I've seen 4-way
>motherboards going for around $600-$900, but I was wondering if anyone
>had had any experience with running Linux on a 4-way?
>
>Does anyone know of any problems there are running Linux on a 4-way, or
>recommended hardware??

Allmost all 4-way servers use Intel's 450NX chipset, which is supported
by Linux. Most problems I've seen have to do with added gadgets by the
vendor, special watchdog-cards, special on-board cards that only have
Windows drivers, that kind of stuff. I've seen less info about the older
pentium-pro systems, but I believe they also may work. It's tempting, I
know. Remember that a 4-way Xeon board needs special buffered EDO-ECC
dram that isn't cheap, and it needs 4 identical dimms at a time.....

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
BOFH excuse #304:

routing problems on the neural net
GNU/Linux 2.4.2-ac20 SMP/ReiserFS 2x1743 bogomips load av: 0.02 0.07 0.02

------------------------------

From: "Sirius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:56:41 -0000

"Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> Sirius wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the UK and want to buy a good modem to use with Linux. I don't
want
> > to spend too much as I hope that I can move up from V90 before too long.
I'm
> > hoping for comments about Diamond Supra Express PCI V90 modems.
> >
> > Are they good?
>
> I am using a Diamond Supra Express right now. It works fine. Read the
> requirements on the side of the box very carefully; if they claim the
> modem will work in DOS, then it will work in Linux.
>
> > Easy to use for a Linux newbie?
>
> The Supra Express is set up as a "winmodem" out of the box. There are a
> set of jumpers on the board that will have to be reset. I recommend you
> set the modem to the DOS settings mentioned in the manual: Port 2, IRQ
> 4. Then you must go into the BIOS and disable the onboard Port 2. You
> should be in business.

Now I see that there are ISA, PCI and external models of this. Which one do
you have? I think I will avoid the PCI unless I'm very sure it will work.

> If your serial port is already in use by another device, then you will
> have to set your modem to Port 3 and find an unused IRQ. If you are
> dual-booting with Windows, go into the Win device manager and find out
> what settings are listed there. Win generally assigns internal modems to
> Port 3, and IRQ 11, or similar. You will have to check the modem's
> manual and set the jumpers to the same port and IRQ as listed in Win
> device manager. Now you will have to add a file to the startup routine:
>
> As "root", create a file called "/etc/rc.d/rc.serial". It will look
> something like this:
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 UART 16550A port 0x3e8 irq 11 spd_vhi
>
> Again, use the IRQ listed in Win device manager. Test the modem with
> minicom--it should be working.

Thanks. I'll keep this inf.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video Capture Card/TV Tuner
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:00:47 -0000

Daniel J. Peng wrote in message ...
>I'd like to get a TV tuner/video capture card that's compatible with
>Linux, but I can't seem to find any list of what's compatible.  Is
>there a definite website for video capture under Linux?
>
>I'd like to be able to watch TV on screen and capture 640x480 true color
>at 30 fps on a Pentium II-300 running RedHat 7.0.  What would be the best
>choice for this application?

I'm running an Athelon 600 and a PCTV Pinnacle card that dual boots with
Win98.
It works fine in Windows but whatever I do in Linux regardless of what
software I use it just locks up my machine.
I'm using Mandrake7.2 which has xawtv and kwintv installed but it makes no
difference which. I get sound (though only static) then the system locks up
and I have to re-boot.
I've tried it on an AMD K6-2 450 and the same problem occurs. The programs
seem to start up ok but thats about it. I've even tried loading new versions
of the software to no avail.
Am I doing something wrong in setting it up and does anyone have any help.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with Ftape / T3000 drive
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:02:30 -0600

"Allan R. Batteiger" wrote:

>   The T3000 I have is a floppy attached drive.  It has a spliiter cable
> that goes between floppy A and the main floppy cable. the end of this cable
> then goes to the tape drive.  I have tried putting the drive on the B drive
> connector with no luck.

