From: underworld6d9 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:17:29 GMT

i have the yahama opl3-sa3 when i pplay a mp3 it gets stuck at the
beginnig of the song i have no idea on what to do plz help thanks

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reccomendations?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:30:28 -0600

> What do I know? I've been happy for years with a SB 16 isa.
> Nice big transistors on it - and an ide interface :-).

  Heh, I still have a couple of REAL ones lying around - the ones with
Panasonic interfaces.  = )

steve
Domain for replies is "codon"

From: "Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.config
Subject: STB Velocity 4400 + Linux ?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:38:56 GMT

Hi,

I am thinking to upgrade my current set-up with a better video card. I found
a STB Velocity 4400 16Mb PCI on the web but I'd like to make sure it is
supported for Linux before making a move.

Anyone out there have this card along with a working X server ?

Alex

------------------------------

From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for printing to a multifunction machine?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:51:12 -0700

I've gone to that web site but don't see how to download the driver. Where
can I get ljet2p driver?

Thanks,
Daniel

--
To reply to me directly, please remove "ANTISPAM" from the reply-to email
address.

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DFE530TX2B1 + via-rhineII
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:02:14 GMT

> We also have tried several other hubs (10 and 100Mb) always the same
> problem,
> sending os good, receiving not possible.
> If we connect only two computers with via-rihneII NIC's via cross connect
> cable there was never any error, it worked very good.
> We guess the NIC will change his connect rate or from half to full duplex or
> something else during transfere.

If point-to-point works, NICs and driver are good.
Either duplex mismatch or hub noise problem.
Look at driver code to see if half duplex can be forced at boot time.
Check upstream switches for duplex.

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: tape drives
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:17:58 GMT

> > can anyone suggest a good quality tape drive that will work well under
> > linux - in particular suse linux.
>
> My Seagate STT220000N-MC ("Travan NS") is an internal SCSI drive with
> hardware compression.  It writes 10/20 GB tapes.  Works very well, cost
> about $350, plus $130 for 4 tapes, plus the SCSI controller.  I think it's
> fast SCSI-- transfers 1 MB/s.  Came with Backup Exec for Windows, which is

I've been using an HP Colorado Travan-5 (10/20GB).
~950KB/s, EIDE/ATAPI (I use SCSI emulation).
Tapes are $38US or $3.80/GB.
Main benefit for me is tape capacity.  I can do a level0 and 12-14
incremental dumps on a single tape.
--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex)
Subject: modem fails to respond
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:43:20 GMT

I am running Mandrake 7.0 and under KDE, KPPP says that the modem
isn't responding. I have a Rockwell V.90 modem. Its an ISA non-win
modem.  The modem works fine in Windows 9X and NT.  Anyone have ideas
on things to check?

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB Velocity 4400 + Linux ?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:49:55 GMT

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking to upgrade my current set-up with a better video card. I found
> a STB Velocity 4400 16Mb PCI on the web but I'd like to make sure it is
> supported for Linux before making a move.
>
> Anyone out there have this card along with a working X server ?
>
> Alex

 As I remember the 4400 was a Nvidia TNT based card was it not?
If so linux supports it and Xfree86 supports it with the svga server.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cd writer?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:13:52 GMT

C Sanjayan Rosenmund wrote:

> Lyndon wrote:
> >
> > Go to /etc/fstab
> >
> > Go to line that deals with your cdrw
> >
> > change 'hdc' to 'scd0'
> >

> Why scd0?  His burner is ATAPI and *nowhere* does he indicate that he
> has enabled SCSI emulation.  Your solution would have him unable to
> mount the CD at all.
>
> > > I cannot access the CD.  The CD is a HP 8250i CD Writer.  Mandrake sees it
> > > as an IDE/HDC
> > > I tried changing the properties of the device, but that did not help.  If  I
> > > try to view the files through KDE Explorer
> > > it says it cannot open them.  It is mounted, although it says it is a locked
> > > directory.
>
> From the above, I suspect that you have changed the permissions of the
> CDROM device (/dev/hdc) to be accessable to everyone. This is good.
> Now, look at your /etc/fstab file.  It should have a line that looks
> *something* like this:
> /dev/hdc        /mnt/cdrom        iso9660 users,noauto,ro
> 0       2
>
> See that part that says users,noauto,ro (yours may say something
> diferent)?  That is the part you need to look at.  users means that
> any user can mount the drive.  noauto means that Linux will not try to
> mount the drive while booting.  ro means that the drive should be
> mounted "read only" (this is the only way to mount a CDROM).  If the
> permissions for /mnt/cdrom and /dev/hdc allow all users access (go
> ahead and use 777 as a mask) these settings should allow you to mount
> and access the CDROM as any user.  I hope this helps, mail me if you
> need more.
>
> --
> Sanjay
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
>                             Press any key to reboot.

 Let me also add to Sanjay's excellent advice...
If you want to use the CDRW for it intended purpose mainly writing
CD's then you want to enable it as a emulated scsi device. This can
be done with a kernel recompile with disable atapi/cdrom support,
enable scsi/emulation, enable scsi and scsi generic support. THEN
and ONLY then will your cdrw be recognized as scd0. It will also
then become compatible with most of the cdrw software that almost
requieres the scsi emulation in order to work.
If you want more information visit www.linuxdoc.org and find the
howto's and lookup CD-Writing-HOWTO. This requiers some knowledge
of doing a kernel recompile and installation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Support On The "MySmart Pad" I/O Device
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:06:14 GMT

Hi,

I recently purchased a unit of "mysmart pad" which features the buttons
to help one explores the WEB as well as reading e-mails.  It comes with
a CD for Windows9.x and uses a USB connector.  I am wondering if Linux
has the driver for this "mysmart pad" device so that I can use it on my
Linux machine.

TIA.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Sid Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem configuration question...
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:21:05 -0700

I'll give it a try... Thanks

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 06:07:47 GMT
--->> M. Buchenrieder <<---
[EMAIL PROTECTED] typed the following....
-->Sid Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
-->
-->>Os: Caldera Edesktop 2.4
-->
-->>If my setserial shows this ...
-->
-->>=================================================
-->>[root@noname /root]# setserial /dev/ttyS2
-->>/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
-->>=================================================
-->
-->[...]
-->
-->... then you're in trouble. IRQ4 is already occupied by
-->/dev/ttyS0, and it can not be shared properly without specific
-->hardware. Use setserial to give it an IRQ of its own, say,
-->IRQ 5 . See "cat /proc/interrupts" for a list of used IRQs.
-->
-->Michael
-->

--

   Remove year to reply
Q 7 Five 1--FourHundred

From: "greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:20:49 +0800

I had same problem and this fixed it no problems
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/Tutorial/CDburner/pages/cdBurner4.php
3

Just follow the directions

Cheers

Greg

news:h6Ys5.15996$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Writer problem
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:22:49 GMT

Filip Atanassov wrote:

> Hi, could someone please help me?
>
> I have 2 CD drives on the secondary channel ( master is Yamaha 4416,
> slave is CDR-50X ).
>
> Linux version is:
> VALinux 6.2.1 (RH6.2),
> kernel 2.2.14 , recompiled
> WITH SCSI support,
> WITH SCSI emulation,
> NO IDE-ATAPI support.
>
> Cdrecord 1.9
>
> I have the links:
> /dev/cdR ~> /dev/scd0
> /dev/cdW ~> /dev/scd8
> (I tried /dev/cdW ~> /dev/scd1 with same result)
>
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/cdR  /mnt/cdR ......
> /dev/cdW  /mnt/cdW ......
>
> When I try with cdrecord -scanbus I 'm getting a warning saying
> "controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page"
>
> When trying to record a disk (KisoCD) it works somehow but won't write
> more than around 300MB.
>
> If I disconnect the CD-reader warning message disappear and everything
> is fine.
>
> Same hardware configuration works fine with all flavors of Windows.
>
> Would appreciate any idea/help!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Filip
>

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 2.1.36
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4416E        ' '1.0h' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'E-IDE   ' 'CD-ROM 50X      ' '41  ' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *

 You need to upgrade to kernel 2.2.16. This has an updated
atapi interface driver that will recognize the changed configuration
of your reader (would this be an acer 50x by chance?) If so the
acer 50x had some issues with the < version 3 atapi cd driver.
As of kernel 2.2.16 and the 3.0x driver this has been fixed.
Also see www.linuxdoc.org  and the file CD-Writing-HOWTO.
This will explain how to setup the system with the cdrom as an
atapi device and the cdrw and an emulated scsi device.

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Color Stylus 760 and Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:33:19 GMT

"Fulton B. Gonzalez" wrote:

> I'm having a problem configuring this printer under Red Hat 6.2.  The printer
> configuration tool doesn't have this printer among its list; if I choose the
> Epson 740 (presumably its closest relative), I can't seem to get anything
> printed out.  If anyone has gotten this printer to work under Linux, and would
> like to share how they did it, I would appreciate the help!
>
> Fulton B. Gonzalez

 Us the EpsonStylusColor (UP) uniprint driver. Setup with printtool.
Load the following kernel modules also like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Make sure your bios has parallel port setup according to your
printers instructions. Check to see that your bios is using the correct
ioport irq and dma listed below.

modprobe parport.o
modprobe parport_pc.o io=0x0378 irq=7 dma=1
modprobe parport_probe.o
modprobe lp.o parport=0

 I have an epson stylus color 860 this works well for me.
(make sure printer is turned on at boot or no go)

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Config File.
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:43:23 GMT

AAA wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     My question deals with compiling the kernel on RH 6.2. You have the
> option to save configuration after doing make config or make xconfig
> into a file.  Where would the file corresponding to your installed
> kernel (When you first install the system after selecting either custom
> or KDE or GNOME workstation or server) be. In other words, after you do
> the install, does the system keep the config file corresponding to your
> kernel somewhere on the system so for later if you just want to modify
> that as opposed to rebuilding the kernel from scratch and risk
> destroying some features that you hav (Sound in my case)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ahmed
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Well depending on what you are doing a recompile will almost
always be nesessary Unless you want to use mostly modules.
See the post by chuck for the file xconfig (or any kernel config
prog) saves and its location.

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 23:33:14 -0400
From: Mike Profitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live! supported?

Timothy Stark wrote:

> Hello folks:
>
> I like to check with you because I am considering to buy Sound Blaster
> Live! Platnium sound card.  Do Linux support that?
>
> Thank you!
>
> -- Tim Stark
>
> --
> Timothy Stark   <><     Inet: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
> whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
> Amen." -- John 3:16 (King James Version Bible)

You Bet! With the 2.4.x kernel, this drivers can be compiled in the kernel.
It works great and I love it....

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 23:40:27 -0400
From: Mike Profitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hans wrote:

> I'm building a new computer, and I have no idea what sound card to get.
> Any suggestions?

The Sound Blaster Live! is economical and Linux friendly. Particularly
with the 2.4.x kernals. You can compile the drivers right into the kernal.
It works great and I love it.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Bruce Forsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer for Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:48:05 GMT

In article <8p0rd5$enl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I would like to get myself a good printer for Linux, but I haven't ran
> across any comparisons or the like as of yet.  I am most
> interested in excellent b&w output with good speed.  Color is not a
> must, but I wouldn't mind it.  The biggest priority, though, is that
the
> Linux support is rock solid -- therefore I've been thinking about
> getting a printer that has native PostScript.
>
> I am willing to spend up to $500, but I am also very interested in
> cheaper solutions that fit my needs.  I have looked into some of
> HP's printers and found that the DeskJet 1220C/PS would be
> great, but it's a little too much and I don't need the large page
> abilities it has.

I bought a Brother HL-1270N. I love it. It is a BW laser that has a
resolution of 1200X600. It has USB, parrellel port, and 10/100 Base T
TCP/IP support. I have not tried the USB support under Linux. It
also has postscript emulation (BR-SCRIPT) built-in. It comes with
4MB memory which is fine for text postscript printing. You will need
to upgrade the memory to do graphics PS printing. It takes 1 non-EDO
72 pin SIMM upto 32 MB. Don't buy its little brother the 1240 its
memory can't be expanded and is not good for linux. The 1270N goes
for around $500. So far I have had only one page that would not print
with the postscript enumlation. Having PS builtin is nice. No more
messing with ghostscript.

Bruce Forsberg

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: SMP with Mandrake 7.1 and dual CPU performance ???
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:54:23 -0400

Seti does not support dual-processors right now.  The only way is to run two
copies at a time (in separate dirs) and process two packets at once.  With
this system, you almost get 2x the packets but, no increase in workunit
time...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...