Linux-Hardware Digest #534, Volume #9             Mon, 1 Mar 99 03:13:56 EST

Contents:
  Re: running executables from cdrom? (Tim Moore)
  ATI XPERT Wierd Feature (David Lapointe)
  Desktop PCMCIA Support ("matthew.r.pavlovich.1")
  Re: Support for Mustek parallel scanners (Jim Howes)
  Re: Problem mounting a 'newer FAT32' filesystem Linux5.0 ("Richard Stroud")
  Hard Drive Question & Offer (Kyle Gonzales)
  Need printer sugestions! :-) (Snoop Baron)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Paul Hovnanian)
  Re: SMC EZ Card 10 - 1208T
  Re: I SEE NO REPLYS TO THIS GROUP ???? (REvange023)
  Re: Does Cyrix support linux (Mark Hollett)
  Mediavision "Memphis" kit PAS16 card - ssslllloooowwwww playback . . . (Eric
Jorgensen)
  Re: ATX Power Off problem (Bradley Yen)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? ("William Taylor")
  Re: What difference does a dual processor system make? ("William Taylor")
  Winmodem woes (Paul Hovnanian)
  Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kerne (allen kurt savegnago)
  Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox (Pascal Goguey)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info ("Michael Lee Yohe")

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:56:53 -0800
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: running executables from cdrom?

from mount(8):

user   Allow  an  ordinary  user  to  mount the file system.
       This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and
       nodev (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in
       the option line 'user,exec,dev,suid').

I use 'iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user,unhide,exec'

--
[Replies: make the double y a single]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: David Lapointe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: ATI XPERT Wierd Feature
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:14:19 -0500

I recently installed an ATI XPERT 98 ( 8 Mb). It works fine except for
two
features/warts.

The mouse cursor turns into a little barcode temporarily. This was cute
at first
but is annoying now. In X moving the cursor over the window bar removes
this "feature". This happens at all resolutions ( 800x600 -> 1280x1024)
@ 24 bits

The other feature is that in Netscape 4.5 the backspace key and delete
key have <delete under the cursor> behavior now, as does the GIMP file
chooser window. Other windows ( emacs, xterm ,etc) behave correctly,

This is puzzling to me. I have Xfree86 3.3.2, AfterStep. Is this a
configuration problem?

--
.david

David Lapointe

"First things first, but not necessarily in that order" -Dr. Who
<Remove the NOISE for  email>

------------------------------

From: "matthew.r.pavlovich.1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desktop PCMCIA Support
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:31:21 -0500

Anyone know of a desktop PCMCIA solution that works for a desktop system?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Howes)
Subject: Re: Support for Mustek parallel scanners
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:16:27 GMT

Jim Howes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Has anyone had any luck persuading a Mustek parallel scanner (specifically
: a 9600P) to work with any Linux scanning application?
Actually, it's a 9636P 'ScanMagic' Mustek scanner.

------------------------------

From: "Richard Stroud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem mounting a 'newer FAT32' filesystem Linux5.0
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:06:53 -0000

Did this ever work?  I'm in a similar situation with a similar problem, but
can't figure out how to enable NLS during kernel configuration (perhaps it's
not part of RH 5.0?).

Rich

Paches wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>My linux is on it's own drive (hdc1) and the windows drive is a western
digital
>6.4g (hda1). I'll keep trying the solutions presented here. I'll let
everyone
>know once I get it working. Keep thinking....
>-Paches
>
>Jose Urena wrote:
>
>> Did I said NFS?, I meant NLS (National Language Support)
>> thanks for noticing
>>
>> Tom Emerson wrote:
>>
>> > Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> > options
>> >
>> > and "codepage" support (NLS) -- often overlooked because it's in a
>> > different area of the kernel config script/menuconfig, but needed to
>> > support the characterset that makes up the filename [or some such
nonsense]

check=n,conv=b,vid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]

[me=0xf8,cs=8,#f=2,fs=32,f1=0,ds=32,de=0,data=32,se=0,ts=12578832,ls=512]

------------------------------

From: Kyle Gonzales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Drive Question & Offer
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 01:10:49 -0500

Hi all,

    I have some hard drive questions for the masters here:

1)    (And I know you have heard this one a thousand times, but...)
How do you get UDMA support under Linux?  The site that contained the
old Unified UDMA patch is down!  The UDMA mini-HOWTO directs me to use
this patch, so...  Any ideas?  Is there a new patch, with instructions?
I'd like to use this feature of my hard drive...   I searched DejaNews
back several months, and could not find a good answer to this question
(or any answer for that matter...)

Make you all a deal.  If someone sends me the drivers for UDMA for
Linux, and how to use them, I myself will post them to the Web.  Deal?

2)    Every so often, my Linux system hangs, then I see a message that
my hard drive DMA has been reset & disabled, then the system goes about
it's business.  I have a Fujitsu 6.4 UDMA HD, with 0kb cache.  I think
that the lack of cache is what is causing the problem.  The DMA is
getting overruns, with no cache to dump it to.  Happens with serial
devices, right?  Does anyone have any other ideas?  I think I need a
better hard drive.

I have now successfully recompiled my kernel to cut out the fluff from
the default kernel.  Works nicely.  If I could only do that with
Windows...  Not bad after only running Linux for 2 months.  My only
complaint is that I have to keep Win95 on my system for a school
project.  I have to run Access 97.  Ugh.  Anyway, new people, stick with
it and RTFM!!!

Kyle Gonzales

From: Snoop Baron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need printer sugestions! :-)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 00:29:59 -0600

Hi,

        I need to get a Color Ink Jet printer. I'm looking for something at
around $500 or less. I want a printer that will work well with Linux,
print PostScript files (native support would be best (faster right)),
and work well under WordPerfect 8 (what my family uses for Word
Processing (it's great btw :-) ). All suggestions would be most welcome
the last printer I purchased is my old dot matrix Panasonic.

Thanks,
Fernando
--
Snoop Baron -- on the web -- at  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/baron/

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:35:45 -0800

Stephe wrote:

> Grant Leslie wrote:
> >
> >  Enabled/disabled doesn't matter, the basic fact is that it
> > exists at all. Future versions of certain web sites might not even allow
> > access with out the ID enabled, some future software might not install
> > without the ID enabled, forcing people to have it enabled.
> >

> That's the problem as like the cookies, they will require it to
> get support at certain websites or to get logged onto their
> system for news etc. I don't like the idea of people keeping up
> with what I'm doing..

Why anyone is crying over the PIII ID on a linux n.g. is beyond me.
I am just sitting back, thinking about all the poor fools stuck with
MS products laughing. On the other hand, it won't be long before someone
writes a watchdog program for MS machines that will report the curent
status of the ID enable/disable.

We (linux users) will have the option of turning this on or off. We
will be able to examine every open-source application for queries to the
processor ID.

Sites that require this ID will be provided with either the processor
ID, or whatever I feel like sending them today. [I miss the feature
in the old Mosaic browser that let me set the http-agent string].

Another thing to keep in mind. Many companies that operate intranets
with firewalls and proxy servers do not want information on their
internal network configuration sent out to the world. If it doesn't exist
already, it would be easy to build a proxy that would strip all cookie
and agent information from http packets.

The one use I consider to be benign, for which this ID has a legitimate
use, is as a built-in 'dongle' for commercial s/w copy protection.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Matter can not be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMC EZ Card 10 - 1208T
Date: 1 Mar 1999 06:25:10 GMT

Will Brickles wrote:

> Which driver do I select to make this card functional?

If you can get this card to work please let me know.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (REvange023)
Subject: Re: I SEE NO REPLYS TO THIS GROUP ????
Date: 1 Mar 1999 06:43:51 GMT

Here's one that I am posting simply to show support on your query.

My request to Linux veterans:
Help us out too who are trying to start to jump into the Linux wagon (or
penguin)!!!

------------------------------

From: Mark Hollett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Cyrix support linux
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:53:46 -0800

I'm running a Cyrix 180 MediaGX.  the only problem I had was with X, the
3.3.3 version of the server now supports mediaGX.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Jorgensen)
Subject: Mediavision "Memphis" kit PAS16 card - ssslllloooowwwww playback . . .
Date: 28 Feb 1999 22:50:36 -0700

        Yes, I know these things are aincent. But there's a place online
selling them for $30, brand new. Guess somebody dug up MV's old stock.