Ah.  Then ftape is indeed appropriate.  It's been a while since
I've tried ftape but I seem to recall some configuration
parameters (IRQ, address, etc.) that need to be passed to the
module to make it work.  I had a hard time with my Jumbo running
off the floppy controller and ended up getting a dedicated tape
controller board for the Jumbo, which worked much better.  But
eventually I outgrew it and now use a SCSI tape device in that
machine.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "ogni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: promise fasttrak 100 + suse 7.0 problems
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:38:54 +0100

hi !!!
dose anybody know, if this raidcontroller runs with suse linux ?

when i run the setup suse canīt dedect my two harddisks.

there exists a module for redhat (http://support.promise.com/Support/) but
can i use it for suse  ??
thx for help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dimitri Maziuk)
Date: 13 Mar 2001 21:07:04 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:56:41 -0000, Sirius wrote:

>Now I see that there are ISA, PCI and external models of this. Which one do
>you have? I think I will avoid the PCI unless I'm very sure it will work.

Presumably he has either ISA or PCI model. I've an external Supra and it
worked right out of the box -- I didn't even change setserial flags.
If you're prepared to pay extra $$s, go for external model.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Belkin USB Devices
Date: 13 Mar 2001 21:16:37 GMT

Iain Charles Kyte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anybody been able to get Belkin USB Devices working with Linux?

http://www.exploits.org/nut/

At least they are listed on compatibility list.  Myself I did not
touch them so I cannot tell first hand.

You will find nut rpms on the latest 'rawhide' from Red Hat.

  Michal

------------------------------

From: "Prelard812" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: make device driver...
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:37:28 -0500

i want to learn how make device driver because i wan to make my own piece of
hardware

where can i start...i want some address on the net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0 and Compaq PL 4500.
Date: 13 Mar 2001 21:41:17 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:41:17, "Ole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Trevor Hemsley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:40:45, "Ole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Have anyone installed RedHat 7.0 on a Compaq PL 4500? I have tried, and
> > > did'nt succeed. My PL 4500 is equipped with a Compaq SMART-2/E array
> > > controller (on which the disks are connected) and a Compaq 32-bit Fast
> and
> > > Wide SCSI-2/E controller (on which the CD-drive is connected). The
> problem I
> > > run into is that I have no driver for the Compaq 32-bit Fast and Wide
> > > SCSI-2/E controller. Does anyone know about such a driver?
> >
> > It'll use one of the SymBIOS/NCR chipsets - probably a 53c875 - and
> > will want to use one of the SYM or NCR drivers.
> >
> > Is the PL4500 an EISA machine?
>
> I have tried the drivers for Symbios and NCR, but the result is the message
> "Failed to insert ncr53c8xx module".

Does RedHat 7.0 have a driver calling itself sim710? That's for
"simple NCR53c710" chipsets and I have that working on a Proliant 1000
(P60, EISA only) but I had to hack it a bit to make it work. On
ProLiant 1500's I've had no problem using a driver called NCR53C8XXX
(BSD driver). I'd think that the 1500's are more similar to the 4500
than the 1000 so that should work.

> My PL4500 is an EISA machine. Is there any trouble with EISA machines?

There's not much autodetection code for EISA parameters so you may
have to use overrides when you load the modules.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Date: 13 Mar 2001 22:27:03 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:39:43, Les Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Ok, I want to play with SMP system, and I've got a few dollars to spare
> (not wads of cash, but enough) to investigate.  I've seen 4-way
> motherboards going for around $600-$900, but I was wondering if anyone
> had had any experience with running Linux on a 4-way?
>
> Does anyone know of any problems there are running Linux on a 4-way, or
> recommended hardware??

It's cheaper to run on a dual since that doesn't require Xeon
processors nor a special chipset. You can buy decent dual P-III boards
for not a huge amount more than a single processor board. I'm
currently running a dual P-III 1GHz on a Supermicro P6DBE for example.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: Christopher GAUTIER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundcard only makes noise
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:32:47 +0100

After compiling kernel 2.4.2, I discovered that my Creative AudioPCI 128
doesn't work anymore. It only makes trash when I try to play something.
Does anybody have a remedy ?
Christopher GAUTIER
www.cnedra.org

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: BP6 + EC10 upgrade + linux report
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:06:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I recently did the EC10 100uF -> 1000uF capacitor upgrade and thought I
> : would share the test results.
>
> Can someone point to a URL or briefly describe this idea? :P

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~doylep/linux-bp6/ (Mysterious Lockups)
http://bp6.gamesquad.net/Q6fix.phtml
http://216.247.220.192/Forum/search.asp (search for 'EC10' in 'BP6 News'
forum)
--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "Christopher H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux w/ tv-out ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:45:03 GMT

Hi everyone,

I have a Creative decoder card (DXR2) and I can play DVDs/VCDs/MPGs on my TV
through Win2k with no problem. But now I want to take out the card and put
it in my P166 box (which is closer to my bigger TV).

Would it be possible to have the decoder card working along with the tv-out
capability ? What software would be needed (if possible a console soft.)

Thanks,
Christopher H
remove NOSPAM to email.

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:51:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.hardware Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I recently did the EC10 100uF -> 1000uF capacitor upgrade and thought I
> : would share the test results.
>
> Can someone point to a URL or briefly describe this idea? :P

There are 7 capacitors along the right edge of the board (CPU socket
side).

The one in the middle (between the S370 sockets) is marked '100uF' and
1/3 the size of the other 6.  According to Abit the 100uF capacitor
should be 1500uF, 6.3v.  Larger values will not hurt, smaller values may
not be enough.  I used a 1000uF, 16v with good luck.

Gently pry the 100uF up with a flat jewelers screwdriver and rock it
side to side parallel to the memory.  Mine came off leaving two small
leads attached to the board.  I soldered the new capacitor to these
leads.  Note the white band on one side of the capacitor gets soldered
to the white side of the marking on the board (same orientation as the
others).

Other people have soldered the new capacitor on the bottom of the board
where the 100uF leads go through.  Match the white strips.  This is
probably the safer and easier method as I had trouble getting solder to
stick to the old 100uF leads.  Make sure to insulate the leads to
prevent electrical shorts.
--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "Xiaoqin Qiu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OmniBook 6000 internal modem and RedHat 7.0
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:55:44 -0800

Hi,

I have a HP OmniBook 6000 notebook installed RedHat 7.0. However, I don't
know how to configure the internal modem under Linux. On the internet, I
found someone said the internal modem is not supported by Linux. Is it true?
If it is true, is there anyone know which PC card can be bought and
installed on HP omniBook 6000 and configured under RedHat 7.0?

The internal modem card is 3Com 3c556 10/100 Mini PCI Adapter and 56K modem.
Thank you very much for your help!

Xiaoqin

------------------------------

From: Jay Braun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slow-down from unused second processor?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:04:34 -0800

We have a single-threaded application that is a CPU and memory hog.  Our
performance on single-processor Linux systems has been excellent.  Our
sponsor wants to buy us a 2-processor system so that we can run 2
separate applications at once on one computer.  No one is expecting us
to "magically" parallelize the application.  But here's the concern:

If we run 1 application on one of the processors, will the overhead of
the second processor slow us down?

Would 2 applications run faster on 2 separate computers than on the 2
processors sharing the same board?

Do we have to do anything dumb like "assign" a processor to a process?
I thought the OS took care of that.

We're using RH 7.0 (2.2 kernel), with plans to use RH 7.1 (2.4 kernel).

Would appreciate feedback and experiences.

Jay

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow-down from unused second processor?
Date: 14 Mar 2001 00:27:42 GMT

Jay Braun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have a single-threaded application that is a CPU and memory hog.  Our
> performance on single-processor Linux systems has been excellent.  Our
> sponsor wants to buy us a 2-processor system so that we can run 2
> separate applications at once on one computer.  No one is expecting us
> to "magically" parallelize the application.  But here's the concern:

Well that's good.  ;)

> If we run 1 application on one of the processors, will the overhead of
> the second processor slow us down?

Perhaps, but only very slightly.

> Would 2 applications run faster on 2 separate computers than on the 2
> processors sharing the same board?

Yes, but, again, only slightly.  And other concerns (having one dedicated
processing box, e.g.) could trump the slight performance hit.

> Do we have to do anything dumb like "assign" a processor to a process?
> I thought the OS took care of that.

It does, so you don't have to worry about.  Note that there is no way
(that I know of) of tying a process to a single processor if you wanted
to -- some OSs will let you do that.

> We're using RH 7.0 (2.2 kernel), with plans to use RH 7.1 (2.4 kernel).

SMP performance literally just keeps getting better.

> Would appreciate feedback and experiences.

Linux does SMP quite well.  We run LS-DYNA, a parallelized FEM code.
Using two processors, it runs ~1.9x as fast as on one processor, which
is very good.  (Coincidentally, it only gets about 1.6x on NT -- heh, heh).
That case is, of course, slightly different than yours.  But you're
not going to be taking any major performance hit going SMP.

You mentioned that our app is a memory hog.  Make sure, if you go SMP,
to have enough memory for both instances.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering