From: Nina Kucklaender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epson stylus + RH 6.1
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:18:24 +0100

Hi jan!

jan matthews wrote:

> My epson stylus 600 is not detected by RH 6.1  I have complied a kernel
> with parallel printer support, but still no joy when i run printtool...

there is a line in /etc/conf.modules missing:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

that should load the kernel module for the parallel port.
i didn't recompile the kernel (have redhat 6.1) with the lpr-update
0.48-1 and used the printtool
and it worked then.
take care, nina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: how will i install a linmodem driver???
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:19:54 -0800

In article <8b6iis$fv0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "_gEri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 on my PC and all peripherals work well except
> for my modem which is Cirrus CLM Data Fax Modem...
>
> someone patiently replied that this is  winmodem and said that the driver
> from this site works. http://linmodems.org/CLModem-0.1.0.tar.gz
>
> i've checked the chipsets of my winmodem and it matches the said driver.
>
> can anyone please help me install this driver....  any help of any kind is
> highly appreaciated!
>
> this is just my second week with Linux... please be patient to me...  ";-)
>
> _gEri

I will assume you are using redhat?  If so, you download the zip file which contains
the
kernel module, a readme file, a install and uninstall script.  Become root on your
system
and run the install script.  If you are not running RedHat with the 2.2.12-20 kernel,
things are
different.  I use debian and the install script does not work right.  In that case, I
do "insmod
-f  ltmodem.o" and it loads.  In your case, you should just have to run the install
script.  Just
as a followup note, the kernel module that lucent includes is versioned to the
2.2.12-20 kernel
so it reports a version mismatch when it loads on other systems.  It does not matter
because forcing the module works on my Latitude LS laptop.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:41:40 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Jonas Datum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently building a Win98 Machine. I was thinking of
> installing
> Win2000 and Red-Hat or some other version of Linux. I would
> Install Win98
> and Linux on one or two harddrives, and Win2000 on another. How
> would I go
> about installing them. If memory serves, I have to install Win98
> first.

There are A LOT of details to cover, and they differ from one OS to
another. As a general rule, you need to partition (or repartition) your
hard disk so that it can support multiple OSs, select and configure a boot
loader, and install your OSs. You don't HAVE to install Win98 first, but
it has a tendency to trash boot loaders, and sometimes wipe out other OSs,
so starting with Win98 is a good idea.

You might be interested in my upcoming book, _The Multi-Boot Configuration
Handbook_, which is due out early next month. See
http://www.rodsbooks.com/multiboot/ for more information.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff East)
Subject: Re: RealPlayer 7 beta for Linux  HOW TO INSTALL
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:14:16 -0500

        Yes, this is offtopic for a hardware newsgroup...

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Luc Gysen wrote:
] RealAudio site... and the filename is something like this:
] real_7_0_i386_rpm.

] How can I install this file??????
] Today I saw another file: rp7install.bin

        You must be new to this.  'rpm' means a RedHat style package.  If
your distribution can handle these (and it probably does), type:

        rpm -i filename.rpm

I have Debian Linux, so I got another file and typed:

        ./rp7_redhat6.bin

...which ran a self-install.

        It says 'redhat6', and I dislike Real.com for having done that.
It runs fine on Debian 2.1.  What they probably meant was that certain
versions of certain library files need to be on your machine.  So they
said 'redhat6' instead of something like "requires glibc 2.0" or "libc 6".

        For those that are interested, this beta software claims to play
it's native audio/video, wav, mpeg (haven't got to work), and mp3 audio.
Here are the used libraries on my machine.

        $ ldd /usr/local/RealPlayer7/realplay
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000e000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x400b3000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400c7000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x400d3000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4011b000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x401be000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x401d7000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x401da000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x401e7000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x401f0000)

"You know the old story: girl meets boy, girl modifies boy's subroutines."
              - Captain Janeway, speaking of an Irish barkeep

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pcmcia modem
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:35:19 +0100

The answer is "42".

You should provide a bit more information if you want someone to be able
to provide some advice. Also you can have a look at the
Hardware-Compatibility list to see, if your modem is supported.
(/usr/doc/howto/Hardware-HOWTO.gz)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Barnes)
Subject: Installing SCSI Tape Drive in RedHat Linux
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:39:21 GMT

First, let me state that I'm a newbie to the linux world.

My problem is I have to install a SCSI tape drive into a production box
running Redhat 6.0.  This is a live box, and can't afford to be down for long
periods of time (in fact I have to do the work between 2am-6am).

I'm looking for a step-by-step guide to added support for the SCSI tape
device.  I already have SCSI support (Hard Drives).  I suppose there will be a
kernel rebuild, etc.  but I have no idea how or what to do.

Any help would be appreciated...

------------------------------

From: "Catilina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie sound problem on Debian with CMI8738 chip
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:06:10 +0100

Update: it works in command-line mode, using mpg123, but not in X using
gqmpeg. That means the card is working, but there must be some other
problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Catilina

------------------------------

From: "Robert Mazur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Screen Resolution
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:09:13 GMT

Can a 800x600 monitor be "tricked" into thinking it is 1024x768?

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I installed RH6.1 on a machine that has
what I swear is a 800x600 max screen, but I'm running at 1024x768.  Is this
possible?  Or, do I not know my monitor well enough?  If it is possible, I
would love to install on my 12.1" 800x600 laptop.  I'm dreaming, huh?

Rob

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrecord problem
Date: 21 Mar 2000 17:12:22 +0100

Michael Spalinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a Buslogic SCSI card (BT-958 PCI Wide Ultra SCSI) an HP CD Writer
> Plus 9200. The kernel is 2.2.12 on a RH 6.0 system. I can mount and read a
> CD sitting in this drive, so at some basic level it works.
>
> However I get the following error when I try to use cdrecord:
> [euler:~]# cdrecord -v -scanbus
> Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

Yes -- you are missing the sg (scsi generic) driver. This is a kernel
option, compileable into the kernel or as module.

Or just maybe you have that already and are just missing the
/dev/sg[123456...] files.

Try a lsmod and look for sg[.o], look in /usr/src/linux/.config for
CONFIG_SG or something like that (or "cd /usr/src/linux" and "make
xconfig") to check if sg is compiled or not.
If not you will have to recompile the kernel so sg is compiled module
or directly into the kernel is you choice.

In the second case read /usr/src/linux/Documentaion/devices.txt to
find out the major,minor numbers of the /dev/sg* devices and generate
them using mknod.

Oh yes: There was something on de.comp.hardware.cd-brenner (germen cd
writer group) from Joerg Shilling (author of cdrecord). According to
that cdrecord uses the SySV filesystem and this has to be compiled as
well.

Hope this helps,

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing SCSI Tape Drive in RedHat Linux
Date: 21 Mar 2000 16:27:54 GMT

Richard Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First, let me state that I'm a newbie to the linux world.

OK.  The number one rule is to supply all possibly helpful info when asking
a question.

> My problem is I have to install a SCSI tape drive into a production box
> running Redhat 6.0.  This is a live box, and can't afford to be down for
> long  periods of time (in fact I have to do the work between 2am-6am).

> I'm looking for a step-by-step guide to added support for the SCSI tape
> device.  I already have SCSI support (Hard Drives).  I suppose there will
> be a kernel rebuild, etc.  but I have no idea how or what to do.

Are you attaching the tape to the same (or same type of) SCSI controller
that your tapes are on?  If so, then support for the device
is already working on your system.  Also, RedHat pre-compiles just about
every module you could need, so you don't *need* to re-compile
the kernel -- just load the right module (man modprobe).

When you reboot, look in the boot messages (or /var/log/dmesg) for
the tape entry when it scans the SCSI bus(es).  The tape will
be accessible through /dev/st0 (rewinding tape device) and /dev/nst0
(non-rewinding tape device).  'man mt' will tell you how to talk to the
tape.

For writing to it, look at tar, dump, cpio, etc.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Terry D. Ripple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Repost: Audio CD won't play under RH 6.1 (now Mandrake 7.0)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:35:53 -0600

Robert Dwiggins II wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  My audio cd player isn't working either in
> RedHat 6.1.  Like yours, it comes up and says "no disk".  The player itself
> is working fine, as I'm listening to it now in Windows 98.  The sound card
> is a plain-jane SB16 PCI.  It configured in RedHat straightaway, and even
> played the Linus Torvalds sound clip at the end of the configuration.  The
> other pressing issue I had was with a Linksys LNE100TX ethernet card, but I
> finally got that puppy working after I downloaded a newer version of the
> Tulip driver from Linksys's website.
>
> In my case, the computer is an Athlon 600 mhz with a Gigabyte 71-X
> motherboard and 256 megs of RAM.
>
> Any hints anyone would have on getting the audio CD players working would be
> appreciated.
I've been following this thread with great interest because I have had
similar problems with my Ensoniq AudioPCI card.  It is detected and I
can hear Linus.  I can also hear system sounds if I activate them, but
no audio CD sound.  No matter which CD player I use (in KDE).  I can
actually see the CD players detect the music and appear to play it.  It
has the lists the number of songs, etc.  But no sound.  It doesn't seem
like many others have run into the same problem so I will continue to
watch this thread.  It's a small problem, but an annoying one.
Rip

------------------------------

From: "news1.attglobal.net" <x>
Subject: Re-Partition NTFS2 drive
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:46:47 -0800

I wanted to repartition a 12Gb drive (w/ Windows 2000 using NTFS2) to
install Linux in it.

Can anyone offer any clues as to what software can be useful without having
to format the drive and lose the data?

Cordially,
J.Restrepo
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Micronics W6LI only fit for use as fan heater
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:52:16 GMT

> My Micron Millenia Pro2 Plus system (PPro/200) uses an OEM variant of
> the Micronics W6Li motherboard (it has no SCSI controller), and I've
> installed several Linux flavors on it without problems (as well as
> Windows 95 and OS/2).

Twins!  So what do you call a W6Li with SCSI?

I have had some success of late - I built a 2.0.38 kernel with SMP and
the bloody thing boots!  Sadly X dies most horribly as its intended
for my 2.2 kernel...

Please, please, can anyone help me get my 2nd processor working.

Cheers,

    T.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.dcom.modems,alt.comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: $5 hardware-controller modem at CompUSA
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:56:51 GMT

Hi,

I apologize for the wrong info in my posting below, the consensus is
that this is not a hardware-controller modem.  I should have realized
that myself when I saw that the modem required 75 MHz Pentium or above.

--Tom

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:59:18 +0100
From: Julius Apweiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks

Rusty Lingenfelter wrote:

> Will all of you please take this rant to an appropriate newsgroup. I
> would suggest:
>
> comp.os.linux.advocacy or
> alt.linux.sux
>
> As you all seem to have plenty of time to read, read a bit about
> newsgroup etiquette. Please get the hint.

I wonder... is agc (alt.games.creatures) the only newsgroup where people
are asked/required to edit their posts so as not to include unneccessary
quotes from the one they're replying to?

Besides, I don't think this thread is stupid/inappropriate/whatever. It
is true that Linux documentation.. well... could be better (though the
manual of SuSE 6.3 is pretty good), but don't just talk about it. Do
something. I would, if I knew enough about the matter to express it
better than the way it is, but I certainly will have a go at some of the
stuff.

(removed hundreds of lines of quoted stuff)
> >       And watch it scroll off the day before someone needs the same
> > information.
>
> > > My two cents.

====================
Julius Dominik Apweiler
----
Owner of Julius' Web Site: http://www.geocities.com/jule-apweiler/ ,
----
Inventor of the Creatures Christmas Calendar:
http://www.geocities.com/jule-apweiler/calendar
----
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----
ICQ: 21129422 , no authorization required.
----
Sent from SuSE Linux 6.3

------------------------------

From: "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek RTL8029 Help
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:43:18 +0100

hi

ne2k-pci.o driver works fine with this card..tested

if you use DHCP you need to install "dhcpcd" package(probably already
installed...comes with distribution)
in linuxconf you have to select dhcp box

that should do

From: "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2nd monochrome console problem
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:48:45 +0100

hi eveyone!

not really a problem..
i just need some info about device file(major/minor #) for
mdacon.o driver(for monochrome card) so i can run agetty on it...

any help is appreciated...thanks

Boris B.