Linux-Hardware Digest #521, Volume #9            Sat, 27 Feb 99 23:13:46 EST

Contents:
  Re: Digital Cameras (Jeremy D. Zawodny)
  pcnet_reset_8390 (Bernie Ott)
  3com 3c905b and DHCP (Stephen Judkins)
  SB16 Vibra... (Led)
  Re: Modem on COM5? (Jim Reidford)
  Re: 3com 3c905b and DHCP ("Barry Scully")
  Ugh... Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Peter F. Curran)
  Attempting Redhat 5.1 Install, HD has a split personality (horny)
  Any PCI IDE controllers for Linux available? (Brandon White)
  Re: Any chance for Linux to use an MDP7800-U PCI Modem (Rob Clark)
  Re: Sound Blaster Live! (Bradley Yen)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? ("Jim Ross")
  Scanner help (John Garrison)
  Re: A "mounting" question (Peter Greenwood)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Mark Grosberg)
  Re: USB (Kyle Dansie)
  Parallel scanner ("Fabio Rafael")
  Install Redhat onto the second hard drive? (S Zhao)
  Zoom modem and Linux ("Jonathan D. Oman")
  Re: Digital Cameras ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help : ide 8.4G limit... ("MG_Tak")
  Help... IDE 8.4 gig limit ("MG_Tak")
  Re: Adaptec 3950 SCSI controller ("Michael W. Ryder")
  Re: Small pump for liquid cooling... ("CMSI")
  Midi with SB AWE64 ISA: detailed (Vardan Akopian)
  how to get PC config from Win'98 b4r Linux installation (Kishore)
  Will Linux support the Memorex CRW-620 Rewritable burner? ("David")
  Re: A more complete and well-formed question. (Richard Steiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy D. Zawodny)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Digital Cameras
Date: 27 Feb 1999 20:17:11 -0500

"The Infernal One" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone either know or have good source information on
> which digital cameras support linux? TIA.

I've got a Kodak DC-210. I communicate with it via the serial cable
and some DC210 Perl modules.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny                Web Geek, Perl Hacker, etc.
http://www.wcnet.org/~jzawodn/   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

LOAD "LINUX",8,1

------------------------------

From: Bernie Ott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: pcnet_reset_8390
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:50:50 GMT

Help!!!!!

I've got a laptop with a PCMCIA network adapter.
DE-660 by DLINK.
Running RedHat 5.2  (2.0.36 kernel)

I had some problems recently, then got the card working for one
day, even through a few reboots, after I installed PCMCIA Services 3.0.9

Now, EVERY TIME I start the machine I get:

     pcnet_reset_8390()  did not complete
     timeout waiting for Tx RDC.

This happens after:

      insmod /lib/modules/preferred/net/8390.o
      insmod ........./pcnet_cs.o

This thing works perfectly fine under Windows 98, but I DON'T want
to go there today!

I've even tried re-installing Linux... No success.
I've now tried PCMCIA Service 3.05 and 3.09.

HELP!!!!!

From: Stephen Judkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com 3c905b and DHCP
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:53:20 -0800

Excuse me,  but I'm a linux newbie.   On the Redhat hardware compability
site,  it says that my NIC,  the 3com 3c905b is "compatible, but
unsupported".   What does this mean?  It also says "it is not necessary
to build a custom kernel".   Does that mean I don't have to compile a
custom kernel? I'm glad of that.

Does anyone have any experience with this card?  How does it work?

Also,  I have a broadband DSL connection,  and my ISP gives me a dynamic
IP with DHCP.  Is DHCP microsoft-only?  Can I get it to work in linux?

If these things are true,  then I'm free of the oppressive world of M$.

Thanks in advance

--
Stephen "Ozguid" Judkins
Axefoolery on AIM

------------------------------

From: Led <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB16 Vibra...
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:56:42 -0500

I got a question here...

My sound card is a SB16 Vibra(etc.) but, It seems that it's configured
half...

Example...
In the games Koules(hehe) the sound's playing correctly.

But, in all other things, like Doom, Mp3 playing, I got a dma Time
Out...
In windows the card is set to irq 5, dma 1
in Linux, the same... so ... I don't understand why this won't work!

------------------------------

From: Jim Reidford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem on COM5?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:41:38 +0000

Rick Brice wrote:

> Sounds wonderful, Brian,
> but the bottom line is R.T.F.M !
> If he wasn't so lazy( and others like him) there wouldn't be so many nonsense
> messages here.
> This group and linux became successful because of serious work from a lot of
> people.
> Everytime I see a post about PCI Modems, Winmodems, and related stuff, its  from
> people who haven't done their homework and don't intend to. In fact, they are so
> uninformed and disorganized, they've probably already bought a Winmodem without
> ever checking whether it will work or not. Stupid people!
> Sympathy is found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphillis(and I don't care
> if its spelled wrong).
>
> Regards,
> Rick

That's telling them.!!!
--
Jim Reidford

--

"Due to financial constraints,
the light at the end of the tunnel

------------------------------

From: "Barry Scully" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com 3c905b and DHCP
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:30:08 -0500

I have been using this card in multiple systems.  On install in redhat 5.2
the card is recognized as 359 type card.  Now the first time I did this I
searched around and found a person who had made there own and it worked
fine.  Now I am just using the driver found...it may be the same one since
my original install was using a very old redhat.

good luck
Barry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter F. Curran)
Subject: Ugh... Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:31:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Meissen) writes:
>
>> >    Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>> >track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>> >turned on and off by software.
>>
>> This is untrue. The fact is, the feature can be disabled with software,
>> but it can ONLY be turned back on by a full hardware reset.
>
>You are mistaken:
>
>http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/05/news1/

No, he is right that it requires a full hardware
reset to turn the feature back on.  What people
have discovered is that it is easy to trick the
_control_ software into leaving it ON after the
next reboot, rather than disabling it as the user
intended.  Basically, the control program has to
store the user's preference in a file somewhere.
If another program changes that file's contents,
the PSN will be available on the next reboot.  A
bad program could then make a copy of the PSN,
and have it available whenever it needed it in
the future.

Moving the PSN disable process to the BIOS helps,
because each BIOS is different.  However, it would
still be possible for a program to over-ride the
users preference by changing the settings in the
non-volatile system memory.  It would be more
difficult to write this kind of program.

None of this addresses the problem of having a
bad program grab the PSN when it is on, and storing
it despite the user's preference that it not be
available at specific times.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

dough knot male: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Use address in Organization line, finger
for PGP key.  Antispaam test in progress.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (horny)
Subject: Attempting Redhat 5.1 Install, HD has a split personality
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 02:25:02 GMT

I have 2 hard disks in my system, a 6.1 gig that is the primary drive
and formatted to FAT 32 with the exception of 15 megs that I left
before the Windows C: partition.  This is supposed to be for a Linux
boot partition.  The rest of Linux was to be installed on my secondary
drive, which is a 1 gig.  I can get the CD to autoboot from DOS, but
after that a bunch of dialogue loads up, and it dies with these being
the last few lines:

hdd: 123264 kB, 963/8/32 CHS, 533kBps, 512 sector size, 720 rpm
hdd: The drive supports both 126272336 and 0 bytes as its capacity
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:21

I saw nothing in the BIOS that would indicate that this is a BIOS
thing, but I'm all ears to suggestions.  I deleted all of the
partitions from this second drive.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Rusty Tanton
naive college student and Linux newbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brandon White)
Subject: Any PCI IDE controllers for Linux available?
Date: 27 Feb 1999 19:46:04 -0600

Hello!

Does anyone know of any addon PCI IDE controllers available for Linux?
Ones with UDMA and >8.4 GB disk support? I know about the Promise
FastTrak and the Promise Ultra33, but there seems to be no drivers
available for these. I'd like to add some more hard disks to my system
but don't want to spend big bucks for SCSI drives.

Thanks for any answers provided!

Brandon White

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Any chance for Linux to use an MDP7800-U PCI Modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:57:51 GMT

In article <7b7log$dfe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John L. Spetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Failing that, I was wondering if there is a list of widely available
>modems currently on the market that are known to work properly with
>Linux

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Bradley Yen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:20:27 +0000

It's a trick... when in Windows/DOS the SB Live! is running some SB-16
emulation.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:05:56 -0500

David A. Frantz wrote in message <7b7iqa$83g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Robert Krawitz wrote in message ...

>>> As with any general purpose operateing system there are trade offs, one
>>> outstanding feature of Linux is the freedom to transform it into
>something
>>> that suits your purposes.    The reallity is that there is nothing to be
>>> gained by trying to use a special capability of the XEON just to
fillfull
>>> the special needs of a few users.    This is especially the case when
the
>>> Chip and Chip SETs are not suited for the application.    I firmly
>believe
>>> that if you really need 64 bit addressing to main memory then you need
>>> look at a 64 bit system.
>>
>>Well, Xeon boxes seem to be awfully popular these days.  And again:
>>there's a lot of software (even for Linux) that only runs on x86.
>>Folks who want to use Oracle don't have the option of getting an Alpha.
>
>They may be popular some where in the world, but the cost is a
consideration
>especial considering there limit capability increase over the rest ot the
>Intel family.    I still of the opinion if you need more than 32 bit
>addressing then you should jump to a 64 bit system.    Why screw around
with
>a solution that at best is only temporary.

I think the reason is because NT needed more memory and 64 bit NT will not
be out soon.

Jim

------------------------------

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Scanner help
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 05:12:09 GMT

I have a scanner from back in my windows days and never configured it
for linux.  Can I use a SCSI Module to access my scanner?  I really
don't want to have to re-compile the kernel, but need access to my
scanner again.  I tried insmod and modprobe-ing the 'sg.o' 'scsi_debug'
modules but 'scanimage --list-devices' doesn't show up my scanner.  I
added a modprobe of those modules to my init script and it found a
nonexistent device everywhere possible and I still couldn't access my
scanner.  I read that if it finds devices in every slot then you have to
reconfigure the jumpers on your scsi card.  Is this true? I don't know
if I even still have the manual to my scanner/scsi card.  The scanner
used TWAIN if that makes any difference.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Greenwood)
Subject: Re: A "mounting" question
Date: 28 Feb 1999 02:40:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Walter Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>On my home computer I have a multiple booting system using removable
>"trayed" hard drives. I have Linux, Solaris7, and   ms  . (In order of
>preference.)
>I also have an external SCSI drive which I have partitioned into 3
>drives, 1 for Linux, 1 for Solaris7 and one for .... ms. Will Linux
>mount a Solaris partition?
Never tried, but I'd guess it should work partially; I do know Solaris for
SPARC uses the UFS file system, which Linux can read (though not write).
Don't know what Solaris for Intel (presumably ...?) uses.

>Will Solaris mount a Linux ext2 FS partition or a   ms   FAT partition?
Doubt Solaris can use ext2, but it (the SPARC version again) can read and
write DOS floppies OK.  Don't know if it can deal with hard disks; you may
end up having to use floppies as your transfer mechanism.

Sorry to be so vague - thought a few hints were better than none, though.
--
        Peter Greenwood         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Email advertisements received at this site are subject to a handling charge

------------------------------

From: Mark Grosberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 02:59:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc John Meissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Boycott Swintel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
> >track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
> >turned on and off by software.

> This is untrue. The fact is, the feature can be disabled with software,
> but it can ONLY be turned back on by a full hardware reset.

Ahh yes. But in most ISA x86 architectures you can perform a _full_ reset
of the processor without rebooting the machine. Remember the good old days
of when Intel made the 286 Protected mode more secure by never allowing
you to go back to real mode (instead of from CPL 0)? Well, for
compatability reasons, I'm willing to bet that the machinery for doing
this (mostly in the BIOS, uses the keyboard controller to hold the actual
reset line low) is still in most PC's.

> Of potential concern is that after a hard reset the feature =is=
> reenabled, but if you consider the logic of not being able to
> enable via software, this is the only way to provide for re-enabling
> the feature.

Of course, the chip can only send off it's ID number if you help it.
Standard protocol implementation don't do this (although it would be scary
to watch serial numbers come up in an HTTP agent log). So the lesson is
stick with standard protocols and you should be okay.

> A boycot based on this is ridiculous. Whether you use the chip
> or not should depend on the capabilities of the CPU and if you
> feel they meet your needs.

Intel certainly isn't the first hardware company to put a serial number
that is software accessible in their hardware. I don't agree with it (and
don't buy their processors for purely technical reasons). But I am more
worried about what my buddies up in Redmond plan to do with such a
hardware feature. I suspect Linux users have nothing at all to worry
about.

L8r,
Mark G.

Note: The opinions expressed here are my own and not that of my employer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:50:51 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB

Pinciux wrote:

> Can I use  USB devices with Linux (kernel 2.2.1)?
> (in particular scanner and modem)
> Thanks

The USB code is alpha stage. You can read more at
http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/uusbd-www/news.html

Cheers,
Kyle
Linux Rules     Iomega Zip Drive Mini - HOWTO
-
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: "Fabio Rafael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parallel scanner
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:08:53 -0300

I need help. I have a parallel scanner on my computer, and I want to make it
work under linux. Anyone can help me?

From: S Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install Redhat onto the second hard drive?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:48:06 -0500

Hello,

    I recently got another hard drive for my Dell Latitude CP laptop. I
tried to install Redhat 5.1 onto it. Unfortunately, the redhat boot disk
can not recognize it. Is there a workaround to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Please leave a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan D. Oman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Zoom modem and Linux
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:11:51 GMT

I have two external Zoom modems.  One is the V.34X Plus, and the new one is
the 56k DualMode.  The V.34X has worked well with Slackware 3.6 / Kernal
2.0.35.  The problem is the 56k DualMode modem.  It never gets into 56k mode
with Linux.  It always drops down to V.34 mode.  I know that the system I am
calling supports 56k, because I have another system with a Win95 OS that has
no problems connecting at 46kb or even 48kb.

I have tried all of the suggestions in the howto's.  Including "setserial
/dev/cua1 spd_vhi", and "stty crtscts < /dev/cua1".  I have tried many
combinations of the AT commands without success.  The fastest I have been
able to connect is 26kb.  More often than not, it connects at 12kb!

Has anyone successfully used this Zoom 56k modem with Linux, at high speed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon Oman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 28 Feb 1999 02:31:12 GMT

 Try http://www.gphoto.org/gphoto/cameras.html

    ---- remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address ----
--
Cleave yourself to logodedaly and you cleave yourself from clarity.

------------------------------

From: "MG_Tak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help : ide 8.4G limit...
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:17:56 -0500

------------------------------

From: "MG_Tak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help... IDE 8.4 gig limit
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:19:53 -0500

    Hi,

I have a IBM 16.8 gig hard drive...
the first 10 gigs are formatted with Windows partitions, and I'd like to
keep it like that.
Unfortunately, the remaining 6 gigs, I can't get to them with fdisk :
it says the physical and logical ends are different.\
I downloaded the Slackware 3.6 version, anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks...

MG_Tak

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 3950 SCSI controller
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:47:39 -0800

The Adaptec 3950 is a Ultra2 SCSI controller and should be usable under
both 2.0.36 and 2.2.X.  I am currently using the on-board version of
their Ultra2 controller with no problems under 2.0.36.
Hope this helps.