        I've been using a PAS16 Rev. C in my Linux system for years now,
and it's worked reasonably well so I haven't seen much of a reason to
upgrade. I've got a whole other card for high quality general midi so all
I use it for is MP3's.

        The memphis kit makes a pretty decent standalone cd player, and
it's nice to have access to a cdrom drive without going in the closet. (My
linux system is very loud, i keep it behind closed doors)

        I had originally planned to order it and just slide it in.The
Memphis kit comes with a board that carries the same chips (near as i can
tell from available documentation) as a PAS16 Rev. D, which has a
proprietary connector out to an external housing with fairly nice speakers
and a NEC CDR-210 scsi cdrom drive. It's got two lineins, two lineouts,
midi in, and midi out on the case. This saves quite a few wires that would
otherwise be running undernieth the closet door.

        So, I installed it. The modules work fine, don't complain,
/dev/sndstat still says I have a Pro Audio Spectrum 16. But anything that
plays digital audio (mpg123, wavplay, etc) produces what sounds like
someone playing a reel-to-reel tapedeck at 1/2 or maybe 1/4th the recorded
speed. I can put the old Rev. C back in and it works fine.

        Here's my setup. I hope you're impressed:

        IBM PCServer320 w/ dual P133 processors (Micronics motherboard,
Intel Neptune chipset)

        kernel 2.2.2-ac5 running on freshly installed S.u.S.E. 6.0
(catastrophic hardware failure a few weeks ago, trusty root drive died,
reinstalled from scratch) I have compiled the kernel with SMP enabled.
It's the only way to fly, there's just nothing like having two threads
open at once.

        PAS16 is using io 0x0388, dma 7, irq 14 (no ide in this box, and
for some reason irq 5 is being weird)

        This sounds like it's a simple timing issue somewhere in the
driver. I've looked through all the documentation i can find and haven't
found anything that would obviously relate to this sort of thing.

        The best i can figure is that it's some sort of detection code
issue. but my understanding of c is sketchy and i'm not quite sure what
I'm looking at in pas2_card.c

        As i said, the board seems to be indistinguishable from a PAS16
rev. D from a hardware standpoint. The two boards appear to have all the
same chips, with the exception that the Rev. D is shown using a Zilog
5380 scsi chip and the Memphis uses an AMD 5380 chip (surely, this is
entirely irrelevant)

        Is there anybody out there who's familiar with this code and might
be able to offer a suggestion of where to hack next? I have attempted
defining BROKEN_BUS_CLOCK, but it didn't solve the problem. The other
bus-speed-related #define it accepts seems only to relate to very old
motherboards. I suppose i could try it, but the bug it refers to should
also effect my Rev. C

        Any thoughts?

 - Eric

------------------------------

From: Bradley Yen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATX Power Off problem
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 05:50:43 +0000

He doesn't have to have the modem plugged into the phonejack on the wall
(connected to the outside world).  My system turns itself on to when I turn
on the modem.  I used to use my modem to connect to my ISP and when my
system was shutdown/off/not-powered, I would just flick my modem power
switch on and my system would power up.  My computer was configured to
wake/power-up when it detected a ring from the modem.  The modem would
flash all it's lights, including the RD light for Ring Detection.

Anyways, the UPS way is the best.  I've got one on my system, but it's not
hooked up to communicate with my computer - just used incase the power goes
out.

------------------------------

From: "William Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 06:49:08 GMT

You'll need $$$ and a big case. SuperMicro sells cases that are spec'd for
Xeon Slot 2 boards. Most Slot 2 boards will come with onboard SCSI and
ethernet. The most common seems to be an Adaptec 7895 dual channel chipset
and an Intel EtherPro 10/100. Both are supported with kernels 2.0.36 and
higher.

Still, for the price of a Xeon 450 with 512K cache you can get a PIII 500Mhz
or two PII/450s. You be within 90% of the performance of the Xeon.

I'm partial to Tyan SMP boards, but SuperMicro also makes good SMP boards.
The new Tyan 1852 (correct number?) has 6 PCI slots 1 AGP slot and built in
2940U2W scsi. The 1836DLUAN, which I use, has the same specs but is a slot 1
board with a 3940UW onboard.

All the best,

WT

------------------------------

From: "William Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What difference does a dual processor system make?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 06:54:17 GMT

Linux, like most *nix's, will intelligently schedule processes across all
available CPU's. You can really tell the difference with an SMP box on
heavily loaded systems. It remains responsive under much heavier loads.

But, if you apps are primarily single threaded, or a single large process,
most of the SMP benefits will only appear because other processes are
running on the other cpu allowing more "real" cycles for your app.

First things first, make sure you get enough ram and fast , large disks,
preferably SCSI, before investing all of your $$$ in just the CPU's. If you
get the dual board you can always upgrade later if you need to.

WT

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodem woes
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:55:18 -0800

I have been reading tales of winmodem woes on this (and other n.g.s).
At this time, winmodems are not an issue with me, because all of
my ISA-deprived machines 'talk' to my ISP over an ethernet connection
to one machine that does IP masquerading, hence no need for a modem.

However, it seems that the one reason for desiring a Winmodem,
even after the realization of their shortcomings, is the desire to
save scarce ISA slots. So, here is my question:

Are there any PCI serial/parallel port cards (that work with linux)
out there? It seems to me that, if one were available, it would be
a simple matter to add an external modem without wasting ISA slots.

--

Subject: Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kerne
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (allen kurt savegnago)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 06:58:00 GMT

Subject: Re: 2.2.0/2.2.1 SMP kernel problem

TPšIn article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
TPšL/R  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
TPš>I'm testing 2.2.0/2.2.1  SMP kernel on Tyan Tomcat III 1563D (166MM
TPš>dual)
TPš>but my system crashes with internal and external cache bios settings
TPš>enabled.
TPš>Only disabling the settings Linux becomes very stable....
TPš>Is it a known problem for Tyan boards?
TPš>I have an Award Bios v. 4.01 , are there particular settings to solve
TPš>the problem?

TPšI don't know about kernel 2.2 just yet, but I've been running 2.0 on a Tomcat
TPšIII with dual 166-nonMMX processsors for a long time.  I don't have this
TPšproblem.  I'm going to try 2.0 soon and see how it works.

Ditto,

  I have been running a Gigabyte GA-586DX with non-MMX dual Pentium 200Mhz
processor since April of 96.  I have the 2.2.2 kernel running on it and
four other of my machines with no problem.  The 133Mhz 486 does take a long
time to compile though.

                                Best regards,
                                Kurt Savegnago
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 * 1st 2.00 #6533 * Just a crappy tagline

From: Pascal Goguey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 13:34:49 +0000

    Hi there!

    I just got RedHat 5.2 and I have tried to install it, but there is
apparently no support for my graphic card (Matrox MGA 200 AGP).
I have tried to install it as another Matrox because one is never
protected
against a piece of chance, but... too bad for this time.
    Could anybody point me to the proper driver? And I would like to
know how to install it. Supposing I can download it frome somewhere,
what do I do with the file? Can Linux read other floppys?
    Well, sorry for all these newbie questions, but I still know nothing

about Linux...
    If you reply to the group, please send me also a mail.

    Thanks,

    Pascal Goguey
    Geometre et Saltimbanque

------------------------------

From: "Michael Lee Yohe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 01:30:00 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy

>be a criminal offense.) The next Word you buy will not be able to be
>installed or run if the ID is switched off, and there will be no word of
>this on the box(prediction).

Actually - the chip ID itself was never intended to enforce copyright and
licensing of software.  It is, however, designed to facilitate the gap
between the user and the vendor.  I.E. - your chip ID would automatically
associate you as _you_ instead of relying on software to tell the vendor
that you are you.

If software manufacturers were to start requiring the chip ID to be turned
on (or any vendor for that matter) it would assume a breach of the
anti-trust laws.  The FTC would slap law-suits on Intel/vendors in a second.

Think of this chip ID as an "optional" feature - like 128-bit encryption in
your browser.  You could settle for 40-bits, but 128-bit is much better.
And, you're not forced to use the 128-bit encryption feature.

* Michael Lee Yohe                                   Office:      TH N318 *
* UAH ASPIRE System Administrator                    Office: 256-890-6904 *
* UAH CS Assistant Administrator                       Home: 256-828-2667 *
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Web: http://www.aspire.cs.uah.edu/mlyohe *