Michael W. Ryder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "CMSI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small pump for liquid cooling...
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 02:52:03 -0500

Why don't you try http://www.kryotech.com  They've already built a PC tower
with a cooling unit built in.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Vardan Akopian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Midi with SB AWE64 ISA: detailed
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:35:00 -0800

Ok, as I said in my previous message I can play wav with SB AWE64 ISA,
but not midi.
Here are some details about my current config.
I'm using the kernel 2.2.1
--- The sound section of my .config file: ---
#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
# Everything else is not set
#
#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_ACI_MIXER is not set
CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH=m
# CONFIG_AEDSP16 is not set

--- cat /dev/sndstat -----
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost 2.2.1 #1 Mon Feb 15 05:15:40 CST 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: AWE32-0.4.3 (RAM512k)

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16
1: AWE Midi Emu

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

--- output of lsmod ----
Module                  Size  Used by
awe_wave              155664   0
sb                     30852   0
uart401                 5628   0  [sb]
sound                  55136   0  [awe_wave sb uart401]
soundlow                 240   0  [sound]
soundcore               2192   7  [sb sound]

--- my isapnp.conf file, the settings are the as under win9x, and sice I
can play wav
--- files I think they should be ok.
# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.17 1998/11/10 22:45:04 fox Exp $
#
#
# Compiler flags: -DABORT_ONRESERR
#
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
# Card 1: (serial identifier 93 12 5c b3 5b e4 00 8c 0e)
# Vendor Id CTL00e4, Serial Number 308065115, checksum 0x93.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE64  PnP<--
# Vendor defined tag:  73 02 45 20
#
# Logical device id CTL0045
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d

(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/308065115 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--
 (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
 (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
 (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
 (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "CTL00e4/308065115[0]{Audio               }")
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL7002
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#
(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/308065115 (LD 1
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
#     ANSI string -->Game<--
#     End dependent functions
 (NAME "CTL00e4/308065115[1]{Game                }")
# (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id CTL0022
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3a
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3b
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x3d
#
(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/308065115 (LD 2
#     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
 (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
 (IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))
 (NAME "CTL00e4/308065115[2]{WaveTable           }")
 (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

--- /etc/conf.modules file -------
alias sound sb
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /usr/local/bin/sfxload /usr/synthgm.sbk
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

I would appreciate any help and suggestion.
Please replay also by email.
Thanks

P.S. for Antonio
I didn't fix the problem so far. But here you can see my config. I'm
using RedHat 5.2,
but I also upgraded to 2.2.1. By the way I can't play midi even with
drvmidi, even though
I think I did every thing as described in docs. So if you have any hints
about this I
would appreciate. And of course I'll replay you any interesting
suggestion.

Vardan Akopian
University of Southern California
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to get PC config from Win'98 b4r Linux installation
Date: 27 Feb 1999 08:31:33 GMT

Hi,
I am going to start install Linux . But b4r I want to take a note of all
the hardware configs.
  Is there any comand in Win'98 where you can get all the least required
Hardware utensil configs for Linux installation and running?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Will Linux support the Memorex CRW-620 Rewritable burner?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:29:53 -0600

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: A more complete and well-formed question.
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 02:12:33 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan J. Maloney)
spake unto us, saying:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(jedi) wrote:
>
>>         So? Do you find Windows horribly inefficient or
>>         horribly unstable or somesuch?
>
>I read all this glowing gush in various magazines and on CNET about how
>wonderful Linux is: It's big, it's small, it's stable, it's fast, it's a
>dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Yes, but it also requires patience to get up and running (particularly
with all of this new Win-hardware), and I think it also requires more
than a little willingness to learn a new way of doing things.

Linux is *very* different from Windows in some ways, and that really
can't be stressed enough to the new user.  It isn't a better-but-free-
Windows-clone, but rather a complex operating system based on very
different concepts (networking, multiple users, etc.) and with very
different design priorities.

>I figure anything so utterly wonderful at least bears looking into.

Looking is good -- most people know nothing about the alternatives.
Just don't expect miracles.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +